How To Make Chicken Thighs In Air Fryer
You will need:
- Chicken thighs bone in, skinless
- Oil in spray this is not needed with skin-on thighs
Equipment and tools:
- Small bowl & dessert spoon for mixing the spice rub
There are barely 3 steps to this recipe. First, mix all the seasoning in a small bowl. Then, coat each piece of chicken evenly with the mix . You should use all the seasoning for 4 thighs.
Air fryer chicken thighs are then cooked for 15-20 minutes. I also spray them with oil and turn them over halfway through the cooking time. The best temperature is 400°F .
If you are not sure that your airfryer chicken thighs are done , I recommend using a food thermometer. Stick it in and if it reads 165°F you can take them out and serve.
Which Air Fryer Did I Use
I absolutely love the Cuisinart Convection Air Fryer Toaster Oven . It was an investment, but I use the toaster oven part often and I love the larger basket this machine had, plus the convenience of having an air fryer that could stay out on the counter. The Cuisinart is the air-fryer I used for this recipe to cook 8 chicken thighs at once, but if you have a smaller model you might only be able to fit 6 thighs.
How To Make Chicken Thighs In The Air Fryer
Make the rub mixture. In a small bowl, combine together the salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and Italian seasoning.
Prep the chicken. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F. My air fryer doesnt really need to be preheated, but in this cake everything will go so fast, you might as well have it ready to go. Before starting, pat the thighs dry with paper towels. Brush each chicken thigh with olive oil on both sides. Generously sprinkle the chicken on both sides with the rub mixture.
Air fry the chicken. Place chicken thighs skin side down in the basket to air fry. Cook for 12 minutes, then turn them over and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. If you like the chicken to have crispy skin, and the thighs are not crispy enough, cook for an additional 5 minutes or until its to your liking. The chicken is cooked through when a thermometer reads 165°F inserted in the center of a thigh.
Don’t Miss: How Long Do You Bake Chicken Legs In The Oven
Ingredients For Air Fryer Bone In Chicken Thighs
This recipe is for 4 chicken thighs, so youll need 4 skin on, bone in chicken thighs. You can also do this for 2 thighs, which is what we often do for quick weeknight dinners. Simply half the spices called for!
Aside from the chicken thighs, only a few spices are called for, which really makes this recipe so simple and easy. Youll need a bit of olive oil, or avocado oil, or oil spray. The spices that are used include salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and oregano.
All of these ingredients are easily accessible at grocery stores, and we love cooking with bone in chicken thighs because they are almost always less expensive than chicken breasts. Not only are they more flavorful, but because bone in thighs require less processing than breasts, theyre cheaper!
Ingredients In Boneless Buffalo Chicken Thighs
To make these buffalo chicken thighs you need 1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless, chicken thighs and 2/3 cup buffalo sauce to start. Beyond that you just need avocado oil or olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper. Because there are so few ingredients, this recipe is naturally gluten free, paleo, Whole30, low carb and dairy free!
Also Check: Pizza At The Brick Oven
Can You Reheat Chicken In An Air Fryer
Thats another yes! It only takes a couple of minutes to heat up chicken in your air fryer, and it comes out much better than microwave-heated chicken. Plus, its quick and super easy.
Whether you heat precooked frozen chicken tenders or leftovers from the night before, try reheating your chicken in your air fryer. Youll be amazed by how much better it is. In fact, it tastes as fresh as if youd just made it.
What Temperature Do You Cook Chicken In An Air Fryer
It depends but this one is perfect set to 375 degrees. Other chicken recipes may be set to a bit lower or higher depending on whether the pieces are breaded or not and how thick they are.
- Total cook time for our chicken thigh recipe was 25 minutes. Timing will vary slightly depending on how large each piece is. Our total weight for 4 pcs. was 2.3 lbs.
- For baked teriyaki chicken thighs it is closer to 16 minutes for boneless.
Youll cook chicken thighs in the air fryer basket you have.
- Always ensure the internal temperature of your piece of chicken is at least 165. Similar to air fryer chicken leg quarters. A great choice if you want larger pieces.
- The air fryer cooks fried chicken without oil which we love!
It is important to flip them halfway through so you get a nice golden brown on both sides.
Here is a quick rundown of how to air fry thighs easily. I have a printable version at the bottom of this post as well.
You May Like: Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs Bone In
Sharing is caring!
These Air Fryer Chicken Thighs Bone In will be the juiciest chicken thighs you have ever eaten. It takes about 20 minutes to air fry and serve your chicken dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links. See my Disclosure Policy for more info. Do you love your air fryer? Follow to stay up to date on all of the new air fryer recipes!
What To Serve With Them
Most often, I serve this with
- some kind of potato side, such as homemade potato wedges or sweet potato wedges . Theyd also go really well with these mini garlic parmesan hasselback potatoes. OR
- some kind of flavoured rice or a simple risotto. How about this quick and easy lemony Mediterranean rice with chickpeas? OR
- a simple salad and olive oil toasts.
- a yummy Mediterranean side dish such as this amazing vegetarian eggplant lasagna.
- For a low-carb option, serve with this amazing baked eggplant with tomatoes and feta and these legendary crispy halloumi fries .
AND some kind of vegetable either simple roasted vegetables or simple pan fried or boiled fresh or frozen veggies. Unless youre making a salad instead!
Love this recipe? Learn how to air fry a whole chicken for another very easy and versatile midweek meal!
Recommended Reading: How To Make Chicken Breast In Oven
Ingredients For These Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Thighs We used bone-in chicken thighs, but you can use boneless. Boneless chicken thighs will cook faster so watch cooking time.
- Olive Oil Any type of oil will work, but it should have a high heat point, so we used olive oil.
- Rub We used a mixture of sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder and onion powder in our homemade rub, but you can use your favorite chicken rub.
Tips & Tricks For Making Chicken Thighs In Air Fryer
- Preheat the air fryer before cooking.
- Cook in a single layer. Four chicken thighs fits comfortably in my air fryer basket. There should be no overlapping or stacking of chicken.
- Place aluminum foil under the basket. This will collect any excess flour and make clean up a breeze.
- Spray with cooking spray. Give the chicken a spritz with cooking spray a few times as they cook. This helps the flour coating stick to the chicken and makes them extra crispy.
- Use a meat thermometer to check for done-ness. All air fryers are a bit different and cooking times may vary. The chicken needs to cook until its internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- Thighs should be bone-in and skin-on for this recipe.
How long to cook chicken thighs in the air fryer?
In my air fryer, these take about 17 minutes on one side and an additional 6 minutes on the other side. Exact time will vary depending on your air fryer and the size of the chicken thighs.
What can I serve with this air fryer chicken?
Turn these crispy chicken thighs into a full meal with a side of mashed potatoes and coleslaw. A basket of dinner rolls or cheddar bay biscuits would be perfect too! While not easy to cook at the same time, I often cook my Air Fryer Baked Potato beforehand, then heat up in the microwave when its time for dinner.
How can I make this more like deep fried chicken?
For a more crunchy deep fried feel, coat the chicken with a beaten egg after adding the flour coating. Then cover with breadcrumbs and air fry as directed.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Oven Fish
Tips For The Best Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Follow these tips for the best air fried chicken thighs:
- Pat the chicken skin dry. Drying the chicken with a paper towel before seasoning ensures the chicken will get crispy.
- Dont crowd the air fryer. Leave some room in between the chicken pieces to allow the skin to get crispy.
- Flip halfway through. Flipping the chicken helps it cook more evenly. It doesnt really matter, though, if you place it skin side down first or skin side up.
- Use a meat thermometer. It ensures your meat is cooked perfectly. Cook to an internal temperature of at least 170 degrees F.
Can I Bake Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs In The Oven:
Absolutely! If you dont own an air fryer or if you simply prefer baking chicken thighs in the oven, feel free to do so.
Transfer the chicken thighs to a large casserole dish and bake at 425 degrees F. for 20 minutes, or until the chicken thighs reach 165 degrees F on the inside.
For crispy chicken thighs, turn on the broil setting and select High. Broil for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the chicken thighs are crispy on top.
If you love cooking boneless skinless chicken thighs, also check out my Asian Baked Boneless Chicken Thighs recipe!
Enjoy this simple, flavorful boneless chicken thighs recipe!
Recommended Reading: Club Chefman Recipes
Read Also: Built In Oven And Microwave
How To Air Fry Chicken Thighs
Here is an overview of how to cook chicken thighs in the air fryer. Find the full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions below.
Why Isnt My Chicken Crispy In The Air Fryer
Dry the outside of the food properly before you add any oil, so make sure to pat the thighs dry with paper towels. Do not use too much oil, as this will make the food less crispy and more fattening. Meat or poultry can be lightly brushed with oil or sprayed with cooking spray to get the crispiest results.
Don’t Miss: Roast Brussel Sprouts In Oven
Why Its The Best Recipe For Simple Baked Chicken Thighs
I love this recipe-thats-hardly-a-recipe for a few simple reasons:
- It takes only around 5 minutes to get the chicken into the oven.
- After that your meal can be quite hands-off. Prepare a couple of sides , then put your feet up for half an hour.
- Although its easy, the herbs and spices make the chicken super tasty.
- You can either bake the chicken in your oven for 35 to 45 minutes. OR you can bake it in your air fryer for around 15 to 17 minutes.
How To Season Chicken
Wondering how to season chicken? Its so easy. Our #1 tip is to make sure not to under season your chicken. Nothing is worse than flavorless chicken. Plus, this seasoning isnt overly salty, so you really cant overseason.
Also Check: Double Oven With Stove Top
The Best Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
These delectable pieces of chicken are going to rock your world! Theyre fast, theyre delicious and because theyre cooked in the air fryer a tad bit healthier than if you had pan fried them. Using the air fryer eliminates the extra fat you need to add to a dish to get that crispy outside and perfect inside. I love that I can have fabulous meal on the table in no time, even if I didnt plan ahead. Pairing it with some rice, and veggies and I have a scrumptious satisfying meal in no time!
Keeping the bone in and the skin on increases the moisture and the flavor of these thighs. The skin will get nice and crispy and full of flavor while the inside is perfectly moist and juicy. Cooking poultry in the air fryer has become an absolute favorite around here. Its so delectable every time. I love how its never dry or over done. And its quick and easy. I can seriously have perfectly cooked chicken for any meal faster than any other way without the added fats or liquid. These thighs are just so amazingly delicious.
Favorite Air Fryer Chicken Thigh Recipe
Looking for a super simple dinner idea thats tender on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside? Look no further than air fryer chicken thighs.
We are huge fans of chicken thighs in general at Fit Foodie Finds because a little bit of dark meat can do the soul good. Chicken thighs typically come out so much juicier than chicken breasts and they really are tasty.
Also Check: Wall Mount Oven And Microwave
Dont Have An Air Fryer You Can Make These In The Oven
No worries if you dont have an air fryer, you can still make incredible chicken thighs in the oven. They will take a little longer but with this trick theyll still come out crispy and juicy.
How To Cook Bone In Chicken Thighs In Air Fryer
Use a paper towel to pat dry the chicken thighs.
In a bowl, add paprika, garlic powder, parsley, thyme, ginger, vegetable oil, black pepper, and salt. Mix well till combined.
Brush the seasoning mix all over the chicken thighs.
Arrange the chicken thighs in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Dont stack them.
Air fry chicken thighs at a temperature of 200C/400F for 12 minutes. After 12 minutes, use a tong to flip the thighs and continue to air fry at 400F/200C for another 12 minutes or till they are cooked.
When they are cooked, bring them out of the air fryer. Let them rest for a few minutes, then serve.
Recommended Reading: Jimmy Deans Breakfast Bowls
Read Also: Wall Oven And Microwave Cabinet
My Method For Crispy Chicken Thigh Skin
I start by pre-heating the air fryer before I spray with cooking spray. I do this only when I want my food to be really crispy.
I make sure the chicken thighs are patted dry and any excess skin is cut away.
Then I mix the chicken thighs with all of the seasonings.
Now we can place the chicken thighs in the air fryer basket skin side down.
I do this so the skin can start to render the fat without browning the skin too much.
I also do this with my Air fryer whole chicken recipe.
My Air fryer has a 6 quart basket so 4 chicken thighs fit perfectly.
If your air fryer is smaller you would need to cook these in batches.
After the chicken thighs cook skin side down, we can flip them over and continue to cook them until the skin is nice and crispy and the internal temperature is 165F.
Whats The Difference Between Chicken Thighs And Chicken Breasts
Aside from being a different part of the chicken, chicken thighs are smaller and require less processing than chicken breasts. Chicken thighs are also a little moister than chicken breasts because of the higher fat content. The last main difference is that the thighs are a dark meat and the breast is a light meat.
Recommended Reading: Triple Wall Oven With Microwave