Should Sweet Potatoes Be Soaked Before Frying
Sweet potatoes are a traditional vegetable in many cultures and are often cooked in various ways, including fried. Some people believe that sweet potatoes should be soaked before frying, as this will help to improve their flavor and texture.
Others do not think that this is necessary and find the additionless soaking to be very easy. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide whether or not they want to soak their sweet potatoes before frying.
Roasting Cubed Sweet Potatoes
Its incredible how a simple process, like roasting, can elevate everyday sweet potatoes into a top-notch in flavor and texture side dish. Before I share the recipe, here are helpful tips so they cook into orange gems that everyone will be grabbing:
Use parchment paperNot only does this prevent the potatoes from sticking to the baking sheet, but it makes less clean up for you.
Layer evenlyWe want the potatoes to caramelize and get a little browned. Crowding the pieces too close together will cause them to steam and become soggy.
Give it a toss
- garlic powder + salt + black pepper
How To Cut A Sweet Potato For Roasting
Now that weve got the perfect cubes for roasting, lets talk about the rest of the process.
Don’t Miss: Built In Oven Under Cooktop
What Is The Healthiest Way To Cook Sweet Potatoes
Cooking sweet potatoes in a healthy way means ensuring they are cooked all the way through. One way to do this is to cook them over medium heat until they are tender and then finish cooking them in the oven. Another way to cook sweet potatoes is in the microwave, but be careful not to overcook them or they will become dry and bland.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
These oven roasted sweet potatoes are so easy to make, and so versatile, they need to be a staple in your recipe book!
Since they are naturally vegan and gluten-free, anyone at your table can enjoy them.
Though this is a go-to for holiday or Thanksgiving tables, they also make a perfect picnic or BBQ side dish.
You May Like: 24 Inch In Wall Gas Oven
Buying & Storing Sweet Potatoes
When shopping for sweet potatoes, look for firm, unwrinkled skins. Sweet potatoes come in all different colors creamy white, deep orange and purple. I usually buy Beauregard, Jewel or Garnet sweet potatoes just because those varieties are typically available at my local grocery stores. That said, Beauregard sweet potatoes tend to be stringier so when given the option I go for Jewel or Garnet.
Store your sweet potatoes in your pantry or on the countertop at room temperature. Theyll last about a week before they start to go bad .
Is Sweet Potato Healthy
Sweet potato is a popular vegetable in many countries and some people believe that it is healthy to eat. There are many reasons why sweet potato may be unhealthy, but we will talk about one reason later.
First, lets take a look at some pros and cons of eating sweet potato.
Some people believe that sweet potatoes are healthy because they are low in calories and have a high-quality protein content. They also say that they are filling and can help you lose weight.
There are some studies that support these claims, but it is still up for debate whether or not sweet potatoes are really healthy.
Another benefit of eating sweet potatoes is that they contain antioxidants. These nutrients scavenge harmful toxins from your body and may help protect you from diseases such as cancer.
You May Like: Wall Ovens Electric 30 Inch
How To Season Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Over the years Ive narrowed down my 2 favorite ways to make sweet potatoes Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Sweet Potatoes and Chili-Cumin Sweet Potatoes.
You can use any oil you like to roast these. My personal preference is coconut oil for the cinnamon sweet potatoes and olive oil or avocado oil for a savory side.
Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Sweet Potatoes Roasted sweet potatoes always taste delicious with just a touch of sweetness and cinnamon. I love cutting sweet potatoes into medallion shapes when Im this sweet version. Something about the medallion shape makes them magically extra delicious. You can use coconut sugar or brown sugar!
These sweet potatoes are delicious alongside turkey, roast chicken or even Thanksgiving dinner.
Chili Cumin Sweet Potatoes Sweet potatoes taste amazing with savory spices. I like adding chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and kosher salt for a delicious smoky, garlicky flavor. You can also cut them into longer pieces for sweet potato fries.
These savory sweet potatoes are delicious with bacon and a fried egg for breakfast, alongside salmon, black beans or in meal-prep lunch bowls.
Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Crispy Garlic Thyme Roasted Sweet Potatoes are an easy, yummy side dish! Perfectly roasted potatoes that are paleo, Whole30 friendly & go with everything! Made with only six ingredients, and so delicious! Perfect alongside any protein or for meal prepping!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
A few months ago I shared this Crispy Sheet Pan Roasted Potatoes recipe and you all went CRAZY for it. So many people messaged me raving about them and even posted pictures of the potatoes with their dinners which totally makes my day.
Since they were so popular, I figured Id share something equally delicious and somewhat similar these Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes!
Recommended Reading: Sweet Potato Recipes In Oven
Is Sweet Potato Good For Hair
Sweet potatoes are a popular fruit in the United States and many people believe that they are good for hair. There is some evidence to support this claim, but further research is needed to make a full statement about the benefits of sweet potatoes for hair.
Sweet potatoes are thought to have nutritive value and may help improve hair health.
How To Prep Roasted Cubed Sweet Potatoes Ahead
You can prep sweet potatoes before roasting on meal-prep day and after being roasted for a heat-and-serve option.
Without roasting:To prep sweet potatoes ahead of time without roasting after dicing, refrigerate the sweet potato cubes in an airtight container filled with water for up to 2 days. The water prevents them from drying out and turning brown.
Before cooking, drain the water and pat the potatoes thoroughly dry with a clean kitchen towel to prevent them from steaming.
After roasting:I like having roasted sweet potato cubes around as an easy starch to top over salads or to serve alongside dinner. They can be cooked entirely ahead of time and refrigerated for up to 4 days. Just give them a quick reheat in the microwave or in the oven at 400F for 10 minutes or until crisp and heated through.
Recommended Reading: Oster Air Fryer Toaster Oven
Ways To Use Leftover Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes
Ive already said how much we love this simple side dish, but these roasted sweet potato cubes make a great addition to other main dishes! Here are some of our favorite ways to use leftovers of this sweet potatoes recipe:
- This recipe for Vegetarian Tacos uses black beans and roasted sweet potatoes as the taco filling.
- Make a delicious breakfast hash using roasted sweet potatoes with scrambled eggs, bacon crumbles, and sautéed bell peppers and onion.
- Try one of these grain bowl recipes and add some roasted sweet potato cubes to it: Chicken Quinoa Bowl, Fall Mexican Rice Bowls, Rainbow Winter Quinoa Bowls, or Winter Chicken Spinach Salad Quinoa Bowl, or Mexican Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad.
- I love leftovers on a salad the next day for lunch. Substitute the sweet potatoes for the squash in this Butternut Squash, Pomegranate + Roquefort Salad and add some leftover roasted chicken. So good!
The Best Sweet Potato Recipe
What started as a time saver turned out to be the best-kept secret to roasted sweet potatoes.
- Cut the Sweet Potatoes into Large Chunks. I found 1-inch cubes to be ideal.
- Larger sweet potato pieces meant a longer baking time in the oven.
- The insides had time to become unbelievably velvety while the outsides fully crisped, all without drying the sweet potatoes out.
- Roast at a High Temperature. 425 degrees F is spot-on. Its hot enough to crisp the outsides and allows the flavors of the sweet potatoes to caramelize and concentrate .
- Dont Crowd the Pan. You need plenty of room around the pieces for air to circulate, otherwise they will steam and you lose the crispy outsides.
- Seasoning. Even simple kosher salt will give you great results, though you can amp them up in assorted ways. See below for suggestions.
- Add a Touch of Honey. Need to lure picky eaters into eating veggies? Try making honey roasted sweet potatoes. It increases the caramelization of the sweet potatoes further too. If you do add honey, be sure to line your sheet pan to prevent sticking.
Don’t Miss: Oval Vs Round Dutch Oven
How To Slice Sweet Potatoes Into Cubes
Sweet potatoes are oblong-shaped with pointy ends, which means making cubes out of them can be an exercise in geometry. But with a little patience and a sharp chefs knife, you can cut them into neat cubes. Heres how:
- Scrub the skins to remove excess dirt.
- Peel sweet potatoes or not I like to leave random strips of skin.
- Slice off a thin piece .
- Rest the sweet potato on the cut side to keep it from rolling.
- Trim off both ends, then slice lengthwise into 1/2-inch wide slices.
- Cut each slice into 1/2-inch thick matchsticks. Note: This shape makes the best oven fries!
- Now, cut each matchstick into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Its okay if not all pieces are perfect!
Tip: Put the excess ends and pieces from the the prepped sweet potatoes in a storage container and keep or freeze for another use, such as in a hearty sweet potato chili with black beans or a smooth sweet potato soup.
Variations On A Basic Sweet Potato
This roasted sweet potato recipe seamlessly moves from sweet to savory with just a few simple swaps!
- Replace savory elements with things like cinnamon and honey to create a dessert that goes great with ice cream, peanut butter, coconut, and chocolate!
- Use extra spices like chili powder, all-spice, or poultry seasoning to give this winning side an extra pop!
- If you end up with a larger, starchier sweet potato, use it in a recipe that calls for a russet. My instant pot potato soup recipe would work well for this.
- When hunger pangs hit, you can quickly cook sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot to snack on it with little butter, salt, pepper and a dash of thyme. It tastes delicious!
Recommended Reading: 30 Inch Wall Oven Microwave Combo
Tips For The Best Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Cut the sweet potatoes into even sizes: Cut the sweet potatoes into even-sized cubes, otherwise, they wont cook evenly.
- Let Potatoes Dry for Maximum Crispiness: After you dry the sweet potatoes, let them sit for a bit before putting them in the oven to make them come out even more crispy.
- Dont overcrowd the pan: Spread the potatoes out evenly onto the baking sheet in a single layer to ensure maximum crispiness.
Can You Undercook Sweet Potato Casserole
There is no definitive answer, as it depends on the cooking times and temperatures used. However, if you undercook the sweet potatoes, they will be mushy and not very flavorful. If you overcook them, they will be dry and hard. Generally speaking, a sweet potato casserole should be cooked until it is tender but not too soft.
Recommended Reading: Ge 1.6 Cu Ft Over The Range Microwave Oven
How To Store Leftover Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes
Unfortunately in our house there are rarely leftovers because even if we dont eat them all at dinner, someone ends up finishing them off before bed because they are that good. But, heres how to store leftovers if youre lucky enough to have them:
How To Pick A Good Sweet Potato
- Red and orange sweet potatoes are often labeled as yams at the grocery store which is actually inaccurate. True yams are starchier and drier than sweet potatoes with a thick and fibrous skin.
- There are lots of different varieties of sweet potatoes: Heres an article that describes some of the different varieties and characteristics.
- I recommend skipping tan or purple skinned sweet potatoes and sticking with orange or red skinned sweet potatoes. This variety are sweeter and have a creamier texture.
- My favorite sweet potatoes for roasting? Either Red Garnet or Jewel.
- When picking a sweet potato at the grocery store look for firm potatoes without growths or discolorations on their skins. Avoid soft or wet potatoes.
- For questions on freshness/how long a sweet potato lasts, check out this article.
Now that youve got some sweet potatoes, lets talk cutting.
There are a lot of different ways that you can cut sweet potatoes for roasting you can make roasted sweet potatoes wedges or crispy roasted sweet potatoes fries. You can even roast sweet potato halves! Thicker, bigger cuts will need a longer bake time, and thinner cuts will need a shorter amount of time in the oven. For this particular recipe, were making roasted sweet potato cubes, and I recommend cutting the sweet potato into ½ inch chunks.
While there isnt one single way to cut a sweet potato into cubes, Ill share my favorite way to cut them below.
Read Also: How To Cook Drumsticks In The Oven
Do Sweet Potatoes Take Less Time To Cook
The answer to this question is, it depends. Sweet potatoes can either take a short amount of time or a long amount of time to cook. Therefore, it is important to follow the cooking instructions that are provided with the recipe
Additionally, some people prefer their sweet potatoes cooked softer whereas others like them more cooked through. So, it really all depends on what you are looking for in a potato dish.
Tahini Drizzled Sweet Potatoes
Our favorite way of serving roasted sweet potato cubes is with tahini sauce, fresh flat-leaf parsley, toasted shaved almonds, and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
Creamy and nutty tahini, fresh parsley, and toasted almonds are a perfect flavor combination with sweet potatoes for us, there’s no better way of eating them.
Also, the tahini adds healthy fats and minerals, which makes this sweet potato recipe even more nutritious and fulfilling.
Check out our air fryer sweet potatoes.
Also Check: Wall Mount Oven And Microwave
What To Serve With Potatoes
These sweet potatoes are a must for your holiday meal. They go great with turkey,ham, pork, mashed potatoes, and gravy. This dish is equally delicious at a summer cookout with grilled chicken and pork chops. Give this easy casserole recipe a try the next time you need a delicious side dish the whole family will enjoy!
Looking for more holiday side dishes? Here are a few popular recipes from the website:
Baked Sweet Potato Cubes Tips + Tricks
We love serving these cubes as is, but for even added flavor like to add:
- chopped parsley
- Shaved Parmesan
- chives/green onions
How to make crispy sweet potato cubes? These cubes end up soft and a tid crispy but to make them even more crispy, be sure to flip half way through and broil for the last minute or two.
Can you reheat sweet potato cubes? Just store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days and reheat in the microwave or back in the oven for 10 minutes to get them crispy again.
These Parmesan sweet potatoes are great for the holidays. Since the recipe only calls for 2 potatoes, take note of that when doubling, tripling or even quadrupling. Here is a guide to help with that knowing that 2 potatoes serves 2-3 people
- 2 people 2 potatoes
Read Also: How To Cook Oven Fish
How To Make Orange
This side dish is easy to make with only a few simple ingredients. Drain canned orange sweet potatoes and reserve liquid. Chop potatoes and place them in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, orange juice, reserved syrup, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Season with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and add dried cranberries. Pour glaze over the sweet potatoes. Bake in a preheated oven.