Wagyu : How To Cook Wagyu Beef Short Ribs
Our Wagyu short ribs have some of the best flavor in the Wagyu world. Since short ribs have a lot of connective tissue, they require longer cook times or very specific preparation. However, lengthy cook times present an opportunity for more flavor. With so many options for marinades, stews, and grilling masterpieces, there is no shortage of short rib experiences to be had.
The Method: Oven Braising
This method is very straightforward its the way that I nearly always cook short ribs. Season and brown the ribs, then add some onion and aromatics plus liquid to the pot, and cook low and slow. Its Braising 101.
For the low and slow step, I prefer the oven as it is more forgiving and I think it cooks more evenly.
However, you can also do these in the slow cooker or on the stovetop just refer to the instructions at the end of the recipe below.
How Long To Bake Korean Short Ribs In Oven
Korean Short Ribs are a family holiday tradition,slow-cooking them in the oven by just popping the ribs in a baking dish, filling it with water, covering it with aluminum foil, and baking for 3 hours at 300° F . They turn out tender, juicy, and deliciously flavorful.
Cooking time depends on how much beef you want to serve and what dish youre making. If you want to make short ribs, bake them for 20 minutes per pound at 350 degrees Fahrenheit on a baking sheet.
Don’t Miss: Best Small Air Fryer Toaster Oven
How To Cook Flanken Ribs In Oven
Flanken Ribs are thin cuts of ribs, typically with the bones still attached. The ribs are usually about 1/4 inch thick and cut across three or four ribs at a time. There is less meat on these sections of ribs, and they can easily be prepared and cooked in the oven.
Cooking flanken ribs in the oven is a simple process, even if you dont have any experience cooking ribs at all. The process is basically to cook them slowly and gently, with moderate heat. Overcooking flanken ribs can ruin them, sometimes by making the meat too tough. Different temperature and time combinations will give you different results.
To cook flanken ribs in the oven, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then, take the ribs out of their packaging and blot them dry with paper towels.
Season the ribs liberally with salt and pepper and place them in a glass baking dish along with one-half cup each of soy sauce and water.
Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil, place it on a rack in the lower third of your oven and bake for two hours.
After two hours, turn the oven off and let the ribs sit inside for 30 minutes before taking them out.
What Temperature Should Short Ribs Be Cooked At
If youre looking to cook short ribs at a specific temperature, there are some things that you can do to make sure that the meat is cooked to perfection. Here are three tips:
Also Check: Cook Chicken Drumsticks In Oven
What To Serve With Beer Braised Short Ribs
Most people will whip up some mashed potatoes or some other mashed vegetable with beer braised short ribs. Definitely a good option.
A nice loaf of bread is another easy option.
I also love to slow roast root vegetables alongside the Dutch oven, essentially taking care of the main course and the side dish at the same time.
Whatever you do, youll want something to enjoy that sauce with.
How Long Do Boneless Ribs Take To Cook
Boneless ribs can take anywhere from 1-3 hours to cook through, so its important to make sure theyre cooked properly. Here are some tips to help ensure your ribs are cooked through:
Also Check: Pork Loin Roast Oven Recipe
Cover Baking Dish With Aluminum Foil Or A Lid
Cover your short ribs while they are baking so the steam stays in and keeps them moist. If you make these uncovered they will dry out and will not be tender.
You can bake them in a large dutch oven, a glass baking dish with a lid, or just a casserole dish covered with aluminum foil.
Short Ribs are done when the internal temperature in the thickest part reaches 200 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. The meat will be pulled away from the bone, and fork-tender!
Beef Short Ribs Recipes Faqs
What’s the difference between short ribs and regular ribs?
Short ribs are made up of a short portion of the rib bone, rather than the entire length of the rib.They come in two different cuts: Flanken cut and English cut. Flanken cut refers to ribs cut across the bone to create strips of meat with multiple bones, while English cut are cut into individual ribs.You can use either cut you like.
What are Korean short ribs?
Also known as Kalbi or Galbi Jjim, this dish is made in the Korean BBQ style using beef short ribs. Typically, they’re grilled, broiled, or braised. I love this short rib recipe. The flavor profile is out of this world!
Absolutely delicious, not too hot – just right. Tender tender and so tasty!! Thanks for the recipe which was so easy to follow.
Cindy on Pinterest
Also Check: Boil Eggs In The Oven
How To Cook Bbq Short Ribs On The Grill:
Follow the instructions above through the marinating process. To grill the ribs make completely sealed foil packets instead of using the covered tray using double layers of foil.
- Preheat your grill to high heat. Once the grill has been heated, turn off the burners in the center of the grill. You will be cooking the short ribs over indirect heat.
- Divide the ribs into two and make two double-layered foil packets. Fold the top and ends to seal the packets, leaving room for heat circulation inside.
- Place the packets over indirect heat and lower the cover on the grill. Cook the short ribs for 2½ 3 hours. Cooking time can vary so be sure to use a meat thermometer to check on the temperature of the beef short ribs. Internal temperature should be 200-205° F.
- When the ribs are fully cooked, carefully open the packets by cutting along the top folds of the packets with a sharp knife, allowing steam to escape.
- Then open the top of the foil packet.
- Brush the ribs with barbecue sauce and continue grilling over direct heat with the grill covered for 5 10 minutes, until browned and crisp.
Brush the bbq beef ribs generously with your favorite barbecue sauce.
*You can also finish the ribs without barbecue sauce.
Broil the BBQ short ribs on low for 3-4 minutes until the sauce gets bubbly and begins to caramelize.
*Make sure to keep an eye on the ribs. The barbecue sauce will burn quicker than you think.
Cook The Onions Carrots And Garlic
If theres a lot of excess fat/juices in the pot, drain the fat, leaving behind just about a tablespoon of fat. Over medium-high heat, add yellow onion slices, about 7 halved carrots, and 6 cloves of garlic to the hot pot. Sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt and saute for about 5 minutes. Then sprinkle the veggies with 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, stirring to coat the veggies.
Read Also: French Fries Recipe In Oven
Don’t Miss: Freestanding Double Oven Electric Range
How To Bake Beef Short Ribs In The Oven
First Preheat Your Oven to 274 , 250 , or 225 .
Season & sear bone-in beef short ribs. You can just use salt and pepper, but I like Montreal Steak Seasoning. Use your favorite!
Next, quickly sear your short ribs in a hot skillet on all sides. You do not want to cook your ribs during searing Just brown the outsides.
Then, lay them in your baking dish and pour the pan dropping at the bottom of the pan in.
Next, smother seared short ribs in BBQ sauce .
Cover them tightly with a snug-fitting lid or aluminum foil, and bake!
Youll bake short ribs at 275 degrees F for 4 hours till meat is pulled away from the bones and is fork tender!
Tips For The Best Oven Baked Beef Short Ribs
- As always the quality of your ingredients matter. Use a good chicken stock if you dont make your own. I recommend chicken stock instead of the more obvious beef broth because canned or store bought beef broth is just awful. Chicken stocks are a bit better in quality and theyll work fine.
- Make sure you dont use bouillon powders with their sky high amounts of salt. Youll ruin the recipe for sure.
- Fresh herbs are used here but they will lose a lot of their flavoring power during the cooking time. Save some to sprinkle over the top of your dish when serving.
- The apple cider and diced apples in the sauce dont make the dish truly sweet. They just add a nice depth.
- I did use red wine in this version. I was pretty excited to find it in a 2-cup box at the store since I dont drink or use wine often. You can just use an extra cup of chicken broth if youd like to leave it out.
- Depending on the fat and marbling in your ribs, you could be left with a significant amount of fat on your sauce when your ribs are done. I used a ladle and dipped that outI had nearly 2 cups of fat to remove!
Don’t Miss: Gas Double Oven Slide In
Can I Cook Ribs Without Foil
Removal of membrane is a little bit difficult, especially when you are dealing with ribs, which are tough to remove. However, removing the membranes will improve the taste of meat. To remove the bark, you need to cut the rib away from the meat, exposing the muscle fibers. Then, using a knife, carefully cut down the side of every rib, cutting through both the skin and fat. After this, take a sharp knife and carefully slice through all the layers of fat and skin. This will allow you to easily remove any remaining bark. Once youve removed the outer layer of bark and exposed the inner layer, place the entire rib back into the smoker. You can now enjoy your delicious barbecue ribs! Removing membrane from meat is easy and simple.
Were All So Busy These Days
Ever since I made a life choice years ago to live a healthier lifestyle that incorporated a better eating plan, exercise and a more positive outlook that seemed to kick things off. Now Ive always worked insane hours.
Again this stems from growing up as poor as we did. Truth be told, is that poor sucks, no one should go without even the little things in life but Im not one to depend on others to help make my life better.
If I want my life better then *I* have to make the change and *I* have to make it happen. My parents always told me Anything worth doing is worth doing the very best you can and I have made that my mantra in life.
Dont Miss: Oven Air Fry Chicken Wings
Read Also: Are Calphalon Pans Oven Safe
Whats The Difference Between Beef Back Ribs And Beef Short Ribs
Beef back ribs are the back ribs nearest to the shoulder of the cow, closest to the spine and tend to be elongated. They are larger than short ribs .
The back ribs extend downward towards the much smaller beef short ribs. They are also meatier in between the bones with not a lot going on meat-wise on top or below the visible bones. Beef short ribs are meaty on top of the bone.
Cooking the ribs bone side up allows the meatier side to cook or braise in its own fat leaving it more tender and moist.
Back ribs are what is left over when you cut the bones off a prime rib roast or ribeye steak. Therefore, they are much more affordable .
Ribs need to be cooked a long time to coax out that delicious flavor but they are a very easy and crowd pleasing dinner.
Ribs release fat / grease when cooked. Before basting and broiling, flip ribs over to meat side up and remove from grease so as to avoid a grease fire when broiling .
The entire rack of beef back ribs is generally ribs 6-12 but they dont always come in one big rack.
In this beef back ribs recipe and video there are two separate half racks and they are smallish and from nearer to the hind end of the cow. Larger back ribs will come more from the shoulder end of the cow.
After cooking for 3 ½ hours, baste with barbecue sauce and toss back in the oven to broil a couple minutes or until caramelized.
Best Short Rib Recipe
In my opinion this is the best short rib recipe. Its quick, and the meat is super tender. It also tastes much better than slow-cooked keto short ribs. Add smoked paprika to it and it becomes an absolutely delicious dish! I personally like it as much as expensive steaks and cuts like ribeye and sirloin. Beef ribs have a much deeper and more complex meaty taste, compared to other more tender cuts.
Make sure to try it, and dont forget to comment below and tell us how it came out! On our website KetoAndEat, you can find many other great keto recipes check them out.
Braised Short Ribs For A Crowd
Red wine braised short ribs are an ideal dish for a dinner party:
- You can cook them entirely the day before, then rewarm with good results. In fact they taste even better the next day.
- Short ribs are also a less expensive cut of beef compared to other cuts, so they are a budget-friendly way to feed a crowd.
- Because short ribs are high in fat content, they are very forgiving. The longer you cook them, the more tender they become, which is a great stress reliever when youre serving guests.
How To Prepare Your Beef Short Ribs For The Oven
Start by coating your beef in salt and pepper. Dont by shy. They can handle it. Then lightly coat in flour and sear in hot oil. Make sure to brown all sides. This builds flavor for the final dish.
Then take out the ribs, sautee the onions, pack the ribs back in and put everything else in the pot. Put the lid on and bake it low and slow until the meat is sinfully tender. About 3 hours depending on the size of your short ribs.
You May Like: Bake Boneless Chicken Thighs In Oven
Heres What You Will Need:
- Beef short ribs the star of this show, are full of big beefy flavor and after cooking low and slow, they are fall off the bone tender. Bone-in short ribs have more taste than boneless. They are also ideal for smoking and usually cooked as a plate or rack as in my recipe for Smoked Beef Short Ribs.
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper are used as seasonings and enhance all flavors and bring them together in one cohesive dish.
- Butter is that magic ingredient that both adds rich buttery flavor and browns the ribs.
- Onion and garlic these aromatic alliums add their distinctive flavor profile to the rich wine sauce.
- Carrots besides being full of beta carotene, add a sweet, woodsy flavor to the red wine sauce.
- Tomato paste is used to enrich the flavor of the wine sauce. Since you only need a small amount, consider purchasing it in a tube, where you can squeeze out what you need.
- Thyme adds a lovely lemony, earthy component to this dish. When used as a garnish, the leaves add a beautiful green pop of color.
- Red wine the big flavors, sweetness, and acidity in red wine complement all of the other flavors in this dish and makes a richly flavored, and delicious red wine sauce.
- Beef stock adds a rich beefy deliciousness to the braising liquid and keeps the ribs moist and succulent while cooking.
Tips For Making Braised Beef Short Ribs
- Dont skip searing the meat! This is an absolutely crucial step to getting the most flavor out of your short ribs and into your sauce.
- This is one of those rare recipes when I dont worry too much if my carrots, onions, and celery are all cut to the same size. Normally this is crucial for even cooking, and while I dont recommend major size differences between them, its not a big deal if you chop it all quickly and its not perfect.
- Freeze any leftover sauce and serve it over another roast or even grilled steak.
- Dont be tempted to use dried herbs. Fresh herbs make a big difference in this dish and dried can overpower the sauce.
- Make Ahead: Make this short ribs recipe the day before then reheat it just before serving. You can reheat them on the stove over medium-low heat or in the oven, covered, until theyre hot and the sauce is just bubbling, about 20-30 minutes.
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in an oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through.
- Reheating: Reheat in an oven at 350°F until warmed through.
Don’t Miss: 24 Inch In Wall Gas Oven