How To Prepare Asparagus
If youre working with fresh asparagus, youll want to start by rinsing it to get rid of any dirt, dust, or germs. If necessary, you should remove the woody ends of the asparagus . You can easily snap or cut them. Dont try to roast or bake your asparagus without prepping it first it wont taste very nice.
How Long To Bake Asparagus At 375 Degrees
Other than what temperature to cook it at the biggest question you will have is how long to bake the vegetable. This can be done various ways, but foremost in my mind is always not to overcook it. It can quickly become mushy with wet cooking techniques, or dried-out if baked, broiled or grilled too long. Cooking times will vary based on the thickness of the asparagus and of course the cooking temperature. We are looking for a tender spears, yet with a slight snap to them when you take a bite. I prefer to bake asparagus at 375 degrees myself.
When making asparagus in the oven at 375 degrees :
- Thin asparagus spears – total cook time 16-20 min
- Thick asparagus spears- total cooking time 20-22 min
The Best Baked Asparagus On Your Table In 15 Minutes
Parmesan Baked Asparagus boasts all the nutty, caramelized flavors of roasted asparagus plus the nutty, salty goodness of Parmesan and tantalizing buttery, crispy panko! You are going to want to make this easy, addictive dinner side your entire meal! This Baked Asparagus recipe takes just minutes of prep or it can be prepped ahead of time and just popped in the oven when ready . It is a quick, easy dinner side, extremely versatile and healthy too, loaded with fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals!
Also Check: 30 Inch Wall Oven Microwave Combo
What To Serve It With
Roasted asparagus is the perfect side dish to serve with any main meal, protein, or full spread of veggies. And if you were wondering what protein goes well with asparagus, you are in the right place.
Can I Freeze Asparagus
Yes you can freeze asparagus either before or after baking without losing any flavor, but it will be missing the firm texture. Thicker stems will hold up better, but still wont be as crisp. As the asparagus freezes, small ice crystals puncture the cell walls resulting in a somewhat mushy texture. This makes frozen asparagus ideal for adding to casseroles, sauces, quiche, and soups, but not so much for stand-alone adoration.
Read Also: Old Ge Wall Oven Models
How To Cook Asparagus In The Oven:
There are many different ways to cook asparagus, the easiest, is baking asparagus in the oven.
It comes out perfect every time, you dont have to worry about it falling through the grates on your barbecue. Unlike cooking on the stove top, each asparagus spear will cook evenly in the oven.
Bacon Wrapped Baked Asparagus
- Par cook thick bacon by lining a plate with a few layers of paper towels. Line with half of the cut bacon in an even layer, and top with a layer of paper towels. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes . You want the bacon mostly cooked but still soft and PLIABLE. Dont overcook or it will break when wrapping.
- Season the asparagus and drizzle with olive oil.
- Wrap 1 slice of bacon around 2-4 asparagus stalks depending on their thickness to create a bundle. You want the bacon to go up the asparagus so its in a single layer. Place the bundle on the prepared baking sheet, seam-side down.
- Bake until the bacon is crisp and the asparagus is tender.
Also Check: Best Recipes For Brisket In The Oven
How To Bake Asparagus
- Preheat oven: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. We want a very hot oven to produce a very hot pan that caramelizes the natural sugars of the asparagus for that signature nutty roasted flavor.
- Prepare baking sheet: You can bake your asparagus directly on the baking sheet or line it with foil for easy clean up. In either scenario,spray the surface with nonstick cooking spray. I do NOT recommend parchment paper because it does not promote caramelization.
- Trim asparagus: trim as previously discussed, snapping off all of the tough, woody ends no one wants to bite into chewy asparagus that just doesnt chew!
- Dry asparagus: Rinse and dry asparagus. This is the first time you are rinsing your asparagus. You never want to rinse it before storing. Dry the asparagus very well with a kitchen towel or salad spinner so the asparagus will caramelize and not steam.
- Toss ingredients together: Add asparagus, olive oil, lemon juice and seasonings to the baking sheet and toss to evenly combine. I like to toss all the ingredients together on the baking sheet because then you only have one dish to clean up! I like to use my hands because I feel like it combines everything more evenly than a spatula, but feel free to use a spatula if thats more your thing.
- Add Parmesan: Evenly sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan all over the asparagus. I focused the Parmesan more in the center for this recipe, but that was just for aesthetic reasons.
- Bake: Bake asparagus for 7-10 minutes depending on size.
Asparagus In The Oven
This Baked Asparagus recipe is so simple, youll wonder why you never started roasting asparagus before. All it takes is 5 simple ingredients for you can make time and time again.If you were ever looking for a healthy way to cook asparagus, along with tips and tricks on how to prep and store, you have come to the right place. Serve this simple green side dish for dinner along meat, chicken or veggies. Or whip up some eggs for a spectacular brunch soiree.
This oven-roasted asparagus recipe is created for one reason and that is because I am always looking for simple, straightforward ways to incorporate more greens into my diet. And side dishes, especially vegetable side dishes, give me an excuse to do so.
Cooking asparagus in the oven delivers a quick and healthy side dish that is easily customizable. Plus, I think it is the easiest way to cook it. Once you learn all there is to know about prepping, storing and cooking, the fun part comes in the seasoning and serving.
Add this baked asparagus to your recipe book. I promise you that itll be one youll turn to over and over again. If youd rather cook asparagus on the stove, be sure to check out my Sauteed Asparagus Recipe, and if you want to try your hand in cooking it in the air fryer be sure to try my Air Fryer Asparagus recipe as well.
Don’t Miss: How Long To Cook Lasagna In Oven
How To Freeze Cooked Asparagus:
For packaged freezing, place spears into freezer bags and remove as much air as possible. Dont overpack bags, but work to keep spears in a single layer for quickest freezing. Freeze bags as flatly as possible. Once bags are frozen, pack them into your freezer to maximize space use. For best quality, use frozen asparagus within eight to 12 months
How Do I Make Oven Roasted Asparagus
To roast vegetables, make sure to start with a preheated, hot oven. I use 425 degrees, but if you are cooking other parts of your meal at the same time, this temperature can be adjusted a little up or down either way and you will still get a great result.
In addition to the preheated, hot oven, make sure your vegetables are not crowded on the pan. Overcrowding can cause the vegetables to steam, as opposed to roasting.
To prepare Oven Roasted Asparagus, snap the bottom ends off the spears about an inch from the bottom. You can also choose to cut off the bottoms with a knife if you prefer. Often this is where the whitish end turns green. The whitish bottoms can be tough and slightly stringy.
Place the Asparagus spears on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Turn to coat them and then sprinkle kosher or sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Roast them in the preheated oven for 10 minutes and your result will be a juicy, tender but still slightly crisp Asparagus Spear.
When making Oven Roasted Asparagus, I usually choose a thicker stalk. Sometimes only pencil thin Asparagus is available. This is fine, but slightly less time in the oven may be necessary if a tender, crisp result is desired.
Oven Roasted Asparagus is the perfect accompaniment to so many dishes. I really love it with seafood dishes like my Pan Seared Salmon with Cream Sauce or Baked FRESH Salmon Cakes. These Sticky Asian Barbecue Ribs and Spatchcock Roasted Chicken are a few other great ideas!
Recommended Reading: Oster French Door Convection Toaster Oven
How Long To Roast Asparagus At 425 Degrees
When making roasted asparagus the only difference in roasting is temperature and cooking time. Of course, roasting at higher temps cook the spears faster.
- Narrow asparagus will have a cook time as low as 12 minutes, but more likely closer to 14-16 minutes.
- Thick spears will cook in 15-18 minutes at 425 degrees.
The oven time will vary based on your doneness preference, actual thickness of the spears and accuracy of your oven thermostat. In general, you are looking for tender crisp spears that are mostly still green with just a tinge of brown.
For a different spin on roasted asparagus, try my Balsamic Roasted Asparagus & Tomato with Blue Cheese.
If you love asparagus as much as we do try my Sauteed Asparagus with Mushrooms, Cheesy Baked Asparagus or Alton Brown’s suggestion and zap your salted spears in the microwave wrapped in wet paper towels for 3-4 minutes. Surprisingly this results in nicely cooked spears. I personally rarely steam asparagus, but it is a nice hack when you need a single side dish serving fast. As far as boiling is concerned… just don’t do it. It’s an affront to the vegetable.
Tip: Line the baking pan with parchment or aluminum foil for easy clean-up.
The Best Oven Roasted Asparagus
Published: by · This post may contain affiliate links
My best oven-roasted asparagus is a whole new way to roast asparagus and still maintain a crispy, delicious exterior that makes for a great side dish to dinner.
Theres little in this life that cant be improved by roasting it. And one of my favorite veggies to take to the oven and roast is asparagus. Theres something about the crispy texture asparagus takes on when its roasted that makes it taste even better. My simple oven roasted asparagus recipe can be ready in as little as fifteen minutes.
Cooked asparagus in the oven seals in the natural, nutty flavor of this summertime staple. Also, it enhances the flavor with a blend of garlic, olive oil, and a little char. If youre wondering how to roast asparagus and make a simple side dish for a picnic, barbecue, or just for dinner Ive got you covered. Its a great healthy side dish.
The health benefits of asparagus are also significant. With only five ingredients, this oven-roasted asparagus is super good for you. Plus, it doesnt take away any of the nutrients .
Asparagus provides amazing nutrition. It is naturally rich in fiber and low in calories, high in Vitamins K, C, and A, and antioxidants. It has been shown to support pregnancy and lower blood pressure.
So, lets bake!
Read Also: Boneless Pork Chops In The Oven Recipes
Oven Roasted Asparagus Recipe
This oven roasted asparagus recipe is only 20 calories per serving, and easy to make! Learn how to bake asparagus perfect every single time with this easy to follow recipe.
Its easy to make oven roasted asparagus at home, and extremely low in calories with my secret ingredient Learn how to roast asparagus to perfection every single time, for so low in calories, you can have seconds or even thirds.
In this article Ill teach you how to roast asparagus in the oven, and comes with a nutrition label, printable recipe card, even a shopping list!
Learn how to make asparagus in the oven with our easy to follow asparagus cooking guide.
This oven roasted asparagus recipe is only 20 calories per serving! Check out my secret ingredient that cuts 100 calories from the original recipe
How Do You Cook Asparagus Without It Being Chewy
Cooking asparagus without it being chewy is a difficult task, but it can be accomplished with a few simple steps. First, wash and dry the asparagus. Second, cook the asparagus in a boiling water method until they are just tender. Third, use an oven heated on medium-high heat to bake the asparagus until they are crispy and golden brown. fourth, enjoy!
Recommended Reading: Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo Pizza Oven
Other Seasonings For Oven
Ginger, soy, and sesame seeds are delicious ingredients to season the roasted asparagus with, or you could try wrapping the asparagus in bacon before it hits the oven. A touch of lemon juice or a sprinkle of any tender herbs after the asparagus comes out of the oven is another delicious way to finish the dish instead of adding almonds.
Should You Wash Asparagus Before Cooking
When it comes to cooking, one of the most important things to keep in mind is how to maintain cleanliness. Whether youre cooking for yourself or preparing a meal for others, always make sure to wash your vegetables before eating them. This will help prevent any bacteria from growing and making your food taste bad.
What Youll Find In This Article:
- Oven Roasted Asparagus Ingredients
- How to Bake Asparagus
- Oven Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- Nutrition and Calories for Oven Roasted Asparagus
We make baking asparagus in the oven extra easy, with a shopping list, printable recipe card, even a nutrition label. Learn how to roast asparagus in the oven with this easy to follow guide.
Up Next, you will find a shopping list for oven roasted asparagus recipe
Do You Have To Peel Asparagus
You dont have to peel asparagus. But, you do want to trim the end off of the asparagus stalk, as its very tough, woody, and inedible. You can either snap it off with your hands, cut it with a chefs knife or peel it with a vegetable peeler.
Some recipes call for peeling the asparagus if its part of a shaved salad or a topping of for pizza. Its a great option to switch up the cooking technique, but in this baked asparagus recipe, were not peeling it.
Recommended Reading: Can Gotham Steel Pans Go In The Oven
Tips For The Roasted Asparagus Recipe
- To make your asparagus more tender: You can pre-cook asparagus in the microwave with 1 cup water for 5 minutes, then soak it into ice-cold water before using them.
- Thin asparagus should be done in as little as 10 minutes. Thicker asparagus will need between 15 to 20 minutes.
- We find that parmesan is already salty, so go easy on salt at first, then taste and adjust seasoning to your taste.
- You can use olive oil instead of melted butter.
Should I Blanch Asparagus Before Roasting
This step is completely optional and I often skip it.
Blanching asparagus spears is a simple process. The vegetables are boiled in hot, salty water for a short amount of time, then immediately placed in ice water. It keeps the beautiful green flavor when youre baking asparagus.
Plus, itll also give you a headstart on the process of cooking asparagus in oven. It also means that when you bake them, the outside wont overcook before the insides are done. Itll keep them beautifully crisp too.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Bake Chicken In The Oven
What Temperature To Bake
I found the ideal temperature to roast asparagus to be 425 degrees F. This is the fastest and most efficient.
I have read other recipes that bake the asparagus at 350 or 375 degrees F, but that just means you have to wait longer. If youd rather bake asparagus in a lower temperature oven below are the baking time for various temps:
- 350 Degrees F: 25-30 minutes
- 375 Degrees F: 22-25 minutes
- 400 Degrees F: 15-17 minutes
How To Season Asparagus
Here are some ideas for flavors that will complement your roasted asparagus. Keep it simple and choose just one or two. Or go all-out like I did, and use all four of the first ideas.
- Lemon zest and/or lemon wedges
- Sprinkle of finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Small handful of fresh mint or parsley, finely chopped
- Light sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- Pat or two of butter
- Light drizzle of balsamic reduction or thick balsamic vinegar
- Toasted sliced almonds
Don’t Miss: Microwave Air Fryer Oven Combo
What Do You Put Asparagus In The Oven
If youre looking for a healthy and easy way to cook asparagus, look no further than the oven! Here are some tips on how to properly cook asparagus in the oven: