What Vegetables Go Best With Tilapia
Well, vegetables are versatile and can be enjoyed with lots of meals. The same is the case for Tilapia as well. They are healthy, fresh, and provide various nutritional benefits. Furthermore, you can enjoy Tilapia with many veggies during summertime, such as asparagus, eggplant, bell peppers, and zucchini.
How To Serve Whole Fish
Once your tilapia is cooked, you can serve one per person, split it between two people, or your whole family.
When I make whole tilapia, I would give my very hungry exchange students each one of their own, while Eric and I split one.
Our student Asher was blown away the first time I served whole baked tilapia. I asked him, Dont you only eat whole fish in China?.
Yes. But there is just one fish for all of us. In America I get my OWN fish! His excitement was contagious and baked tilapia became one of our favorite meals to serve our students.
Tips For How To Cook Tilapia
- The first step to cook a whole fish, whether you get your fish frozen like I did or fresh from a tank, is to make sure your tilapia is scaled and cleaned. Ask the fishmonger if youre not sure.
- If your fish is fresh, refrigerate it when you get home and cook the tilapia that night.
- If your tilapia is frozen, place it in a sealed gallon bag and refrigerate over night to thaw. You can also place it in a sink of cold water and change the water out every half hour until the fish is thawed. You can tell your tilapia is thawed when it bends and wriggles easily.
- I like using vinegar for whole fish because, especially with strong tasting fish, it can help mellow out any fishy taste. I find that kids are more likely to eat it that way.
- Put each fish in its own little aluminum foil boat in the baking pan, so the marinade and juices stay with the fish.
- Always rub olive oil on the foil to keep the fish from sticking.
- Another baked tilapia tip is to put a couple of slashes into the skin of the fish on both sides before baking. This help keeps the skin from tearing during the cooking process, and also lets the marinade seep into the flesh of the fish.
- Stuff the fish cavity with aromatics like garlic and fresh parsley to add great flavor.
You May Like: Cook Chicken In The Oven
Baked Lemon Butter Tilapia
Do you prefer your tilapia with a hint of exciting sourness and lemon-y flavor? What about making the fillet smoother than ever with a satisfying, buttery taste? Should you want something that ticks all of those boxes, you are about to be really happy with this recipe of ours. Baked Lemon Butter Tilapia is made with melted butter, some garlic, chopped parsley, and of course, the rich, zesty lemon.
Despite the fact that we dont use a lot of ingredients for this dish, you can count on it to be very flavorful. This is because we truly mix in all of those spices from ground black pepper to garlic into our fish. And because this is, once again, a recipe involving baking instead of frying, it is a healthier way of having your tilapia. The lack of oil really keeps all of our nutrients more intact once its baked. And we get to reduce the amount of saturated fat in our meal.
Should You Soak Tilapia Before Cooking
If youre wondering whether you should soak tilapia before cooking it, the answer is maybe. It depends on the recipe youre using and your personal preference.
Soaking fish in salt water is a traditional method that can help to remove any slimy residue and make the fish firmer.
Soaking is unnecessary if youre using a recipe that calls for marinating or brining. Ultimately, its up to you whether or not to soak tilapia before cooking it.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Steak In The Oven
This Is The Best Way To Cook Tilapia
If you follow these easy directions you will have perfectly baked tilapia every time. The trick to perfect tilapia is to NOT over cook it.
Make sure you are watching the oven since all oven temps will vary.
I think you will love how quick and easy it is. Take the stress out of dinner with easy recipes like this.
You can spend more time gathered around the table with your family and less time in the kitchen. Plus, there is very little cleanup with this recipe.
This easy recipe is definitely a winner all around!
How To Cook Tilapia In The Oven
Tilapia is a white fish low in fat and calories, making it a healthy choice for those looking to lose or maintain a healthy weight.
Tilapia can be cooked in many different ways, but baking it in the oven is a simple and effective way to cook this delicious fish. This article will teach you how to cook tilapia in the oven, step by step.
Recommended Reading: Stove With Double Oven Gas
Pinaputok Na Tilapia Recipe
Among the best parts of Filipino cuisine is how it rarely shies away from incorporating a great and wild variety of ingredients into its dishes. In such a way, Filipino cooks are able to be both extravagant and innovative in their creations. Pinaputok na Tilapia stands as one of those recipes filled to the brim with onions, ginger and tomatoes to grant our usually milder-tasting fish a much richer flavor.
This comes as no surprise, considering the name of the dish. Pinaputok, in Filipino, means burst. And perhaps just from its exterior, we can see just how directly the dish was titled. But biting into one of these can tell you another story to the name, as it is bursting with great taste and varying textures.
Can You Eat Tilapia Raw
Tilapia has a mild and somewhat sweet taste, making it a popular substitution for red snapper in sushi recipes. Tilapia is very healthy for you and is even a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon Raw Salmon is one of the healthiest foods you can eat.
It is high in protein, vitamins and minerals, and it is low in saturated fat and cholesterol. Salmon can also be used as a substitute for tuna in many recipes because of its low fat content.
Don’t Miss: How To Clean Burnt Oven
How I Learned To Cook Whole Fish
Years ago when Eric and I were in Senegal , we had several huge covered bowls brought out to our group for lunch. You should have seen some our teammates jump back when the covers were removed and they saw several whole fish laying on top of rice and vegetables.
Most of our group decided on granola bars for lunch that day, but Eric and I circled around a bowl with our African teammates and dug in! The tilapia were incredibly delicious and full of flavor.
Im so glad Im an adventurous eater, because if I had refused those fish I would have missed out on a valuable cooking lesson.
Whole fish have all of their fat, with skin on to hold the fat in. Fish fat is lean, heart healthy, and has a lot of flavor. By keeping the fat in the fish while cooking you get juicy, flavorful, mouthwatering fish.
Heres a similar technique to cook whole salmon.
How Long To Cook Tilapia In The Oven
Tilapia is a mild-flavored fish that is popular in many cuisines. It is a versatile fish that can be cooked in many different ways, including baking.
When baking tilapia, the cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish. A good rule of thumb is to cook the fish for 10 minutes for every inch of thickness.
Therefore, a 1-inch thick tilapia filet should be baked for about 10 minutes, while a 1.5-inch thick filet should be baked for about 15 minutes.
The fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork and has an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Drumsticks In The Oven
Veggies To Serve With Tilapia
Other Fish Recipes To Try
Theres no reason simple dishes cant be delicious. However, if you want something a little more complex, try one of these other recipes:
- Dijon Mustard Salmon: Dijon mustard salmon is quick, easy, and full of flavor. Make this recipe tonight for a meal that goes from oven to table in just 15 minutes and it only requires few ingredients.
- Easy Grilled Fish Tacos: This grilled fish taco comes together so quickly and is the perfect summertime meal!
- Cajun Salmon with Strawberry Salsa: This Cajun Salmon with Strawberry Salsa is a perfect summer lunch or light dinner to enjoy during the week. Its easy to make, gluten-free, Whole30, and paleo-friendly.
- Pomegranate Glazed Salmon: The easiest 4-Ingredient Pomegranate Glazed Salmon you will ever make. It only requires 4-ingredient and the glaze has no added sugar, but has a delicious tangy flavor!
- Salmon Chopped Salad Recipe: This Salmon Chopped Salad recipe is quick and easy to make, packed with protein, healthy fats and its flavoured with lemon vinaigrette.
Did you make a recipe? Tag on Instagram so we can find you!
Don’t Miss: Barbeque Chicken Thighs In The Oven
How To Cook Frozen Tilapia In Oven
What is a good recipe for baked Tilapia?
- Directions Preheat oven to 400°. Season tilapia with salt and pepper and place on a small baking sheet. Mix together butter, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and zest then pour over tilapia. Place lemon rounds on top and around tilapia. Bake tilapia for 10 to 12 minutes or until fish is fork-tender.
Tips For Making This Recipe
Links on some posts are affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cooking Tips – Try to be very careful flipping the tilapia. It gets quite flaky when it cooks, so to keep it in one piece, you may want to use a large fish spatula.
Recommended Tools – For the best results when cooking fish, I highly recommend using an instant-read thermometer. This will keep you from overcooking your fish.
If you try this recipe, let us know! and share your photos or leave us a rating.
Also Check: Target Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Why Youll Love This Recipe
How Long To Bake Tilapia
If you havent baked tilapia before you may be wondering how to do it properly. Here are a few quick tips for the best baked tilapia:
- Like most fish fillets, tilapia cooks up pretty quickly! Youll want to check on it as soon as its been in the oven for 10 minutes, or even sooner if your oven runs hot.
- The fillets are done when they flake easily with a fork .
- If youre using a meat thermometer, insert it sideways into the thickest part of the fillet. The temperature should be 145°F.
This Tilapia Oven Recipe Is Easy
Baked Tilapia is probably one of the easiest ways to make tilapia. Its perfect for when you forget to take something out of the freezer for dinner. You can still have dinner ready in a flash.
I try to always keep a bag of tilapia in the freezer for this reason. I know I can grab it and get dinner ready in a pinch.
Its truly faster than take out or leaving the house to dine out.
Ways To Bake Tilapia In The Oven So Its Crispy And Flaky
As a white fish, tilapia easily takes on the flavors of the other foods you combine it with. You can make a range of oven-baked tilapia recipes, including panko-crusted baked tilapia and Cajun-seasoned baked tilapia.
Video of the Day
Fish like tilapia are considered a nutritious addition to any diet because they are good sources of protein and unsaturated fatty acids, according to the American Heart Association. It’s worth noting that tilapia tends to have less omega-3 fatty acids compared to other fish, per Harvard Health Publishing.
Baked Tilapia Recipe Ingredients
- Tilapia fillets: As I stated earlier, you can use fresh or frozen and both can be found at your local grocery store.
- Salt: This helps to season the fish and draw out a little moisture helping them to cook perfectly.
- Pepper: Adding a little black pepper will give our fish a nice savory flavor.
- Butter: Butter goes incredibly well with fish because the rich fatty flavors work well with the light flaky meats.
- Parsley: Fresh minced parsley will make your fish look well garnished and help to give a fresh taste at the end.
- Lemon: Adding a little lemon juice over the top of the fish will help to give a nice acidity and freshness so that the flavor of the tilapia is well balanced.
Can You Cook Fish Sticks In A Toaster Oven
Some fish stick manufacturers recommend their products not to be cooked in a toaster oven. However, you can cook yours in this oven without problems.
The only problem you can encounter is the right combination of temperature and cooking time. It all depends on your fish stick and the toaster ovens heating system.
Some people place their fish sticks in the toaster oven while still frozen, while others thaw them first before cooking. You can also try adding some oil before cooking. This way, you can get that fried texture rather than a simple toasted output from the toaster oven.
Do You Cover Fish When You Bake It
Lots of people prefer to bake their fish by wrapping it in foil. This method is very efficient, as it cuts down on oven and utensil cleaning time. By wrapping the fish in a protective covering, it has a similar effect to steaming, as moisture is sealed within the foil rather than escaping into the oven.
Lemon Butter Baked Tilapia Recipe
This easy oven baked tilapia recipe makes a healthy dinner in only 20 minutes. Lemon butter tilapia needs just 5 simple ingredients!
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free.
This oven baked tilapia recipe is an easy way to get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. Made with just five simple ingredients , this lemon butter tilapia has bright lemon flavor, with a rich buttery texture. And unlike my standalone lemon butter sauce for fish, this sauce does not require cooking separately.
Go ahead and buy the big package of tilapia, and try my parmesan crusted tilapia or pan fried tilapia next! Serve your tilapia recipes with roasted asparagus or sauteed broccoli for a fast and healthy meal.
Easy Lemon Garlic Baked Tilapia
Lemon Garlic Baked Tilapia is the easiest and tastiest way to get healthy fish onto the dinner plate. Cooking fish at home has never been easier! My family loves eating fish at home. When we lived in California with all…
Lemon Garlic Baked Tilapia is the easiest and tastiest way to get healthy fish onto the dinner plate. Cooking fish at home has never been easier!
My family loves eating fish at home. When we lived in California with all the fresh fish options, we would eat fish twice a week or more. Moving away from California the options for fish are a lot less plentiful. Odds are that if you are reading this, you have limited options as well. Quality frozen fish is actually a great option. The trick is to use it as soon as you can after thawing. A lot of the fish you buy from the fish counter at the grocery store is previously frozen and thawed there, so you might as well buy it frozen and thaw it yourself for maximum freshness.
This recipe uses Tilapia, which is an incredibly common and less expensive white fish. Its a great option to eat fish on a budget. You can use any white fish with this recipe though so feel free to experiment with what is available in your area.
Serving And Storage Instructions
Fish is best fresh from the oven because who likes cold fish, right? Add a side of rice, and you have a complete meal.
Allow leftovers to cool and keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for two or three days or in the freezer for two months.
Reheat in an oven-proof baking dish at 400/205 or in the microwave with 30-second blasts until heated.
What Temp Should Tilapia Be Cooked To
However, if you have thick filets they make take up to 25 minutes to fully cook.
If you arent sure the fish is fully cooked, you can check the internal temperature with an instant-read thermometer.
Foodsafety.gov recommends cooking fin fish such as tilapia to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit.