How Long Does It Take To Cook Drumsticks In The Oven
All oven will vary, but in general, these chicken legs cook at 400°F for roughly 25-30 minutes when cooked on the center rack. The chicken should be cooked through and the internal temperature reach 165°F. To ensure that sticky, crisp glaze, I like to broil the chicken legs just before serving.
Tip: Using an oven-safe meat thermometer is a great way to check for doneness!
How To Bake Chicken Drumsticks
- If chicken drumsticks are frozen, defrost in the fridge 1-3 days before.
- Pat chicken drumsticks dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Place chicken drumsticks on a large foil or parchment lined baking pan. Lightly sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Mix together barbecue sauce and honey in a small bowl. Brush both sides of drumsticks with sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 375º F. Rotate drumsticks and generously coat tops with rest of sauce.
- Bake 2025 minutes more, or until chicken reaches a safe internal temp of 165º F.
- Remove and let cool slightly before serving.
How Long Are They Good For:
SERVE: You can keep the drumsticks at room temperature for about 2 hours before they will need to be refrigerated.
STORE: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 4-5 days. To reheat, place the chicken on a lightly baking dish and heat in a 325 degree F oven for 10-20 minutes or until heated through.
FREEZE: You can freeze these drumsticks just dont put the final slathering of BBQ sauce on them. Store them in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 2 months.
What Side Dishes to Serve with Baked BBQ Chicken Drumsticks:
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and place the chicken on a clean cutting board. Quickly dry chicken with pieces of paper towel.
- Cover the chicken pieces with the rub and transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Use tongs to turn the chicken over and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 ° F.
- Adjust oven rack 6 inches from broiler and heat broiler. Broil chicken until lightly charred, about 5-10 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through broiling.
- Brush chicken with one-third of sauce and continue to broil until lightly charred, about 5 minutes, flipping and brushing chicken with more sauce halfway through broiling. Brush chicken with remaining sauce. Serve.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Wings In The Oven
More Comfort Food Dinners You’ll Love
- Homemade Spaghetti and Meatballs features a quick and easy marinara sauce and perfect baked meatballs!
- Cheesy Broccoli and Rice Casserole with Chicken is a classic American comfort food casserole well deserving of a comeback! Featuring melty Colby Jack cheese and a crunchy Cornflake topping. The perfect comfort food casserole!
- Oven-Baked Crusted Pork Chops features pork chops with a crispy panko breading. Always tender, never dry this easy pork recipe will be your familys new dinnertime favorite!
- Fork-Tender Pot Roast is slow-cooked, savory and smothered in a rich brown gravy. This just might be the most wanted comfort food dish of all! And, this one, in particular, shines far above the rest thanks to a few simple steps other recipes are leaving behind.
- Slow-Cooker Spare Ribs are as close to ribs hot off the pit as youll get, and although cooked indoors and in a crock pot, they yield the perfect bite with a burst of big BBQ flavor. Best of all? Theyre seriously easy to make.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Super Easy! When it comes to cooking chicken, it doesnt get much easier than these baked drumsticks. Once you have seasoned them, just slide them in the oven and let them cook.
So Tasty! Think about why friend chicken is so yummy, it has a toasty outside that seals in all the juiciness of the chicken! These BBQ drumsticks do the same thing, but with delicious barbecue sauce!
It’s Versatile! I love making these with drumsticks, but you can use your favorite chicken pieces!
Read Also: Slide-in Electric Range With Coil Burners And Convection Oven
Tips For Making Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Use good quality chicken for the best flavor
- If your drumsticks are frozen put in the fridge to defrost 1-3 days before
- Pat the chicken dry with kitchen paper to remove excess moisture and helps them crisp a bit
- Dont rinse chicken beforehand
- Make sure to season the chicken well with salt and pepper before brushing with the glaze so it sticks
- Cover baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup
- Dont cover chicken drumsticks when baking. This will create a soggy skin.
- Rotate chicken legs halfway for even baking and a more crisp skin
- Glaze the other side chicken legs when you rotate to keep moist and infuse more glaze into chicken
What Are Some Good Sides To Serve With Drumsticks
A lot of good and tasty sides go great with these drumsticks. From a simple salad to rice or mashed potatoes you can make almost any side with this meal. Try some of these sides!
Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes – Mashed potatoes are my favorite side dish! These simple and creamy Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes are made with a few simple ingredients and done in less than 20 minutes.
Roasted Ranch Carrots – Need a quick side dish recipe that the entire family will love? Try these simple and flavorful Roasted Ranch Carrots. Made with three ingredients these roasted carrots are perfectly seasoned with ranch seasoning.
Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts – These Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts are perfect in the air fryer. They turn crispy, and full of flavor when seasoned properly. This is the best way cook Brussel Sprouts.
If you tried this recipe or any of my recipes I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below. You can also connect with me on , , , and .
I would love for you to follow along and discover more amazing recipes.
Show me what you are making, tag us or use hashtag #TDOARH
You May Like: Recipes For Pork Loin In The Oven
Tips For Making The Best Baked Bbq Chicken Drumsticks:
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken legs make a delicious dinner. However, chicken thighs or chicken breasts would work just as well. Remember that you will need to adjust the cooking time, depending on the cut and size of your chicken.
- Want an even deeper flavor? Marinate the chicken in the seasoning blend in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- No need for homemade bbq sauce, though you can use that if you prefer. I like to use my favorite store-bought kind for taste and convenience.
- While broiling the chicken legs just before serving isnt necessary, it will help the bbq sauce stay put and give it that crispy, sticky finishing touch.
Tips To Perfect Baked Bbq Chicken Drumsticks & Faqs
This recipe is simple, but following a couple tried and true tips will help your baked chicken legs turn out perfect every time:
- Add Sauce Slowly Over Time. Layering bbq sauce slowly over chicken drumsticks as the chicken drumsticks bake helps the crust become crunchy and delicious.
- Dont Rush the Magic! Its hard to let chicken drumsticks cook for a while, especially when they smell as good as these BBQ Chicken Drumsticks do, but for the fat to render and the skin to become crunchy and irresistible, they need time! Let the chicken develop flavors and fight the urge to rush it too quickly, and let the fat and tendons break down on their own, resulting in perfect baked chicken legs.
- Layer the flavor! Adding layers and layers of flavor helps bring out the rich, smoky flavor youd normally only get from a hot grill!
- Let it crisp. Let the sauce crisp a bit and develop a lovely crunchy bark by layering sauce on as it cooks dont just coat it with all the sauce at once.
To reheat on the grill:
- Get coals lit and arranged, or light gas grill and set to high, and bring to 350 degrees.
- Baste chicken drumsticks with BBQ sauce.
- Place chicken drumsticks in foil pouch.
- Add to grill and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, until chicken is piping hot.
- Finish directly on grill for crunchier chicken drumsticks.
To Reheat in a Pan:
Don’t Miss: Triple Wall Oven With Microwave
Tips Bbq Baked Chicken Legs And Thighs
For Baked BBQ Chicken Legs and Thighs without rubbery skin, there are three important things to keep in mind:
- Use bone-in, skin-in legs, thighs .
- Pan -sear the chicken before it goes into the oven.
- The barbecue sauce you pick is important! See tips above.
- How you bake the chicken matters:
- First, bake it covered to cook the chicken through without drying it out.
- Then, increase the oven temperature, and bake it uncovered to help the sauce stay put on the chicken.
Why Make This Recipe
Chicken drumsticks are an inexpensive cut of chicken making this dish budget-friendly.
The BBQ sauce is easy to make and gives the chicken a sweet and smoky flavor. Feel free to use store bought barbecue sauce instead!
Cooking the chicken legs in the oven with a cover results in a juicy tender meat that isn’t dry.
The bbq drumsticks can be served as a main course with any side, or as a high protein snack.
You May Like: Outdoor Fireplace With Pizza Oven
How To Make Bbq Chicken Drumsticks In The Oven:
***Check out the recipe video in the recipe card below!
Sweet And Sticky Oven Baked Bbq Chicken Drumsticks
No need to get out the grill when you can make these sweet and spicy bbq chicken drumsticks in the oven! These easy baked chicken legs take only about 10 minutes of prep time and only 5 ingredients!
Now, I love grilled chicken as much as anybody, but there are sometimes when you don’t feel like messing with the grill.
Even though I have a gas grill and there isn’t much messing to do, there is something so satisfying about yummy bbq chicken legs that you made oh so easily in your oven!
These sweet and spicy bbq chicken drumsticks only take about 10 minutes of prep work, have only 5 ingredients and are delicious!
You just tweak some store bought barbecue sauce with some tasty additions, brush on the chicken legs and bake them.
Possibly the easiest recipe on my blog and that is saying something for someone who’s mantra is “easy simple recipes.”
Orange Marmalade – brings a sweet tartness to the sauce.
Garlic – because I add garlic to everything.
Spicy Brown Mustard – could also use Dijon mustard or plain yellow mustard. It adds a little kick and a little heat.
Barbecue Sauce – use your favorite store bought or homemade.
Chicken Legs – don’t you just love how inexpensive chicken legs are? You could use thighs for this, but they tend to release a little too much fat.
Also Check: Sweet Potato In The Oven Recipe
Do You Cover Drumsticks When Baking
Do you cover drumsticks in the oven? No, you should not cover them. You want the skin to brown, and you want the chicken roasted. The drumsticks should be left on the bottom rack of the oven. I like to roast them for about 45 minutes, but you can do it longer or shorter depending on how you like your chicken.
If youre like me and want to get the most out of the roast, I recommend roasting it for at least an hour and a half. The longer it roasts, the more tender it will be and the better itll taste. Ive also found that its best to let it rest for a few minutes after you take it off the heat, so that the juices dont run down the sides and get all over the place.
Baked Chicken Drumsticksbbq Style
Just a few ingredients are needed for easy BBQ chicken drumsticks baked in the oven:
- Chicken drumsticks: With the skin on
- BBQ sauce: Adds loads of flavor and a thick, saucy coating. Choose a good quality one with lots of flavor.
- Honey: Adds a delicious sweetness to the sauce.
- Salt and pepper: Enhances the flavor of meats.
Recommended Reading: Sweet Potato Recipes In Oven
How Long Do You Cook Drumsticks In The Oven At 375
The oven should be ready to bake at 375 degrees F. 2. The drumsticks should be frozen for 80 to 85 minutes. Once the drumsticks have cooled, bake them for 60 to 65 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, cumin, coriander, and salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, then add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or so.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, pepper, ginger, turmeric, paprika, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, fennel seeds, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley, lemon zest and juice and 1/2 cup water. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish and spread it out evenly.
Crunchy Baked Bbq Chicken Drumsticks
Easy and delicious Crunchy baked bbq chicken drumsticks the best recipe for crispy baked BBQ chicken legs right from your oven, without added breading or extra steps!
Here at Sweet Cs, we have lots of types of readers those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
You May Like: Hamilton Beach Digital Sure-crisp Air Fry Toaster Oven
Bake Covered And Uncovered
The Baked BBQ Chicken Legs and Thighs will first bake covered at 350° for 3o minutes. Once the time is up, you’ll pull the aluminum foil, increase the oven temperature to 375° and allow the chicken to bake for an additional 15 minutes.
This additional 15 minutes at a higher temperature, uncovered, will allow the BBQ sauce to thicken, bubble and better adhere to the chicken.
How To Make The Best Easy Homemade Bbq Sauce
To make this quick and easy homemade barbecue sauce, simply follow these 3 simple steps:
For this recipe, I honestly skip the bowl and simply measure all of the ingredients directly onto the parchment-lined baking sheet well be baking the chicken on.
Itll look like a hot mess. Thats A-ok. This is what totally winning at weeknight dinner looks like.
Also Check: Best Microwave Convection Oven Combo
How Do You Bbq Chicken Legs Without Burning Them
Place your chicken legs or thighs directly over the heat for a few minutes on each side. After that, cook them in the indirect heat, close the lid and cook them low and slow until the meat is falling off the bone, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
You May Also Like
How To Cook Bbq Chicken Legs In The Oven Complete Explanation
Prepare your grill for medium-high heat . The grill should be closed and the heat lowered to about 300F. Cook for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and cumin. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl as needed. Pour the batter into the prepared grill pan and spread evenly. Grill until golden brown and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes on each side.
Recommended Reading: My Oven Won’t Turn On
Watch The Step By Step Video For This Barbecue Baked Chicken Drumsticks Recipe Below:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time I post a new video!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!! ?Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!