How To Make Grilled Cheese Sandwich In Air Fryer
- Lay slices of good melting cheese in center of slices of bread. Close the sandwich and spread softened butter on outside of bread. Or spray with light olive oil spray.
- If your bread is really thin and light, it will fly off the sandwich from the circulating air in the air fryer. So you can use a toothpick to secure the sandwich together. But remember to remove the toothpicks before eating!
- Lay sandwich in air fryer and cook. Fantastic grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer thats easy and delicious!
- Full recipe instructions in the recipe box below.
Fantastic grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer thats easy and delicious!
Best Cheeses for Grilled Cheese
Choose a good melting cheese to make it super delicious. We love using classic slices of american cheese because the flavor is great and melts super quick. Sharp cheddar cheese, swiss, tuyere and fontina are examples of good melting cheeses. If youre slicing cheese off a block, make sure to slice the cheese thin. The thicker the cheese, the longer it takes to melt in the air fryer. So cook the sandwich on lower heat until the cheese melts, then cook it on the higher heat setting to toast the bread. Weve tested the sandwich with butter and light spray of olive oil. Both work great with different flavor options!
Heres more easy recipes and air fryer recipes:
Making Incredible Grilled Cheese
This takes the same amount of time as your regular grilled cheese but will taste 5 times better.
What Else Can I Use To Spice Up My Airfryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
As they say, I have shown you the bread andbutter method! Simple bread and cheesebut you can spice things up a little to delivera tastier treat. You should consider adding the following items to really takeyour grilled cheese to the next level
Grilledcheese in air fryer Frequently asked questions
Also Check: Convection Microwave Over The Range Oven
Try These Other Easy Air Fryer Recipes
We have so many air fryer recipes to choose from!
If you are having trouble figuring out which one to try next, we suggest: Air Fryer Hamburgers, Air Fryer Chicken Tenders, Air Fryer Fried Chicken and Air Fryer Hotdogs
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag @AirFryerEatson instagram, if you on the gram!
Let’s get social, you can follow me on , , , or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniors and Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
- Make sure the cheese is inside your bread. If your cheese sticks out, it may burn.
- Be sure to butter the bread and put the buttered sides out.
- Watch for fly away bread. It is possible that your bread might fly around in the air fryer, simply place a metal rack on top to keep it in place.
- If you are Gluten Free, please use your favorite bread.
- Pro Tip:This recipe can be made in the air fryer unit with a basket or the air fryer oven. If you are using the air fryer oven, use the middle rack and select the “Air Fry” function.
The Best Cheese For Grilled Cheese
The best cheeses for grilled cheese melt easily and have a substantial flavor of their own.
- Sharp cheddar, gruyere, swiss, gouda, and fontina are all excellent choices for grilled cheese.
- Avoid pre-shredded cheeses, which do not melt well, or hard, aged cheeses that dont melt as easily , unless you are combining an aged with a different, melty cheese.
- Create a combo. For a unique twist, try a combination of two or more cheeses. My favorite is to use a nutty cheese like gruyere and a classic sharp cheddar.
- Butter. A light swipe of softened butter is necessary to make sure your grilled cheese crisps nicely and doesnt taste dry.
Read Also: Roasting Whole Chicken In Oven
Can You Make Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer
Yes, you can. Grilled cheese in the air fryer is amazing. There are a few different ways you can make air fryer grilled cheese and it depends how you like it.
Maybe you want grilled cheese on toast, or maybe you want a grilled cheese sandwich. Or maybe you have some French bread that needs using up and you want to load it with cheese.
Whatever your favourite method, it is easy to make grilled cheese in an air fryer.
Why Using The Air Fryer Is The Perfect Way To Make Grilled Cheese
Once you make it in the Air Fryer, you wont go back to your habitual way of making it using the stove or panini press. The reasons for that are countless, and Im mentioning a few here:
- Its quicker and easier to make in the Air Fryer.
- You dont need to add any oil.
- Its almost impossible to burn the grilled cheese in the Air Fryer.
- Its a mess-free method, and you wont end up cleaning greasy pans afterwards.
- It wont heat up your kitchen, as compared to using the stove or the oven.
- The Air Fryer is a small gadget!
You May Like: Target Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich Ingredients
There are certain ingredients you must have in order to make grilled cheese sandwiches. Heres a list:
- Any kind of bread
Since Im usually one to tamper with recipes, I like to add a few other ingredients. Here are more things I put inside my sandwiches:
- Jalapeno peppers
For exact measurements of each ingredient and full directions, go to the recipe card at the bottom of the page. You can even print out the card by using the print button.
How To Make The Best Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
You won’t believe how simple this recipe is!
Here’s how to make the best grilled cheese sandwich around:
Recommended Reading: Mac And Cheese In The Oven
Top Tips For The Perfect Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Use other cheeses I tend to go for American cheese or Havarti cheese. However, you dont have to stick with that. In fact, you can use whatever cheese you like most. Gouda is always a crowd favorite along with pepper jack, cheddar, etc.
- Add spices You can add some flavor to your sandwich by sprinkling the outside with some spices. Granulated garlic, onion powder, whatever youre feeling or pairing it with should be your seasoning guide.
- Add parmesan cheese to the outside I love sprinkling some parmesan cheese over the buttered sides of the bread before cooking. It gives it an extra cheesy flavor.
- Butter the inside too If youre an extra buttery person, you can butter both sides of the bread slices. It adds quite a boost of flavoring.
- Use other bread options You dont have to stick with basic white sandwich bread. You can use brioche, homemade bread, whole grain bread, whatever youre feeling or have on hand at the time.
- Make it spicy Add some crushed red peppers to the outside of your sandwich before cooking it. This adds a little kick to your grilled cheese and its delicious!
- Add some tomato and crispy bacon.
Tips For The Perfect Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Dont add too much to the basket. Overcrowding the air fryer basket will affect the results. Instead, leave space around sandwiches so the air can circulate correctly.
- Go for thick bread. In a pinch, you can opt for thin bread, but whenever possible reach for bread that has some bulk to it. Texas toast works wonderfully!
- Make sure not to saturate the bread with the mayo or it will be more soggy and wont toast up the way.
- Dont forget the toothpicks. I know its tempting to skip them, but the bread may fly off if you dont secure it.
- Use the cooking time as a guide. Depending on bread thickness, the sandwiches can cook faster or slower than in the recipe card. So its important when you air fry a grilled cheese sandwich that you keep a close watch so things stay toasty, not burnt.
You May Like: Oster Digital Rapidcrisp Air Fry Oven
How To Make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
A note about the cooking process:
Ive made many grilled cheese sandwiches in my air fryer and have found that 385° F is a good temperature to keep the bread from burning before the cheese melts. You might find that your air fryer cooks differently than mine. This is a common complaint and not something I can mitigate for you. Youll have to keep an eye on the bread throughout the process and adjust as necessary.
Butter each bread slice on one side. Place the buttered side down on a plate and add on the cheese, top with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
Place the sandwich in the air fryer basket. I like to use a piece of parchment paper under the sandwich, but its not necessary. Another thing to note is that some air fryer are quite powerful and will blow the top off the sandwich before the cheese melts. If this is a problem for you, you might want to secure the sandwich together with a toothpick. Just stick one or two into all layers to hold it together.
Cook at 385° F for 8 minutes, turning the sandwich over at the halfway mark to ensure that it gets cooked evenly on both sides.
Sand In Jet Boat Engine
Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the ovento 400°F. Shuck the corn. Remove the husk and silk from the corn. Roast the corn directly on the rack for 25 minutes. Place the corn directly on the oven rack and roast until golden-brown, about 25 minutes. Set the corn aside until cool enough to handle, about 5 minutes. Broil the steak under direct heat for 4-6 minutes. Slide the pan into the oven directly under the broiler. In order for the meat to get done evenly, it will need to be heated for the same amount of time on both sides. If you like your beef rare, aim for a total cook time of about 8 minutes .
Cuisinart TOA26 Stainless Steel Compact Air Fryer Toaster Oven . Make your meals with ease in the compact, versatile oven that AirFries, bakes, broils, and toasts right on your countertop. Prepare the foods you loveburgers and fries, roast chicken and vegetables, cookies, cakes, and morewith 6 function options. The Best Fluffy Pancakes recipe you will fall in love with. Full of tips and tricks to help you make the best pancakes.
Read Also: Cuisinart Toaster Oven Broilers Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven
What To Serve With Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Tomato Basil Soup Nothing compliments a grilled cheese quite like a bowl of tomato soup. Dip your heart away
- Beet, Carrot and Cabbage Salad This Ukrainian style coleslaw is a refreshing sidekick for your grilled cheese.
- Air Fryer French Fries Love fries but hate the guilt? This recipe is for you.
Is Gouda Good For Grilled Cheese
3 other great cheeses for cooking a grilled cheese sandwich when melted are gouda, gruyére or manchego. If youre looking for the BIG ooey gooey cheesy pull try adding these!
Only have a convection oven? Yes you can make this in there too at about 425 degrees for the same time frame. Follow the same directions as instructed here, just set it a bit hotter and ensure rack is on the lowest level.
Don’t Miss: Stove With Double Oven Gas
Other Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Steak Bites Steakin the air fryer? You read right. Its tender, juicy and on the table fast.
- Air Fryer Asparagus Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
- Air Fryer Chicken Want some quick protein on your salad? This chicken can make that happen.
- Air Fryer Cod Cod can be so bland and dry. This recipe makes the fish come out moist and flaky each time.
Questions About The Recipe
My sandwich is burning, what do I do?
Not all air fryers are created equal. Your air fryer may get hotter than others, so lower the temperature or decrease cooking time if your grilled cheese is burning. The biggest complaint about cooking grilled cheese in the air fryer is that the bread sometimes burns. It will be a process of trial and error to get it right for your
Can I use grated cheese instead?
Yes, you can use grated cheese instead of sliced cheese. But, grate your own cheese if you are going to do this. Pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking agents that prevent the cheese from melting nicely.
Can I store these sandwiches?
You can technically store the grilled cheese for later, but I recommend eating them fresh. The bread will lose a lot of its crunch and the cheese wont be warm and gooey.
Read Also: Wall Ovens With French Doors
Ninja Foodi Grilled Cheese
You can make this in any brand you might have at home. There are obviously two main ingredients, plus butter on the bread if you like that.
There is a trick to making sure this comes out perfectly though. Hot air can cause issues so we are here with a kitchen hack to make it come out perfect every time. Can you make grilled cheese in an air fryer? Were here to show you that yes its possible and you may never use a pan again.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
Crispy Air Frying Grilled Cheese Tips
Air frying is the newest and greatest thing in cooking. If you havent gotten into the air frying business then the time is now. Its the healthier, it creates uncompromising flavor, taste and texture. With this grilled cheese there are only a few things you need to keep in mind.
- Know your Air Fryer: Every air fryer is different, check our cooking instructions to make the best decision on cooking temperature and time. My suggestions for cooking are just that, suggestions. To get the crispiest sandwich and the most melty cheese.
- Anchor the Bread: Air fryers work by circulating air, much like a convection oven. If you use a light weight bread youll want to secure the sandwich together with a toothpick so that the bread doesnt go flying off the sandwich.
You May Like: Roast Brussel Sprouts In Oven
How To Cook An Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Making an air fryer grilled cheese is even easier than making it on the stovetop!
All you need to do is to add the cheese to one slice of bread then put the other slice on top.
Butter both sides of the sandwich and put it in the air fryer.
Set the air fryer at 370F degrees for 4 minutes and press start.
When the timer goes off, flip it and put it in for 3 more minutes at 370F degrees.
After that, remove the grilled cheese from the air fryer, slice it and serve it immediately.
Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer
Grilled Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. A nice crisp golden brown grilled cheese sandwich with ooey-gooey melted cheese dipped in tomato soup is just what you want on a chilly winter day. It is also great when you are feeling under the weather.
Yes, yes, grilled cheese can be made easily on the stovetop. And those are fantastic. But Air Fried Grilled Cheese really gets an amazing crisp, more than traditional grilled cheese sandwiches.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fried Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Sliced Sour Dough Bread
- Sliced Cheese I use havarti
Also Check: Kenmore Elite Double Oven Range
How To Make The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich made with mayonnaise instead of butter is in honor of National Grilled Cheese Day. The addition of this switch gives the sandwich a crisp and flavorful crust and almost reminds you of garlic bread. Furthermore, you can use the air fryer to make cheese sticks, mac and cheese balls, and even grilled cheese if you ensure that the cheese does not ooze out into your basket. After its been air-fried at 360 degrees Fahrenheit for 3-5 minutes, its time to cut the cheese.
Gather The Ingredients For An Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Ingredient-wise, this is a pretty simple recipe, requiring just five components. There’s the bread, of course, sourdough or whatever kind you prefer. There’s also some mayo for the outside to get a crunchy crust Hondrum uses avocado oil mayonnaise, but any mayo will work. For cheeses, she uses mozzarella, cheddar, and Parmesan, although you can tinker with these, as well, using whatever cheeses you like best.
Recommended Reading: Induction Range With Convection Oven