Bbq Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
These cheesy BBQ Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs are fun and easy to make. Perfect for the oven or grill. Serve them on buns or on their own for a lower carb treat!
This recipe came about because my boys love bacon. I know most of us like bacon, but their love runs deep. One night I was feeling ambitious and fun when it was time to make their dinner, so I surprised them with bacon-wrapped hot dogs. They were more than a little excited!
My husband I felt kind of left out since I only made two for the kids, so I wanted to make them again. I also wanted to make them again to show you guys because they were such a hit! I decided that the way I made them originally wrapping the turkey dogs in bacon and cooking them in a pan wasnt really enough to qualify as a recipe. Thats when BBQ sauce and cheese got involved.
Now, one could say that this still isnt exactly a recipe since I suggest using bottled BBQ sauce, but thats OK. Im pretty sure you like recipe shortcuts as much as I do! There are about a million options for BBQ sauce, so this way you can choose your favorite or make your own if you like. I always look for a sauce that is a little spicy and doesnt contain high fructose corn syrup, but otherwise I dont really have any brand loyalties. Whats your favorite?
Dont Miss: Ge 1.6 Cu Ft Over The Range Microwave Oven
Hot Dogs Wrapped In Bacon
We first discovered bacon-wrapped hot dogs years ago while attending a game at the Los Angeles Coliseum. There were vendors everywhere pushing street carts, selling delicious grilled hot dogs, wrapped in bacon and topped with sizzling peppers. The amazing smells coming off their baking sheets convinced us to try them.
My childrens lives and our hot dog worlds were forever changed! I recreated our street fare from L.A. as soon as we got home! Over the years we have served these dogs so many times at BBQs with our neighbors and friends. Each time we make them they are always the first ones to go! If youve never spoiled your taste buds with one of these, you have to make them!
How To Make Bacon
These memorable hot dogs come together so quickly, that youll wonder why you havent made them this way before! Heres how to make them:
Don’t Miss: Ge Profile Oven Control Panel Reset
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog Food Safety
- Serve: Dont leave your bacon wrapped hot dog at room temperature longer than two hours. Bacteria would also like a bite of your food.
- Store: You can keep cooked hot dogs in your fridge for up to three days.
- Freeze: You can freeze cooked hot dogs and they will last up to 4 months, but the bacon complicates the reheating process.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
How Do You Keep Bacon Warm And Crispy
Grill openings are often seen on hot dogs, but have you ever grill them with the lid open. If so, you may be wondering if its a good idea.
Grillers have several benefits when grilling hot dogs with the lid open. For one, it creates more of a direct heat source on the dog, which results in a hotter and more cookeddog.
Additionally, the openness of the grill allows for more airflow to escape and helps keep your food hotter for longer.
Also Check: How To Cook Beyond Burger In Oven
Recommended Reading: Chicago Pizza And Oven Grinder Company
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs Aka Danger Dogs
Make these bacon wrapped hot dogs anyway you like! I give tips on getting the bacon nice and crispy and how to keep it from un-rolling. Have you ever heard of a danger dog?
So Ill be honest, I had never heard of Danger Dogs until today. Of course, I have heard of bacon wrapped hot dogs, but in Mexico and Los Angeles, street vendors make bacon wrapped hot dogs and call them danger dogs. We learn something new every day!
I think grilling is a very common method for making this recipe, but not everyone wants to use a grill or has a grill. I prefer to use the oven.
My free Low Carb Jumpstart tells you everything you need to know to get started!
After a couple of attempts making these, I found that my hot dogs split and the bacon started to unwrap from the hot dog. Here are all of my tips to prevent this!
How To Make Bacon Wrapped Cheese Dogs
STEP ONE: Start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees F. Slice into each hot dog lengthwise down the middle about halfway in, making sure not to slice all the way through. Gently stuff the middle of each hot dog with shredded cheese.
STEP TWO: Wrap two slices of pre-cooked bacon around each hot dog. Secure the bacon slices with toothpicks if necessary.
STEP THREE: Place the Bacon Wrapped Cheese Hot Dogs on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bacon is crispy. Once finished, place a bacon-wrapped hot dog into a hot dog bun, top with your favorite condiments, and enjoy!
Read Also: Double Oven Electric Slide In Range
Serving Suggestions For This Hot Dog Recipe
OK, so you might be wonderingwhat the heck is the lettuce here for? Trying to make these indulgent hot dogs healthy or something???
Certainly not, we understand that this is not a healthy recipe, we arent here for that. What we are here for is the most epic flavor and texture experience that you can have, and thats why the lettuce has shown up. There are a lot of big, rich flavors here with the beef hot dogs, the salty bacon and our sweet and spicy glaze. Adding a piece of cool and crunchy lettuce cuts through all those flavors making the perfect hot dog bite!
Kitchen Essentials For Cooking:
- These Rubbermade containers are perfect for storing and packing food.
- These silicone tongs are great for flipping and grasping food.
- This Henckel Knife is my favorite for slicing and dicing in the kitchen.
- I love using this non-stick bakeware for all of my cooking.
This is my favorite way to cook hot dogs during the cooler months. While baked hot dog nights are a family favorite, there are plenty of different ways to cook good hot dogs!
Recommended Reading: Commercial Wood Fired Pizza Oven
Also Check: Temp To Cook Chicken In The Oven
How Long Does It Take To Cook Bacon In The Oven At 375
Place the bacon in a cold oven, and set the oven temperature to 375°F. Bake the bacon in the oven for 15-20 minutes total. If you are doing more than one pan of bacon, rotate sheet pans from top to bottom halfway through. If you are not using a baking rack, flip the bacon strips halfway through cooking.
Are You A Foodie Too
Hey home chefs, if youre looking for more gourmet hot dogs, see these tortilla hot dogs. Theyre like little hot dog taquitos! For the perfect cookout hot dog and burger pairing, see how to make burger patties from scratch its easier than youd think!
I want to know what you think of this tasty recipe! Find me on Instagram @sipbitego to tag me and connect.
People message me photos of their finished recipes and ask for tips all the time, so dont be shy!
What to cook next?
Learn to cook my favorite steak recipe for beginners: TRI TIP.
Perfect for a date night in, holiday, game day, or family meal on Sip Bite Go Im showing you how to prepare tri tip roasts in ovens, on gas grills, how to sous vide tri tip, and how to smoke tri tip, too.
Results are incredibly flavorful and juicy!
Recommended Reading: Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Round Dutch Oven
The Dad Add: Pickle Relish
I can eat a cheesy hot dog as-is with nothing else and be pretty content. But I have nothing to do while the hot dogs bake anyway, so I like to chop up a quick cheater giardiniera with common store-bought pickled veggies.
I use a mix of dill pickles, spicy pickled cauliflower, and banana peppers, which adds a zesty crunch and cuts through some of the richness of the hot dogs. I chop the mix pretty finely since its going on the dogs.
I recommend making a double batch and keeping it in the fridge. Giardiniera is pretty solid on any deli sandwich, also.
What I Learned From My Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs Experiments
- These can be made on the grill if you keep it covered to minimize flame flare-ups. I love the grill flavor. But if you are fussy about having parts of your bacon dogs charred, best go the oven route.
- Toothpicks to hold the bacon in place are definitely optional. They may have been marginally helpful for using the grillmy bacon ends flopped open a bit, but kind of didnt care.
- Thin-sliced bacon is perfect if you want your bacon wrapped hot dogs crispy .
- One slice of bacon per hotdog worked great one package of bacon covered about 2 packages of hotdogs.
- Youll want to make extras Bacon Dogs! They are just as tasty warmed up.
- If you want to stuff with cheese, dont even bother with mild flavors. I tried slicing the hot dogs and shoving some Harvati in there before wrapping and could not even taste it. Sharp cheddar could work, but really? It was good enough without it that I didnt find the extra fuss warranted.
You May Like: Self Cleaning Oven Instructions Ge
Other Chili Dog Recipes Youll Love
These oven baked hot dogs are the best hot dogs ever. Youll love making them and indulging your familys hot dog cravings.
Looking for other chili dog style recipes? Try these:
If youve tried these OVEN BAKED HOT DOGS, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on , , and to see more amazing recipes and whatever else weve got going on!
Also Check: Samsung Oven Air Fryer Tray
Storing Them In The Freezer
If you want to make them last longer, you might be wonderingwhether it is possible to freeze hot dogs. It can be risky to store them this way since freezing hot dogs incorrectly will make them have freezer burns.
However, if you know the proper way to store them, they will last for 4 months in the freezer. Put them in an airtight container designed for freezers or sealable freezer bag. You can also wrap them very tightly in aluminum foil. Make sure that the cold air cant make contact with hot dogs.
Remember to write the freezing date on the container/ freezer bag so you can eat them before they start to go bad. Its also not a bad idea to consider some recipes featuring leftover hot dogsto utilize the unfinished hot dogs in your fridge/freezer before they show signs of spoilage.
Don’t Miss: Outdoor Fireplace Kits With Pizza Oven
Why Youll Love These Bacon
Anyone who likes a hot dog is going to love this recipe. I mean, its bacon + hot dog + a bunch of toppings- whats not to love?!? Not to mention:
- Flavorful: Smoky bacon accents the salty hot dogs, all topped with shredded lettuce and fresh juicy cherry tomatoes are the perfect combination of flavors to wake up your taste buds and make you enjoy your lunch.
- Fast & Easy: You have TWO different ways you can cook these hot dogs- Make these hot dogs at home and then bring them to your cookout or grill them at the BBQ! Both are quick and easy to do.
- Customizable: You have the freedom to use any of your favorite hot dog toppings. Make them taste like Tex-Mex, or make some Chicago-style hot dogs. Add slaw like in West Virginia the choices are endless!
- Perfect For Cookouts: This recipe is really easy to double or even triple to feed a crowd. You can even make a toppings bar and let everyone go to town.
How To Cook Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs In Air Fryer:
- Step 1 Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. If your air fryer does not have a preheat option, then run the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes to warm it up to medium heat.
- Step 2 Coat the basket in oil. Rub the air fryer basket with oil so that the hot dogs do not stick to the basket. Place the hot dogs in the air fryer basket. Cook at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes.
- Step 3 Flip the hot dogs. Cook for 5-6 more minutes at 400 degrees F until the bacon is cooked through and crispy.
- Step 4 Remove the hot dogs from the air fryer. Allow them to sit for 5 minutes. Remove the toothpicks. Then serve on the hot dog buns and enjoy!
Jump to recipe for the complete instructions.
You May Like: Bake Chicken Legs In Oven
How To Cook Hot Dog In Toaster Oven
Preheat your toaster oven to 350°F . While it is heating up, make 3-4 small cuts on each hot dog and place them on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil. Place the tray of hot dogs in the preheated oven. Bake the hot dogs for 6-8 minutes.
Hi, I’m Kelly. I’ve been a dog trainer for 12 years, working at all levels of competition, from basic obedience to competition obedience, and in a variety of venues. I’ve also been an instructor at the National Dog Trainer’s Association and have given seminars on basic dog training to several local pet store chains. My articles have appeared in a variety of magazines including Pets Magazine, Action Dog and Puppy Love.
Myth Busting: Dont Pierce Hot Dogs With A Fork Before Cooking
Especially for grilling and steaming there is a school of thought to pierce the hot dogs with a fork before cooking. This allows venting of any steam from the juices heating up.
The goal is to prevent the hot dog case from bursting when cooked over high heat. Mainly on the grill or in a microwave.
DONT PIERCE HOT DOGS!This allows the juices to come out and the hot dog to become dry and less flavorful.
The cooking methods Im sharing here are successful WITHOUT piercing the hot dog.
Also Check: Black Decker Air Fryer Toaster Oven
Don’t Miss: Wood Burning Stove With Oven
How To Cook Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog On The Grill:
- Prepare Hot Dogs Wrap each of the hot dogs with the slices of bacon. Making sure not to overlap the bacon so that it cooks evenly. Secure both ends of the bacon to the hot dog with toothpicks.
- Preheat Grill and Oil Grates Preheat the grill over medium heat . Rub the grill grates with olive oil or spray with a non-stick cooking spray so that the hot dogs do not stick to the grill.
- Add hot dogs to grill Place the bacon wrapped hot dogs on the grill. Cook with the grill lid closed for 8-12 minutes until the bacon is crisp and browned.
- Serve and Enjoy Remove the hot dogs from the grill. Allow them to sit for 5 minutes. Remove the toothpicks. Then serve on the hot dog buns and enjoy!
Tips For Making Blt Hot Dogs
- Hot dog brands: I recommend using a good-quality brand with a natural casing for the best flavor and snap. Boars Head and Nathans are both excellent brands.
- Soak in beef: For a hoppy twist, soak your hot dogs in your favorite beer. Youll need 1 or 2 bottles. You can use any beer you like drinking to soak your hot dogs. I typically use light or lager beer, depending on what I have!
- Toppings: Drizzle mayonnaise down the dog and top with lettuce and tomatoes
Recommended Reading: Frozen Hash Browns In Oven