Health Benefits Of Brussels Sprouts
If there is one thing that will cause an argument over a British dining table it will be Brussels sprouts and the argument will be over whether you love them or hate them. They are kind of like Marmite and they divide the nation.
Brussels sprouts are high in vitamin K, which is necessary for blood clotting and bone health. They are a good source of vitamin C, which helps to promote iron absorption and is involved in tissue repair and immune function. They also contain small amounts of potassium, thiamine, vitamin B6, iron, phosphorus and magnesium.
What To Serve With Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Crispy roasted brussels sprouts pair perfectly with common proteins and with holiday meals, such as:
- Holiday centerpieces Like Thanksgiving turkey, prime rib roast, or for a vegetarian option, whole roasted cauliflower.
- Hearty side dishes Mashed potatoes are great for those who eat them, but around here we swap in mashed cauliflower or loaded cauliflower casserole.
- Bowl meals Mix this crispy brussels sprouts recipe with any other fresh or leftover roasted vegetables , and top over a bed of caulifower rice or veggie pasta with a drizzle of tahini sauce.
How To Store And Reheat Roasted Brussel Sprouts:
Storing Roasted Brussel Sprouts is easy to do. Place the leftovers in an air tight container and they will stay good for about 4 days.
When you are ready to reheat, we recommend placing the leftover on a foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle some olive oil over the top and season them.
Place the baking sheet in a preheated oven of 350 degrees for about 5 minutes until heated. You can also reheat in the microwave but the texture will change and the brussel sprouts may become mushy.
You May Like: How To Make Chicken Breast In Oven
How To Prepare Brussels Sprouts For Roasting
When shopping for Brussels sprouts at your favorite grocery store, look for firm, bright green heads with tightly packed leaves. Go for larger Brussels sprouts when you can choose. Before trimming, wash your Brussels sprouts to remove any dirt. Stem and halve the Brussels sprouts using a sharp knife. If you have some sprouts that are very large compared to others, cut them into quarters, but try to keep them at the same size as much as possible.
How To Use Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasted Brussels sprouts make an ideal side dish, but they also impart a sweet-savory vegetable flourish to hearty mains and add heft to lunches and leftovers.
Try Ina Garten’s classic Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe from Barefoot Contessa on Food Network. The key to a perfect roasted vegetable is a hot oven.
Don’t Miss: Are Pyrex Glass Bowls Oven Safe
How To Roast Brussels Sprouts In The Oven
This section shows how to cook brussels sprouts in the oven, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique, to help you visualize it. For full instructions, including amounts and temperatures, see the recipe card below.
How To Buy Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts are generally sold by the pound and can be found from early fall through winter at most supermarkets. At farmers markets, theyre often sold on the stalk a bonus because they keep fresher longer that way. From the stalk, simply cut each sprout at the base end when ready to use.
Whether youre at the grocery store or farmers market, look for Brussels sprouts that are firm, bright green and heavy for their size. The sprouts outer leaves should be intact and tightly packed. Avoid sprouts with yellowing or torn leaves , holes or black or brown spots on the leaves or stem, which can indicate fungus or decay. Its said that smaller sprouts are more tender and sweeter, while larger sprouts have more of a pronounced cabbage flavor profile. Pick sprouts that are about the same size so that theyll cook at the same rate.
Also Check: Boneless Pork Chop Oven Recipes
Why You Will Love It
- Low in calories – There are just over 118 calories per portion.
- A new way to enjoy sprouts – Never have plain boiled sprouts again!
- The perfect side dish for a roast dinner – Sprouts are a must on every roast dinner in our opinion, especially at Christmas.
- Lots of different flavours you can add – We went with parmesan and garlic, but we have given options below of all the different ways you can flavour these roasted sprouts.
Instructions For Baked Brussel Sprouts
This is an overview of the instructions for the crispy Brussel sprouts!! For the complete directions just scroll down to the bottom!
This simple method for Baked Brussels Sprouts is a hit every time!
Don’t Miss: Bake Chicken Legs In Oven
More Uses For Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasted Brussels sprouts can be a hearty and healthy component in main dishes. They complement so many flavors! Here are a few recipes to prove it:
Got leftovers? Here are a few ways to use up your extra roasted Brussels sprouts. As youll see, roasted sprouts go particularly well with creamy elements, like melted cheese, hummus, and scrambled eggs.
- Roasted Brussels sprouts are great inside grilled cheese sandwiches, cheese quesadillas and hummus quesadillas .
- Pile roasted Brussels sprouts on toast slathered with hummus and garnish with chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- Top any creamy pasta dish, including mac and cheese, with roasted sprouts to make it more redeeming.
- Enjoy sprouts in the morning by stirring them into goat cheese scrambled eggs.
Please let me know how you like your roasted Brussels sprouts in the comments! I hope this recipe becomes one of your go-to side dishes.
Twirl Them Into Pasta
Fold in chopped, roasted sprouts to this sweet-savory Rigatoni with Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts and Bacon, use them to bolster a crowd-pleasing Orecchiette with Vegan Sausage and Brussels Sprouts , or julienne roasted sprouts to replace the shredded raw ones in this brilliant Caesar Veggie Pasta Salad.
Also Check: Ge Double Oven Electric Range Slide In
How To Roast Brussel Sprouts:
Roasting vegetables is one of my favorite sides to make with many different recipes. Prepare a baking sheet and line it with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place the cleaned and trimmed brussel sprouts on the baking sheet. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
We recommend placing them in a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and seasoning with your favorite seasoning. In about 15 to 20 minutes you will have a delicious and healthy side dish to serve.
Season The Brussels Sprouts
HOW TO ROAST BRUSSEL SPROUTSIna GartenFood Network KitchensBrussel Sprouts, Olive Oil, Salt, Black Pepper,HOW TO ROAST BRUSSEL SPROUTS Ina Garten Food Network Kitchens Brussel Sprouts, Olive Oil, Salt, Black Pepper
Matt Armendariz, 2014, Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved
Toss the Brussels sprouts with a few glugs of extra virgin olive oil, season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
Recommended Reading: Triple Wall Oven With Microwave
Dont Overcrowd The Pan
Brussels sprouts need some breathing room on the pan, or theyll produce so much steam that they never crisp up. Its better to use two pans, arranged on separate racks near the middle of the oven, than to cram too many sprouts on one pan. See my note in the recipe for more details.
Tip: Here is my favorite large, rimmed baking sheet .
Roasted Brussel Sprouts Recipe Tips:
- Use fresh and organic brussel sprouts. Also, try to pick larger sized Brussels sprouts, because you will cut them in half. Similarly, when cooking them they will reduce in size, so is best to use larger sized sprouts.
- When roasting the brussel sprouts is best to place them directly on a metal baking sheet without any foil or paper. This will make them crispier and crunchier.
- Dont overcrowd your pan. Make sure there is some space between them so they cook evenly and have room to breathe. Otherwise, they will steam and wont be as crunchy.
- In addition, make sure the oven is pre-heated to 425 degrees F before placing them in the oven. To make them crispier, you want to have high heat.
- It is best to keep them cut side down when roasting.
Recommended Reading: Outdoor Fireplace Kits With Pizza Oven
How To Roast Brussel Sprouts
These sprouts are so easy to make! Grab some olive oil, salt, and pepper and youre halfway there. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees while you prep your sprouts.
PREP. Take your washed Brussel sprouts, and make sure the ends are trimmed and the yellow leaves are all removed. You can keep them whole or slice them into halveswhatever your preference is.
COAT. Place them in a ziplock bag with the extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and pepper. Call your kids into the kitchen for the next parttheyre gonna like helping with this one. Pass them the bag and have them shake it up until the Brussel sprouts are coated in the olive oil.
BAKE. Dump all of the Brussel sprouts in a single layer onto a lightly greased rimmed baking sheet and cook them until theyre just the right amount of crispy.
Eat them as is or drizzle with a little balsamic glaze.
The size of your sprouts and the desired level of crispiness will affect the cooking time at various temperatures. Be sure to watch closely during the last few minutes of roasting, as they will brown and crisp quickly.
Here are time and temperature variations based on your desired texture. Trust me, all of these options are delicious!
- 475: 15-20 minutes
- 425: 30-35 minutes
- 400: 30-40 minutes
- 375: 20-25 minutes
Brussels Sprouts Shopping Tips
Buy Brussels sprouts up to 2 to 3 days before you’re going to prepare them for optimal freshness, although they should keep in a plastic bag in the refrigerator crisper for up to 1 week. Look for Brussels sprouts that are bright green and have some weight to them. If they are very light, they’ve started to dry out. Smaller sprouts are usually sweeter and a bit more tender than larger ones.
For this recipe, we don’t recommend frozen Brussels sprouts.
Don’t Miss: Ignitor For Whirlpool Gas Oven
Tips For The Roasted Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
This Brussels sprouts recipe is super easy and versatile. Here are a few tips to make it even better!
- Make sure to cut the Brussels sprouts into even pieces to achieve a similar texture.
- For a nice golden sear, turn the Brussels sprouts cut side down on the sheet pan.
- Make sure your oven is at the right temperature for at least 5 to 10 minutes before putting the sheet pan in. This will help to lightly sear the outside of the Brussels sprouts and get the insides soft.
- Feel free to add more parmesan to the Brussels sprouts.
- To make this side dish more substantial you can add chopped bacon to the Brussels sprouts. Other nice add-ins might be sweet potato cubes, quartered onions, whole garlic cloves
Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts
This easy-to-make Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts recipe is a delicious side dish made with lemon, Parmesan cheese, extra virgin olive oil, and lots of garlic.
These days Im all about cooking easy recipes like this Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts recipe. I guess you all agree with me that we dont want/like to spend hours in the kitchen when we have lots of things to do aside of cooking for our families.
Our weeknight dinners have been us eating roasted/baked/grilled chicken or fish with some veggies. It doesnt get easier than that. Agreed? So, because my husband loves Brussel sprouts , we always buy them and roast them with a good amount of olive oil and lots, lots, lots of Parmesan cheese.
It takes this Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts recipe to another level. I also love to roast any green veggie with lemon juice. Mm A yummy, easy, and quick recipe. Its definitely a winning side dish!
If youve got a ton of Brussels sprouts, then you need to try out my Brussels Sprouts Casserole Recipe , Parmesan Brussels Sprouts Salad, Sausage with Brussels Sprouts Skillet, and Roasted Brussels Sprouts Quinoa Salad! Theyre so tasty and are also perfect for simple weeknight dinners when youre tired.
You May Like: 27 Inch Electric Double Wall Oven
Prep The Brussels Sprouts
First things first, preheat your oven to 425 F so that it’s ready to go after you prepare the sprouts. Now, it’s time to focus on the little vegetables start by rinsing and patting your Brussels sprouts dry with a kitchen towel. Next, trim the ends and pull off any outer leaves that look brown or are wilted. Then halve the sprouts lengthwise, which will not only help them cook more evenly, but it makes them more bite-sized.
Stack Em Into Sandwiches
Sandwich fillings might not be an obvious choice for sprouts, but they work especially well in toasted sandwiches, like this Brussels Sprouts and Salami Panini or an umami-packed Brussels Sprout and Bacon Grilled Cheese. For a sandwich that begs you to eat the rainbow, check out this customizable Roasted Vegetable Sandwich.
Recommended Reading: Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Round Dutch Oven
Ways To Adapt This Recipe
Roasted Brussels sprouts are wonderfully versatile! Here are just a few ideas of how you can change up the recipe:
- Add nuts: Toast some pine nuts, roughly chopped walnuts, or slivered almonds on the side and toss them with the roasted sprouts to serve.
- Brighten with vinegar: You can easily use apple cider vinegar in place of the lemon juice called for in this recipe, or balsamic vinegar.
- Add a sweet touch: Omit the Parmesan at the end and instead toss with a tablespoon of maple syrup or pomegranate glaze.
- Add bacon or pancetta: Chop up some bacon or pancetta and cook on medium until browned. Replace some of the olive oil in this recipe with the bacon or pancetta fat to roast the sprouts. At the end, toss the sprouts with the cooked chopped bacon or pancetta.
- Roast with other veggies: Roast a pound of cubed butternut squash, golden beets, or sweet potatoes along with the sprouts. Brussels sprouts play well with root vegetables and winter squash.
The Secret Ingredient For The Best Brussels Sprouts
The key to success with roasted or baked Brussels sprouts is salt. Salt makes the roasted caramelized flavors pop!
Salt the sprouts generously as they are going into the oven, more than you might normally salt vegetables. Once out of the oven, taste, and salt again if need be.
The recipe calls for a pound of Brussels sprouts. We’ll usually make a little more, just so we have more to snack on. We can eat them like popcorn!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Steak In Air Fryer Toaster Oven
Bulk Up Salads And Grain Bowls
WINTER LAYERED SALAD WITH BEETS AND BRUSSELS SPROUTS Food Network Kitchen Walnuts, Barley, Pink Grapefruit, Red Wine Vinegar, Shallot, Honey, Dijon Mustard, Olive Oil, Mesclun Mixed Greens, Brussels Sprouts, Beets, Pomegranate Seeds,WINTER LAYERED SALAD WITH BEETS AND BRUSSELS SPROUTS Food Network Kitchen Walnuts, Barley, Pink Grapefruit, Red Wine Vinegar, Shallot, Honey, Dijon Mustard, Olive Oil, Mesclun Mixed Greens, Brussels Sprouts, Beets, Pomegranate Seeds
Matt Armendariz, 2014, Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved
Try combining roasted sprouts into substantial salads and hearty grain bowlswe especially love this Roasted Vegetable and Polenta Salad and this Spicy Quinoa Bowl with Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potatoes. Sub roasted sprouts in for recipes that call for raw preparations, like this Winter Layered Salad with Beets and Brussels Sprouts or this Brussels Sprouts Salad, featuring a medley of dried cranberries and blueberries, smoked almonds and shaved Manchego.
How To Roast Brussels Sprouts
Right this way for golden, crispy perfection.
Healthy Organic Baked Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta
Layla Khoury-Hanold is a contributor at Food Network.
Brussels sprouts are a polarizing veggie known for their bitter bent, but roasting them until theyre caramelized and crisp-tender is a surefire way to convert any haters. Brussels sprouts are a staple side at Thanksgiving in the U.S. however, this versatile autumn-winter veggie goes way beyond the holiday table, too. Read on to get our top tips for perfect roasted Brussels sprouts, plus our favorite classic and unexpected ways to use Brussels sprouts.
Recommended Reading: Wall Oven And Microwave Cabinet
How Long Do You Roast Brussel Sprouts
It depends on the size of your Brussel sprouts and the power of your oven. But roughly, if you roast Brussel sprouts in the oven at 400°F, you will bake them for 20-30 minutes.
They are ready to eat when the Brussel sprouts are lightly charred, toasted on the bottom, crisp on the outside, and tender on the inside. Also, its very possible that the leaves that are loose will be very brown and crispy.