Tips For Making The Perfect Crispy Baked French Fries
- Soak your fries: In COLD water for 30 minutes before baking. I know this is an additional step but does make a huge difference. Soaking the potatoes gets rid of excess starch allowing the potatoes to get extra crispy.
- Dry your fries: Are you determined to get the most perfectly crispy homemade baked French fries possible? Take the extra step of drying the fries or potato slices really well after washing them but BEFORE seasoning them. You dont want to wipe away the flavors! This will help draw out extra moisture inside the potatoes before allowing them to bake.
- Enjoy the leftovers: If you end up with too many fries , you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. When you want to reheat them, you can heat them on the stovetop in oil or in the oven or air fryer. I would caution away from microwaving fries, just because they lose the crispiness and become mushy.
- Check the doneness: Undercooked French fries are the worst! Double check how done your fries are before serving by using a classic baking trick. Simply take a toothpick and poke a fry if it goes through easily, then your fries are ready.
- Load up the dips: One of the best parts of eating French fries is all the delicious dip possibilities! Are you a BBQ sauce fan? Do you prefer honey mustard or Ranch? How about the classic ketchup? Whatever it is, dont forget to dress up your fries with all your favorite flavors.
How To Make Your Fries Crispy Again
- In the unlikely event of leftovers, you can reheat the baked fries by preheating your oven to 400 degrees and placing an empty baking sheet in the oven while the oven preheats.
- Spread the leftover fries in a single layer on the hot pan, then pop the pan into the preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes. Watch the fries carefully the last few minutes to make sure they do not burn.
- If youve ever reheated French fries from a restaurant, you know nothing replaces the just-cooked taste , but they did at least perk up somewhat.
Crispy Oven Baked French Fries
Make perfect oven-baked fries that come out crispy and delicious! Theyre a great replacement for classic fried french fries. Not only do they taste fantastic but theyre way less messy to make than the fried version at home. All you need are potatoes and a handful of pantry staples to make the best oven fries!
NOTE: CookEatLiveLove is supported by readers and links to products I love in this post are Amazon and other affiliate links which means I do make a small amount of money when you click and make purchases. Thanks for stopping by and I hope youll come back again soon!
Ive been cooking oven-baked french fries for most of my adult life. My first experience cooking them was during my days following Weight Watchers, and this recipe is inspired by the recipe I used back then!
Over the years, Ive made some changes to the cooking method, streamlining the process to make it easier! They still take a little bit of time to prepare but in my opinion, they are well worth it each and every time.
And while I love good deep-fried french fries, these are a nice alternative especially to make at home. I love that they simply dont make as big of a mess as deep frying.
Check out my guide on how to cut potatoes for fries to discover more ways to cut french fry potatoes. Just keep in mind, that this recipe is based on using a traditional size french fry so if you use a different cut, you may need to adjust the time.
Also Check: How To Cook Tater Tots In Oven
Oven Baked French Fries
Russet potatoes are the gold standard for French fries in general. They especially suitable for baked fries, because the skins are thicker and dryer than the skins of other potatoes, so they crisp up nicely in the oven.
Have you ever tried fries in the oven, and found they lack crispiness? Here are two great tips to avoid that problem forever!
How To Make Air Fryer French Fries
Its simple to make these french fries and there are only four ingredients!
- Rinse and scrub the potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into thin strips.
- Put the strips into a large bowl, cover with ice water, and let the potatoes soak for about 30 minutes.
- After the potatoes have soaked for 30 minutes, drain the water and pat the potatoes dry.
- Add the oil, salt, and seasoned salt to the bowl of potatoes. Toss to coat.
- Place the potato strips in the basket of an air fryer. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to work in batches. Try not to overlap the potatoes.
- Air fry at 380°F for 18-20 minutes. Serve hot.
Also Check: How To Make Wings In The Oven
How To Make French Fries At Home
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place potatoes in a large bowl and cover with hot tap water. Let soak for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the oil onto a rimmed 18 by 13-inch baking sheet , tilt to evenly coat.
- Drain potatoes well then evenly spread out onto several layers of paper towels. Spread more paper towels over top and pat and press to dry thoroughly.
- Sprinkle oiled baking sheet evenly with salt and pepper .
How To Make Fries In The Oven
I highly recommend reading through the instructions first before getting started. This recipe is far from difficult but there are a few crucial steps that must be followed for the crispiest, most delicoius oven French fries youve ever had.
Don’t Miss: Cookies Baking In The Oven
Trishs Tips For Fabulous Baked French Fries
This recipe is really very simple but here are my best tips for the best results:
Cut your fries as evenly as possible. If you happen to have a French fry cutter, use it! Some mandolines even have attachments that work too. This is the mandoline I have. Some variation is fine and is what, in my opinion, gives these oven baked fries some characters and shows theyre homemade.
Soak your fries in hot water. This the same thing I do when I make hashbrowns. It releases much of the starch and allows the oven fries to get extra crispy.
Get those fries really, really dry. Like dry to the touch. This is without a doubt the most important step. I use a salad spinner not just for salads but for drying rinsed herbs as well. And guess what? It also works great for french fries.
My favorite method is to drain the water from the fries, give them a quick rinse with fresh water and then stick them in the salad spinner basket to let them drain for a minute. Then I put my salad spinner to work followed by a thorough drying with some really absorbent kitchen towels. It takes a couple minutes but guys, its worth it. Trust me.
Dont skimp on the oil. I know it seems like a hefty amount of oil but its necessary. Its what makes these fries beautifully golden and crisp.
Dont forget to check the seasoning. When the fries come out of the oven, I like to hit them with a little more salt but only after a quick taste test. You dont want to over season but under seasoning can be even worse.
How To Make Crispy Baked French Fries
- Soak potatoes: In cold water for 30 minutes. Remove from the water then pat dry thoroughly.
- Prep: First, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. It is very important that you liberally spray the foil with cooking spray otherwise the fries will stick to the foil.
- Combine ingredients: Next, in a large bowl, toss together all of the ingredients, including the sliced potatoes.
- Bake: After that, add the fries to the prepared pan, and then them bake for 25-30 minutes, or until they are crispy and golden brown. Make sure to rotate the fries at least once during cooking.
- Serve and enjoy: Finally, serve your baked French fries immediately with a side of ketchup and enjoy! These make the perfect midday snack or side to your favorite hamburger recipe.
Don’t Miss: Outdoor Fireplace Kits With Pizza Oven
Did You Make This Recipe
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on
Caitlin | The Siren’s Tale
Thursday 3rd of April 2014
Wow, these fries look delicious! Whenever I’ve tried making french fries in the past, I cut them too thin and they end up burning. Love the idea of thicker, steak fries!
Thursday 3rd of April 2014
Thanks, they were! Cutting them thick is definitely the key.
Rebecca | LettersFromSunnybrook
Tuesday 1st of April 2014
We love these too! I get to have my own sweet potato version, as I am allergic to regular potatoes. Simple to make and so much better than store bought!
Tuesday 1st of April 2014
I love sweet potato fries. My family, not so much. So, sometimes I make some just for me.
Tuesday 1st of April 2014
I know potatoes get a bad rap, but we eat a lot of them too and we are only 4! LOL! The trick to making potatoes a bit healthier is to always leave the skin on. Everything that isn’t pure starch is in the skin. We make oven baked fries all the time as well, yours look yummy! What we do sometimes is mix it up : I’ll julienne carrots, parsnips, rutabagas and make mixed root veggie fries. My daughter loves them!
Tuesday 1st of April 2014
oh, that’s fun. I’ll have to try that.
How To Make Oven
Start with 3 regular baking potatoes and slice them in half, then cut the halves into wedges. I usually get about 4 wedges out of each half.
Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil and then place the potato wedges on the foil. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over the potatoes.
Now sprinkle paprika, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and Italian herbs over all the wedges. Using your hands, toss the potatoes with the oil and seasonings, making sure each potato is well coated.
Roast for 20 minutes, then turn each potato to the other side and drizzle with just a bit more olive oil. The turning of each potato is very important, otherwise you won’t get the nice crunch on the outside. Roast for another 10 minutes or until tender and remove from oven. Serve immediately.
- ½teaspoonChipotle or regular chili powder
Read Also: Frying Pan That Can Go Into The Oven
Tips To Make These Healthier French Fries In The Oven :
There are a some things that are important when baking fries in the oven and Im more than happy to share them with you.
- Cut your potatoes into 1/4 inch matchsticks.
- Try making each matchstick the same size as the others, so they bake evenly.
- Use starchy potatoes, peel and cut them, then soak in cold water for 15-30 minutes.
- Rinse and drain.
- This step is very important : after rinsing and draining the potatoes, par dry each one of them with paper towels.
- Drying the potatoes, helps the seasoning stick to the outside of the fries and this way they bake to a perfect crunchy outside and softer inside.
The best part about this easy oven fries recipe is that these potatoes taste just as good when cold.
Also I love that they are not soaked in oil, but they are still crispy.
I only used 3 tbsp of oil in the recipe.
If your family is bigger or you are cooking for a crowd, make sure you double, triple or quadruple the recipe.
There wont be any leftovers, I can guarantee.
Expert Tips To Remember
- The best potatoes to use are russets. Peel them or leave the skins on. Either way they are perfect.
- Lay the drained fries on a towel to soak up excess water before baking. This recipe is yet another reason why I adore flour sack towels. They are absorbent, lint free, and huge .
- Spray the baking sheets first with cooking spray. This may seem redundant, but cooking spray contains lecithin, which forms a thin layer between the pan, oil, and food to help the fries release easily. Parchment paper may be used, but keep in mind this does bake in a 450 degree oven, which is its limit.
- Dont overcrowd the pan. I use 2-3 baking sheets when making Oven Baked Fries because the more space between the fries, the more heat can circulate around each frys surface. If you are short of baking pans, cut the potatoes in wedges.
- Rotate the pans between the oven racks during baking for even browning.
- If the fries do not flip easily, bake them longer. Youll know when they are crisp and ready to be flipped because they release freely from the pan. My go-to spatula for roasting food is this thin flexible steel one.
- Season after they are done baking. Sprinkle on sea salt, garlic powder, black pepper, paprika, chili powder, fresh herbs, or parmesan cheese for extra flavor.
Recommended Reading: Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven
How To Make Homemade Oven Baked French Fries
To make baked french fries:
And thats how its done! Super simple, delicious fries that are perfect as a side with pretty much anything. Theyre crispy, just the right amount of salty, and so yummy!
Homemade Baked French Fries
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Sharing is caring!
Did you know you could make crispy, homemade baked french fries without oil? These fries have the perfect golden crisp, and are easy to make with just potatoes and some seasoning. Theyre a wonderful side for your burgers and sandwiches, or just for a healthy snack!
Potatoes have gotten a bad rap when it comes to nutrition. These tasty tubers are not the nutritional villain theyre made out to be. Potatoes are loaded with nutrients and fiber! Its not the potatoes that are bad, but the way theyre prepared that is the problem.
French fries are typically deep fried, resulting in a high saturated fat snack. But these baked french fries are made without a drop of oil, making them a great heart healthy alternative!
You can enjoy french fries every day!
Read Also: Roasting Whole Chicken In Oven
What Should I Serve With Oven French Fries
There are many ways to serve cripy oven fries. Sometimes I like to serve these baked fries with a perfectly grilled steak and roasted garlic aioli.
Other times I like to serve them with healthy grilled chicken nuggets and a creamy honey mustard sauce.
Many people love to make a simple homemade fry sauce! My favorite fry sauce is made with a mixture of ketchup, mayo and dill pickle relish.
How To Season Fries For The Oven
For the seasoning of these easy oven fries, I used salt, black pepper, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
The combination of ingredients is just perfect.
If the seasoning doesnt sound right to you, you can definitely just use salt.
For two large Russet potatoes I use 1/2 tbsp salt.
If you dont like too much salt in your fries, feel free to use less salt.
This easy oven fries recipe is perfect for the times, when you crave french fries, but want to skip the extra trans fat from frying and the big mess afterwards.
Did I mention I dont have a fryer?
Nor even an air fryer.
Also Check: Triple Wall Oven With Microwave
Why Do I Need To Soak My Potatoes Before Baking In The Oven
You should soak your cut fries in some cold water for at least an hour prior to baking in order to make crispy french fries in the oven. This will remove the excess potato starch from the outside of the fries and help them crisp in the oven.
It also crisps them without causing them to burn. This might seem like an unnecessary extra step, but it makes a huge difference when baking fries at home!
Ingredient Info And Substitution Suggestions
POTATOES The two best types of potatoes for french fries are Russet and Yukon gold potatoes. Yukon gold will produce a soft yet crunchy fry and russet potatoes give more of a classic french fry taste. You may know Russet potatoes as Idaho or Yukons as yellow. Do not use a waxy variety like fingerlings or red potatoes.
SEASONING Our recipe for fry seasoning uses cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic salt, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper. You can season with just salt if desired. Remember, when baking fries, you should season them before they go into the oven.
You May Like: Breville Air Fryer Toaster Oven