Straight To The Point
TheBreville Joule Oven Air Fryer Pro is a great option if youre looking for a versatile, efficient, countertop-friendlyyet still spacioustoaster oven. However, if you want a smart oven that connects to your phone for added convenience and control, we found the app lacking in utility its true function is to provide recipes.
I love toaster ovens. I use mine to toast my daily bread, and now, many come with a myriad of other handy functions . And, if the marketing material is to be believed, the Breville Joule Oven Air Fryer Pro is the Hummer of toaster ovens it can toast, slow cook, bake, broil, roast, dehydrate, proof, and, yes, supposedly air fry to crisp and golden perfection. It also boasts connectivity to an app that uses the same technology as the Joule sous vide app . I used this bulked-up toaster oven daily for more than a month to find out if it could make do on so many promises.
Full transparency: Serious Eats collaborated with Breville to provide some recipes for its Joule app, but all opinions are our own, and we reviewed the oven as objectively as we would any other piece of gear.
Serious Eats / Grace Kelly
Air Fryer Ovenfrozen French Fries
If youdidnt get the memo or read our last post about it, we are new owners of an AirFryer Oven, or to be exact we have the Power Air Fryer Oven Pro.
Thoughhere in Europe it goes by its European name of the Power Air Fryer Oven Deluxe.
If you have missed our introduction to our new Air Fryer Oven I recommend you read our Power Air Fryer Oven Unboxing and watch the video.
Forthose of you that are new to Recipe This, let me tell you that we are Air Fryeraddicts. After getting our first one many, many years ago, we have preferredthe Philips brand. We have more than 300 Air Fryer Recipes onthe blog.
But wealways feel restricted like we want more of a food area to work with and thatis the main reason why we have purchased an Air Fryer Oven.
It isan exciting time and like most new Air Fryer owners we want to cook frozen Frenchfries in the air fryer and this is exactly what we are doing today.
BUT to make it more interesting, we are trying 2 different ways to make air fryer oven French fries and including a video of us as we cook them.
How Do I Cook Frozen French Fries In An Air Fryer
Cooking frozen foods in your air fryer is a game-changer. You can cook certain foods quicker than your oven preheats.
This air fryer frozen french fries technique requires no oiland still comes out with crispy results!
Fill your air fryer no more than halfway full of frenchfries. Cook at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, shaking the basket every 5minutes.Since all frozen french fries are different, its very important to keep aclose eye on them to make sure they dont overcook. If the fries start to browntoo fast, turn your heat down to 350 degrees F.
I like to only cook the amount I need for that night andremake them again the next night, but I do include directions on how to reheatyour fries below.
Don’t Miss: Cuisinart Toa-65 Digital Convection Oven
Big Boss Air Fryer Super Sized 16 Quart 1300w Large Air Fryer Glass Air Fryer For Healthy Food Air
- OIL LESS & HEALTHIER CHOICE: Big Boss Oil-Less Air Fryer fry with little to no oil and still keep the deep-fried crispy texture of food frying bowl and pan combo separates food in the basket from fat and oil dripping down the pan.
- ALL-IN-1 MACHINE: Big Boss Oil-Less Air Fryer is not only an air fryer. With wide temperature range from 180â to 400â, this large air fryer allows you to air fry, bake, grill, roast, toast.
- 360 EVEN & POWERFUL HEATING: Big Boss Oil-Less Air Fryer Circulates super-hot air around food to cook your meals faster thanks to the 1300W powerful built-in fan and 360Â° air convection system.
- COOK LIKE A PRO: Big Boss Oil-Less Air Fryer oven offers adjustable time and temperature control via built-in Technology to ensure delicious results for foods like meat, seafood, and vegetables, and includes a cookbook containing 50 popular recipes.
- SUPER SIZED CAPACITY: Large-sized 16-quart frying bowl easily fits a whole chicken for 3-6 people â great for dinner parties the container is deep to leave enough space between food and heating tubes to avoid overheating.
- CLEAN IN A SNAP: Detach the nonstick frying basket from the pan, effortlessly rinse and wipe off the water â or just put them both into a dishwasher.
- SAFELY COOKING: Big Boss Oil-Less Air Fryer has the function of overheating protection and automatic shut-off, which is also with advanced ETL listed/FDA compliant safety technology for long-lasting durability.
What Kind Of Oil To Use
I used a combination of expeller pressed canola and coconut oil, which I typically use for skillet cooking and roasting veggies. Any kind of vegetable oil would work.
Keep in mind that if you use olive oil the potatoes will brown more quickly without necessarily being cooked all the way through. I did not enjoy that.
You only need about a tablespoon or so of oil, tossed to coat, in order to help crisp up the potatoes.
Recommended Reading: Samsung Over The Range Microwave Ovens
A Smaller Air Fryer Reheats Foods In No Time
Going small for your air fryer doesn’t mean sacrificing quality. Previously, I would reheat foods in one of the best microwaves, but would always find that fried dishes would lose their crispy texture. Now, I simply pop my leftovers or takeouts in the air fryer and heat for one minute. Not only will it warm foods quickly, but they’ll have that delicious crunch and fresh taste that you can only get from deep frying. In addition, a tiny air fryer is ideal if you just want to reheat single portions each time, without wasting energy.
Baked French Fries In The Oven
These baked fries will be super crispy, even in the oven! Here are some tips for getting it right:
- Cook at a high temp! I recommend 450, and if you have a convection setting, use that. **Note, my old oven used to smoke at 450, so I had to cook them at 425. It took a little longer for them to cook.
- Line your sheet pan with parchment paper to avoid your fries sticking.
- Spread your fries into a nice, even layer. Dont crowd them, as they will end up steaming instead of crisping.
- Spray your fries liberally using an olive oil sprayer, then season with fine salt and whatever other seasonings you like.
- Bake on 450 for 20 minutes, then flip and finish cooking for about 10 minutes.
You May Like: Bosch Gas Stove And Oven
How To Make Homemade French Fries
To start, wash the potatoes with a vegetable rag or brush. Peel the skin off the potatoes if you prefer, but I recommend keeping the skins on.
Once all of the potatoes are in the water agitate the potatoes until the water becomes cloudy. Pour out the water and refill the bowl with cold water again. Allow the potatoes to soak for 15-30 minutes.
Next, drain the water and place the potatoes on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Pat with paper towels to remove excess water. Allow the potatoes to air dry for a minimum of 15 minutes.
Set the Air Fry cooking temperature to 400°F. Return the dry potatoes to the mixing bowl and add avocado oil. Toss the potatoes to coat them lightly in oil.
Add seasonings to the bowl and toss again to coat evenly.
Dump the oiled and seasoned potatoes onto the Frigidaire ReadyCook Air Fry Tray. Spread the potatoes out into one layer.
Place the air fry tray into the Frigidaire Air Fry Oven with a prepared drip tray two rack spaces below the air fry tray to prevent any crumbs or drips from falling onto the bottom of the oven.
Air fry French Fries for 20 minutes turning with a spatula halfway through the cooking cycle. For extra crispy fries see the tips section below.
Air Fryer Times Depending On Machine Size:
Small Air Fryers : Will need to cook in batches with one potato at a time. Cook at 325 degrees F for 10 minutes, then 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Medium Sized Air Fryers and Nuwave Air Fryer : Follow directions in this article
Large Air Fryers : Cook at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, then 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes checking the food every 5 minutes or so.
*Each air fryer can cook at different speeds, so its important to still check your food every 5 minutes to avoid overcooking it.
Read Also: Boned Chicken Thighs In Oven
Can I Prep These Fries Ahead Of Time And Freeze
Guys. YES. This is game changing information here, so buckle up! You can 100% prep a BIG batch of these fries and freeze them to pull out whenever you have a fry craving or need a quick side!
Heres how you do it:
How To Cut Potatoes For Fries
To create fries that crisped but didnt burn, I found that cutting the potatoes into matchsticks that were ¼-inch wide on each side and 3 to 4 inches in length worked best.
- In order for your fries to cook evenly in the same amount of time, its important for them to be cut the same size.
- I suggest using a mandoline for easy cutting and to ensure uniform fries.
Read Also: Bbq Chicken In Oven Recipe
Tips On Making The Perfect Air Fryer French Fries
- Soak the potato in cold water this removes the excess starch from the potato. This trick helps the fries from sticking to each other or the surface.
- Pat the potato dry this makes the oil coat better and makes the fries crisp better.
- Cut the potatoes evenly this ensures that all the fries are air fried evenly. If some are bigger or smaller then those pieces might end up getting under-cooked or overcooked.
- Dont crowd nor overlap the fries on the air fryer basket this ensures the heat is properly circulating and cooking all sides of the fry.
Are These Baked Fries Healthy
Yes! I feel like fries and potatoes in general get a bad rap, but they are, in fact, a healthy choice as long as you eat the proper portion. Potatoes contain fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6 and when they are prepared this way, they are an excellent carb based side dish.
For the 21 Day Fix, potatoes are a yellow container food and half of a large russet potato is 1 yellow.
Also Check: Electric Stove With Convection Oven
How Do I Keep My Turkey Moist
The Thanksgiving meal is an important time for many people, and one of the most important aspects of that meal is keeping your turkey moist. Here are three tips to help you achieve that:
It Cooks French Fries To Perfection
Each time Id oven-cook frozen fries, they would never have a consistent crunch, and instead have a disappointing soft texture. In which case, Id crank up the gas and leave it in to cook for a little longer . But cooking fries in my tiny air fryer offers impressive results each time. Ideal for cooking small portions, fries come out much crispier and with a texture to rival the fast-food restaurants. If youre looking for inspiration, check out these 5 best air fryer recipes for restaurant-quality food.
Don’t Miss: Kitchen Aid Wall Oven Microwave Combo
How Do I Clean The Breville Joule Oven Air Fryer Pro
Before washing, the manual recommends unplugging the oven. To clean the exterior body, use a soft, damp sponge with a non-abrasive liquid cleaner or mild spray solution. To clean the glass door, Breville recommends using a glass cleaner or mild detergent and a damp sponge. Stay away from metal scouring pads and abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the surface. When cleaning the interior , wipe the walls with a soft, damp sponge and mild spray solution , then dry. Breville recommends avoiding cleaning and touching the quartz heating elements.
Making French Fries In The Air Fryer
There are some foods that just taste best when theyre fried, but that arent exactly healthy. French fries is one of those foods . Thankfully, theres an alternative to your deep-fried fries. Air fryers cook food by circulating hot air around it. That means the crispy texture and nice brown color two things that make a great french fry are still achieved!
These beautiful air fryer french fries have everything you love about classic fries without excessive oil. The air fryer bakes the potatoes from all directions resulting in a light and fluffy bite with a perfectly crisp potato skin. The perfect side to my air fryer salmon, oven-roasted chicken breast, crispy fried chicken legs, or any other main dish of choice.
This post contains affiliate links. See the affiliate disclaimer here.
Don’t Miss: How To Roast Chicken Breast In The Oven
Crispy French Fries In Under 30 Minutes Without Deep
I have long contended that potatoes, like eggs, are one of the most perfect foods. But for different reasons, of course.
My professed love for potatoes means I am always trying to find ways to prep them and cook them as quickly as possible.
What if there were a way to achieve crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside French fries in less than a half an hour? If I told you that it was possible to pull this off without the mess or hassle of deep frying potatoes, would you believe me?
Well there is a way and, yes, its true. Enter the air fryer.
Ingredients For The Best Fries
The ingredients needed for homemade fries are so simple and you most likely already have them in your kitchen.
- Potatoes For this recipe we use russet potatoes you can also use yukon gold potatoes.
- Oil This recipe calls for olive oil but you can use vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Seasoning We season the fries with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder, but you can use any of your go-to spices.
Read Also: Breaded Pork Chops Baked In The Oven
What Are Some Fix Approved Condiments For Fries
I love dipping fries in some good old ketchup. I look for clean ingredients and count each tablespoon as one of my daily sweetener teaspoons. Or you can make this super yummy Healthy Homemade Ketchup from The Foodie and The Fix.
Is The Breville Joule Oven Air Fryer Pro Worth It
While we loved using this toaster oven and found all of its functions performed well, the app isnt quite up to our functional standardsyet. However, some might find app notifications, Autopilot, and recipes useful. And, of course, its still a fantastic toaster oven loaded with other great features .
Don’t Miss: Best Countertop Convection Microwave Oven 2020
Crispy French Fries In The Air Fryer
French fries are so good. There is nothing better than a nice crispy french fry, especially one that doesnt leave your fingers covered in oil. These crispy air fryer french fries are the best way to get fries that arent oily and taste delicious. Crispy and firm, they are easy to make and have none of the guilt of fast-food french fries. Youre sure to love their texture and flavor.
Lets Make Some French Fries
These frozen fries become transformed by the air fryer! In a matter of minutes you have incredible fries ready to be devoured. Its a total meal saver when you need a side dish to go with your ultimate tuna melt or toasted cheese. Or just when you need a salty good snack.
- Place: Place your frozen fries in the air fryer basket.
- Season: Spray with olive oil lightly and sprinkle with desired salt.
- Bake: Air fry at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Give the basket a good shake and cook for 5-8 minutes more or till done as you like them.
Also Check: Cook Bacon In Convection Oven
It’s Ideal For Quick Party Snacks
Whether Im hosting a party, or have a few friends over, my tiny air fryer has saved the day for quickly rustling up bite-sized snacks. Tasty treats such as spring rolls, chicken wings, vegetable samosas or any other finger-foods come out crispy and delicious. Best of all, it cooks your food in half the time that oven baking takes, so your guests wont have to wait too long for their starters.