Why We Love These Baked Ribs
- So flavorful: The flavor is pretty unbelievable because there is a tasty dry rub AND homemade BBQ sauce.
- Amazing texture: These ribs in the oven leave you with tender ribs that are juicy, but not quite fall all the bone. And the skin on the outside is so crispy and delicious.
- Versatile: You can serve these ribs for a weeknight dinner or at a dinner party!
How To Make Bbq Ribs In The Oven
If you want to learn how to make BBQ ribs in the oven, you will love my simpletwo-step process: First bake the ribs in the oven till tender, then broil the sauce till it caramelizes. These are the best oven baked ribs you will ever have.
Tis the season. Grilling tools are being replaced with snow shovels and the hammock is being traded in for the overstuffed chair in front of the fireplace. However, that does not mean you still can’t enjoy the spoils of the grilling season, indoors. During the cold winter months you can still savor finger-licking BBQ pork ribs without dashing through the snow to your favorite smoker. You can make great BBQ ribs in the oven.
Essentials For Slow Baked Pork Ribs
The flavor in our baked pork ribs recipe begins even before the homemade barbecue sauce comes into play . We like to think of the barbecue sauce as the crowning glory, and it’s the dry rub that lays the ground work. A dry rub does the same thing as a pork ribs marinade. And its just what it sounds like, a mixture of dry spices thats rubbed into a cut of raw meat. This is going to amplify the flavor that the meat already has, and bring out new ones as well. This method is so effective that it can turn even an inexpensive cut of meat into one of the best things youve ever tasted! Heres what youll need to make your new favorite baked pork ribs:
Recommended Reading: How To Make Macaroni And Cheese In The Oven
What Is The Best Way To Cook Beef Rib
Many people think that barbecuing beef ribs is the best way to cook them. While this may be true in some cases, it is not the best way to do it. Here are five reasons why:
1) The first reason is that barbecuing beef ribs can ruin them. Barbecue sauce and other flavors can overpower the meat and make them taste terrible. This also includes any other spices or ingredients used in the recipe.2) The second reason is that cooking them over a hot fire instead of on an oven or stove will cause them to dry out and break down. This will make them tough and not as tender as they would be if they were cooked over a medium-high heat on a grill or stovetop.3) Finally, cooking them over an open flame can cause them to flare up and start smoking prematurely.
Why Youll Love This Recipe
Perfectly glazed sauce with no burning We will cook the spareribs partially covered and then partially uncovered so that the meat is perfectly cooked and the sauce firms up just enough without burning.
Truly tender meat The meat will be the perfect amount of tender. Juicy and properly cooked, but not falling apart and disintegrated.
3 Ingredients All you need here is spare ribs, salt, and barbecue sauce. Use your favorite storebought sauce or make your own BBQ Sauce from scratch. As long as youre using a delicious barbecue sauce, these will have great flavor, and be nicely tender.
Simply baked in one pan in the oven These pork ribs are very straightforward to pull off. We will cook them the entire time in a tray in the oven.
No fancy equipment needed I originally published this method in 2011, back when I didnt have a grill or any fancy meat-cooking equipment. Nothing special is needed to make them. Theyre very easy.
Don’t Miss: Cook Chicken Drumsticks In Oven
The Best Potatoes To Use
Small, waxy, and thin-skinned potatoes are best for potato salad. Small yellow, white or red potatoes are perfect . They are quick-cooking, and since they are already small, theres no need to chop them before cooking them.
Leave the potatoes whole. Whole cooked potatoes maintain more of their flavor and natural sweetness. Were also partial to the texture of potatoes when they are cooked whole compared to chopped.
If you dont have small, waxy potatoes available, other potatoes will work in their place the texture will be slightly different. We try not to use russet potatoes since they tend to fall apart. If thats all you have, dont worry. Chop them before cooking they are much larger and take a long time when cooked whole.
Learn How To Make Fall
Before you cry blasphemy at thought of cooking in an oven rather than ribs on a grill as nature intended, hear us out. Your oven-cooked ribs can be tender, juicy and flavorful! Not to mention, if you live in a place where grilling simply isnt an option in the middle of January, making ribs in the oven means rib dinners are possible any time of the year.
Don’t Miss: Barbeque Chicken Thighs In The Oven
Oven Bbq Pork Spare Ribs
No grill or smoker? No problem! These BBQ Pork Spare Ribs are baked in the oven, until tender and falling off the bone. This is the easiest way to make spare ribs, and theyre shockingly delicious given how simple they are to prepare! Pair with a side of Homemade Cornbread and Coleslaw and youve got an incredible meal.
These oven ribs give grilled ribs and smoked ribs a serious run for their money. And I say that as someone who LOVES grilling and using the smoker.
I grill meat every day, and have made my share of outdoor recipes like Grilled Ribeye, Smoked Pork Butt, and Grilled Chicken Breast, but sometimes its more convenient to make something in the oven because it doesnt matter what time of year it is or what the weather is like outside.
How To Make Baby Back Ribs In The Oven
- Preheat oven to 275°F with rack in middle position and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and onion powder. Whisk together until well combine and set aside.
- Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs and discard. Rinse the ribs under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle about half of the spice mixture over the meatier side of the ribs. Massage the rub into the ribs until evenly coated. Then turn the ribs over and repeat.
- Place the ribs with the dry rub on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Make sure that the meatier side is facing up. Evenly cover the top of the ribs with sliced onions. Wrap the ribs with aluminum foil and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours. Check the ribs to make sure they are tender. If they are not tender cook for an additional 20 minutes and check again. Repeat until ribs are fall of the bone tender.
- Remove from oven, and unwrap ribs discard aluminum foil and drippings. Then place back on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Brush ribs generously with barbecue sauce. Broil or grill for 5-10 minutes until the sauce begins to bubble and caramelize.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Recommended Reading: Bake Boneless Chicken Thighs In Oven
How Long And What Temperature Do You Cook Ribs On The Grill
Cooking ribs on the grill can be a fun and easy way to enjoy your favorite BBQ dish. However, its important to keep in mind that cooking ribs at a high temperature could lead to them becoming overcooked or dry.
In order to ensure that your ribs are cooked to perfection, follow these tips: 1) start cook by prepping the ribs by heating them up in the oven or on the stovetop before you place them on the grill.
This will help prevent them from getting soft and rubbery. 2) cook at a low temperature until they reach an idealcooked internal temperature of 145 degrees F (63 degrees
C). 3) continue cooking until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F . 4) once theyve reached their desired temperatures, remove them from the grill and allow them to rest for 30 minutes before serving.
Easy Oven Baked Baby Back Ribs
When it comes to Baby Back Ribs, the secret is baking low and slow, This will make the best fall-off-the-bone oven-baked ribs youve ever had!
If you thought that the only people that can make delicious, tender, mouth-watering ribs were serious barbecue aficionados, youre wrong. And its time to check out my easy baby back ribs recipe to see that cooking ribs in your oven is easier than you think.
Baking ribs in the oven couldnt be easier and all you need is the time to let them slow roast in your oven and youll have amazing barbecued baby backs for your friends and family to enjoy!
For the best bbq ribs, give them a few minutes under the broiler to caramelize the sugars in the bbq sauce. It adds some char to the exterior of the ribs enhancing the flavor.
Recommended Reading: Cuisinart Toaster Oven Broilers Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven
How To Cook Bbq Pork Ribs In The Oven
Cooking prime rib of beef can be a task, but it is worth it. Prime rib is a delicate and expensive meat, so make sure to prep it properly in order to get the most out of its flavor. Here are some tips for cooking prime rib:
Cooking times vary depending on the type of ribs, but generally it takes around 3-4 hours to cook them through. However, please keep in mind that there is no one perfect way to cook ribs!
Baste With More Sauce
Take half the remaining barbecue sauce and baste the ribs:
Continue baking them uncovered for 30 minutes, and they will look like this:
Theyre starting to get some caramelization on the edges, but they need another basting.
So baste the spare ribs with the remaining barbecue sauce, about 1/3 cup:
Another 20-30 minutes in the oven, and finally, they should have a wonderful glaze to them:
I really like when theyre not wet or too saucy, but more like sticky and glazed.
The spare ribs are now ready to be plated, and served with your favorite sides.
Don’t Miss: 30 Inch Wall Oven Microwave Combo
Gather The Ingredients And Supplies
The Spruce / Leah Maroney
To oven-roast ribs, you will need:
The rack of ribs can be baby back or spareribs. Baby back ribs are smaller, have less meat, and will require a shorter cooking time. Two racks of ribs can be cooked simultaneously without altering the cooking time as long as there is at least an inch between them.
Can You Cook Ribs Too Long
Cooking ribs too long can create a tough and rubbery texture, as well as a slightly burnt flavor. If youre looking to make these meaty creatures even more enjoyable, here are three tips on how to do it right.
Cooking ribs can become difficult if done too long. The meat will start to dry out and be tough. This can make it difficult to cut through the meat, which can ruin the cooking process.
You May Like: 6 In 1 Air Fryer Oven
Serving Oven Baked Bbq Ribs
Serve oven baked ribs at your next BBQ or get-together alongside some comfort food classics. Creamy mashed potatoes, bacon macaroni and cheese or quick mac and cheese, and caesar salad make for a great spread. You can also make them the center of a fabulous low-carb meal and pair them with garden cucumber tomato salad or a beet arugula salad.
What Is The Difference Between Ribs And Riblets
For those who still don’t know the differences between ribs and pork riblets, pork ribs are, of course, meat separated by several bones, more precisely, the rib cage. Riblets, meanwhile, are smaller cuts of the ribs.
Riblets are cut through the rib but half lengthwise through the bone. Like full ribs, riblets have bones, but they are taken from the ends of the ribs where the bones are curved.
Also Check: How To Cook Beyond Burger In Oven
Whats The Best Temperature To Cook Ribs At
The best temperature to cook ribs at is around 140 degrees Fahrenheit. This is because it produces the most constitutionally tough and flavorful meat.
The best temperature to cook ribs at is around 140 degrees Fahrenheit. This is because it produces the most constitutionally tough and flavorful meat.
The Rest Of The Ingredients
Now we have perfectly cooked and seasoned potatoes and a creamy dressing, its time to add some extra ingredients.
Potato salad is a personal process, and there are lots of opinions out there as to what makes it perfect or the best. The recipe below is our version it includes everything we love, but remember that its your potato salad, so add what you like!
- Celery and Pickles The celery adds a lovely crunch and our house isnt stable without dill pickles in the refrigerator so adding them is a no-brainer for us. If you dont like pickles in potato salad leave them out .
- Red Onion I love the sweetness and crunch of red onion in this. To make sure that the onion doesnt overpower the salad with raw onion flavor, I deflame the onions. Its a simple process, simply add cool water to chopped onion and set aside for 10 minutes. The time in the water takes the raw edge off the onion.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs Maybe its how we were brought up or what were used to but, potato salad without eggs is missing something. Hard-boiled eggs add texture and extra creaminess.
- Fresh Herbs The most common herbs are parsley and chives, but dill, cilantro, and tarragon all work well. In our recipe below, we use both dill and parsley. Experiment for yourself to see what you love. Add a tablespoon at a time then taste. Also, remember dill and tarragon are a little stronger than other herbs so add accordingly.
Also Check: What Temp To Cook Asparagus In Oven
What Are Baby Back Ribs
Baby back ribs, or back ribs, or loin ribs, are pork ribs that are typically shorter than other cuts, thus the diminutive name. No baby pig is required.
The ribs are cut from the backbone under the loin muscle. One rack has 10 to 13 ribs and weighs about two pounds, feeding one to two adults per rack . Tender and lean, baby back ribs tend to cost more than other cuts.
Do You Put Water In The Pan When Cooking Prime Rib
If you are cooking your own prime rib, it is important to know that you should use enough water to cover the meat but not so much that it begins to boil. Otherwise, the meat will become tough and dry. If not, you may be doing it wrong. Prime rib needs to be cooked very dry so adding water helps protect it from becoming wet.
Don’t Miss: Oster French Door Convection Toaster Oven
How To Store & Reheat Leftover Ribs
Cooked baby back ribs will keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days, or they can be frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw the ribs overnight in refrigerator if necessary, then place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush the ribs with another layer of BBQ sauce and cover tightly with foil. Warm in a 250°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until warmed through. Remove the foil and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the sauce to set and the bark to crisp up.
Can I Leave A Prime Rib Out Overnight Before Cooking
Many people think that leaving a prime rib out overnight before cooking is a good idea. The reason being is that the prime rib will have a better flavor and texture. Some people also think that the meat will be less likely to get dry.
Prime rib is a popular dish that many people enjoy. However, some people may find that it can be difficult to cook it correctly. If you overcook prime rib, it will be tough and not as flavorful as it should be. It is important to keep an eye on your oven temperature and make sure that the meat is cooked evenly so that it will be tender and juicy.
Recommended Reading: Stainless Steel Pan In Oven
Baked Bbq Ribscommonly Asked Questions
How long do you bake ribs for?
Ribs are best done low and slow in the oven. Bake at 325F for 2.5 hours for juicy, tender, fall-off-the-bone ribs.
How do you get baked ribs to look browned and a bit charred on top?
After baking ribs to a tender finish, place on a heated grill for 5-10 minutes just long enough for ribs to gain a nice light char on top.
What if I cant access a grill?
You can still achieve a nice charring on top by broiling finished ribs on high in the oven for a few minutes. Watch closely so it doesnt burn.