Try These Shortcuts To Reduce The Prep And Cooking Time
Tips For The Best Roast Chicken Recipe
- Bring the chicken to room temperature for about 30 minutes before roasting in order to ensure even cooking.
- For the crispiest skin, make sure that your chicken is very dry before roasting.
- Cooking time will vary depending on the total weight of your chicken. Always use a meat thermometer to test the internal temperature of the meat to know when its done.
- Truss the chicken. This only takes a minute or two, but tying together the chicken legs with twine and tucking the wings underneath helps the chicken cook evenly.
- Season liberally. Dont be shy with the salt and pepper. This is a big piece of meat, so you want to add plenty of flavor by using enough seasoning both inside and outside the bird.
- For the juiciest meat, allow the chicken to rest for at least 10-15 minutes before carving.
- Dont omit the butter. The butter on the outside helps to make sure that the exterior is perfectly crispy and golden brown, and it also adds great flavor.
- Use additional fresh herbs as a garnish just before serving.
What To Serve With Dutch
This chicken dish can be served on its own, or a few extra sides. If youre hosting a large party, pair it with other flavor-packed chicken breast recipes.
Spoon the chicken and vegetables over fresh bread and serve with a side salad. Try toasting slices of fresh French loaves and tossing this light strawberry spinach salad for a relaxed dinner party. For summer months, learn how to grill chicken breast for an outdoor gathering.
Don’t Miss: Ninja Air Fryer Oven Xl
Dutch Oven Chicken And Dumplings
This Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings recipe is the ultimate comfort food, with a healthy classic chicken soup base and fluffy, herb-filled dumplings that make the soup creamy without using heavy cream. Hello, cold nights!
Worn Slap Out, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Each of your purchases via Amazon links supports Worn Slap Out at no additional cost to you.
This is definitely the week to be hibernating. It was 5F this week with wind chills that make it even colder, and all I want to do is sit by the fire and dethaw like a turkey. It’s also the time of year I crave comfort food. Salads are only so comforting on cold winter nights. You want something substantial and warm. This chicken and dumplings recipe is an old Southern favorite — but it’s made healthier with no cream. Read on!
Tuscan Chicken With Penne
Total time: 25 minutes
Its interesting how you only need to add one more ingredient to a dish to create a new one. By adding pasta to the Tuscan chicken, you now have a meal of Tuscan chicken with some penne.
However, there is much more to it than just the pasta. This recipe is simpler to make compared to the previous one. It will only take around 20 minutes to whip up an inviting dish of Tuscan chicken and penne.
In addition to that, this variation also includes some heavy cream. This ingredient will give the dish that creamy and smooth sensation it needs. And creamy chicken pasta is perfect since the chicken itself can sometimes get dry and rubbery.
Also Check: Ooni Pizza Oven Discount Code
Storage And Reheating Tips
- Store any leftovers in the fridge in a covered food storage container. You can keep leftovers in the fridge for 3 – 4 days.
- If you want to keep leftovers for a longer time period, store them in the freezer for 3 – 4 months. The potatoes will be a little soft after coming out of the freezer, but they will still taste good!
- Wondering what’s the best way to reheat leftover Dutch oven chicken and potatoes? My favorite way is to place them into a pan with a lid and warm them gently on the stove, stirring occasionally, until heated through. If you need a little more moisture, add a splash of broth or water. You can even use the same Dutch oven as before to reheat the leftovers!
- For best results in reheating leftovers from the freezer, first let them thaw in the fridge overnight.
- If you want to use the microwave to reheat a single serving, cut the chicken into slices or bite-sized pieces first. This will help the chicken heat more quickly and evenly than if you try to microwave an entire chicken breast!
Pairings And Serving Ideas
If youre looking to add a few side dishes, aside from the roasted veggies, my go-to side dish for this Dutch oven whole chicken recipe is this simple buttered noodles recipe. Its super easy to make and takes only 15 minutes. You can even make it ahead!
Other great side dishes that you can make for this recipe:
- Easy Garlic Buttered Noodles
- White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Maple Glaze
- Roasted Broccoli with Parmesan and Lemon
You May Like: Kitchenaid Oven/microwave Combo Troubleshooting
What Should I Serve With Dutch Oven Chicken
Roast chicken tastes great on its own, but its even better when served with the perfect side. Most vegetables pair well with chicken, but side dishes containing spinach, broccoli, carrots, corn or Brussels sprouts work particularly well. We also love serving chicken with potatoes: mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, scalloped potatoes, fried potatoesyou name a potato cooking method, and it will probably taste great.
When it comes to starches, most of them work well. Whip up a creamy polenta, a complex rice pilaf or go simple with rolls or cornbread. Check out our favorite sides for chicken if you need more inspiration.
Still hungry? Find more roast chicken ideas.
Dutch Oven Cooking Tips
- If you want to retain liquid, keep the lid on. If you want some liquid to evaporate, leave the lid off.
- The Dutch Oven is a perfect way to have a one pot recipe! Any necessary searing can be done on the stovetop, and the rest of the cooking can be done in the oven.
- Always use oven mitts, especially for the lid handle as it gets hot.
- Keep on your stovetop for easy access OR stored on a sturdy shelf, as it is a very heavy piece of equipment!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Chicken Legs In The Oven
Spanish Chicken With Chorizo And Potato
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Indulge yourself in this delicious recipe for Spanish chicken. This is a dish perfect for anyone who prefers their chicken in a rich tomato sauce with a hint of paprika. Whats special about this recipe is that you also have some chorizo and potato to pair with your Spanish chicken.
This recipe will get you addicted to its flavorful sauce. The aromatic garlic, onions, and herbs are what make the fragrance of the sauce. Meanwhile, you have all the juiciness and flavors coming from the chorizo and chicken that thickens the sauce and turns it into a gravy.
Two other ingredients that I cannot overlook are the potatoes and the butter beans. By its name, you can already tell how soft the beans are going to be. Then, combining these beans with the starchy potatoes will bring you a fulfilling pot of chicken stew to last for a couple of meals.
How To Use Leftover Roast Chicken#
Wondering what to do with leftover cooked chicken? My go-to is to dice it and toss it in some green salad for lunch or as a sandwich filling. When I want a filling for breakfast, I add some diced chicken to my omelet with some vegetables.If the leftover is about 2 cups, I add it to pasta recipes such as Boursin pasta, pink sauce pasta, creamy bacon pasta, and more.
Also Check: How Long Do You Bake Asparagus In The Oven
Why Does Chicken Skin Stick To The Dutch Oven
When youre browning the chicken thighs, the chicken skin can stick to the Dutch oven if the pan isnt hot enough. Make sure you let the oil preheat in the pan for a few minutes before adding the chicken. Its also possible that you didnt add enough oil to the pan. If youve already started cooking when you discover these issues, increase the heat and add an extra splash of oil to the pot. Let the chicken sit for another minute or so to see if it will release naturally before trying to force it up.
Its also important to let the chicken skin sit, undisturbed, for at least 5 minutes before trying to flip it. If you try to flip it earlier, the fat under the chicken skin wont have a chance to render out, causing the skin to stick.
How To Freeze Chipotle Chicken Chowder
Given the simplicity of this recipe, make a big batch and freeze it for future meals. Whip it out on a night when you cant bear to cook.
To freeze the chowder: Allow the chowder to cool completely, then carefully ladle it into lidded containers, making sure to leave an inch of air at the top since the chowder will expand as it freezes. Itâll keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat the chowder: Reheating frozen chowder is as simple as bringing it to a gentle simmer on the stove over low heat or allowing it to thaw completely in the fridge before microwaving individual portions.
Simply Recipes / Ross Yoder
Donât Miss: Nonna Maria Brick Oven Pizza
Also Check: Outdoor Fireplace Kits With Pizza Oven
How To Make The Best Dutch Oven Whole Roast Chicken
First, pat dry the whole chicken completely with a paper towel before adding seasoning. This helps achieve an extra crispy skin when roasting.
Then, prepare the seasoning mixture by combining olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Generously smear the seasoning mixture over the whole chicken inside and out, including the inside cavity of the chicken.
Stuff the cavity of the chicken with half the apples, half of the onion, and half of the garlic.Next, truss the chicken by tying the chicken snugly with kitchen string so that the wings and legs stay close to the body. This helps cook the whole chicken evenly.
Then prepare the vegetables by tossing together lemon juice, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and remaining vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
Spread the vegetables evenly on the bottom of the Dutch oven and place the whole chicken on top. Make sure the breasts of the chicken face upward. Brush the outside of the chicken evenly with the remaining tablespoon of melted butter. Cover the lid and roast the chicken for 30 minutes in a preheated 400 F oven.
Remove the lid and continue to cook for another 20-25 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165F. You can check the internal temperature by sticking a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast.
Pro tip: To make chicken skins extra crispy and browned, turn the broiler on to high and broil for another 3-5 minutes.
If You Dont Have A Dutch Oven
You can easily make this recipe in a large casserole dish or roasting pan using the same method!
Or, you can use your slow cooker. Just keep in mind, you wont have any crispy skin if you do this. Slather the chicken in the butter mixture, and set on top of onions in your slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on high.
Donât Miss: Bbq Pork Chops In The Oven Recipe
Read Also: Bosch Gas Stove And Oven
Dutch Oven Chicken Thighs With Lemon And Sage Butter Sauce
The focus of many chicken Dutch oven recipes is indeed the chicken as is the case here! The thighs bone-in are braised by simmering on low in a lemon butter sauce with garlic and sage.They are coated in a flour and spice mix and browned in oil on both sides. Remove and make a sauce of butter, minced garlic, sage, lemon juice, and water. Put thighs back in and scatter lemon slices around the pan for baking!
How To Make Homemade Southern Dumplings
The best part of this soup is definitely the dumplings. They are so hearty, full of fresh herbs, and thicken the soup to make it more “stew-like,” which is the quintessential consistency to this Southern delicacy.
To make the dumplings, simply combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the melted butter and milk and mix with a fork until you no longer see any of the dry mixture. The dough will be a little thick.
The dumpling part of this meal is incredibly easy to throw together in less than 5 minutes. You can prep the dumpling dough while the soup is simmering so you’re not wasting any time.
When you’re soup is ready for you to add the dumplings, you’ll use a spoon or cookie scoop to form no more than ¾” balls of dough. Drop the balls of dough right into the soup, put the cover on, and let the dumplings cook for 10-12 minutes.
Test the dumplings by taking one out and cutting into it. If it’s still doughy in the center, cook the dumplings for a couple minutes longer.
Also Check: Ge Quartz Convection Toaster Oven
Tips For Best Results
- Crispy skin. Patting the chicken skin dry will ensure that the skin will come out perfectly crispy.
- More flavor. Dont forget to rub the butter/seasoning mixture under the breast skin and inside the cavity, so the meat will absorb more flavor.
- Juicy meat. When the chicken is cooked and reached the safe temperature, take it out of the oven and let sit on the counter for at least 10 minutes. This way, will will have enough time to redistribute the juices and keep the meat moist.
- Even cooking. To make sure the meat is cooked evenly, I take the chicken out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for at least 20 minutes to get to the room temperature.
Dutch Oven Chicken Breast Ingredients
The ingredients you need to make this recipe are super easy and common, and many of them are pantry items you likely already have on hand! For the fresh ingredients youll need chicken breasts, a yellow onion, carrots, celery, garlic, white mushrooms and fresh parsley, which is optional for serving.
The remaining items are all pantry or shelf-stable ingredients. For those you will need a few spices such as dried thyme, onion powder and dried parsley. Youll also need chicken broth and flour and cream for thickening. For the flour, you can use regular wheat flour, or, for Whole30 or gluten-free, you can use arrowroot flour . For the cream, in place of heavy cream or half and half, you can use the thick pulp from a can of coconut cream to keep the dutch oven chicken breast Whole30 and dairy-free.
All the ingredients that are needed to make this recipe are easily found at major grocery stores. The pantry items such as broth, flours and cream options listed are widely available online from retailers such as Amazon or for a discount from Thrive Market.
Read Also: Double Oven Induction Range Slide In
Don’t Miss: Ge Air Fryer Oven Reviews
How Long To Cook The Chicken Breasts In The Dutch Oven
- After browning, the chicken breasts should take roughly about 15 – 18 minutes in the oven to reach the target temperature of 165 degrees F. But, the exact amount of time needed will vary based on how large the chicken breasts are, and on your own unique oven.
- The most accurate way to ensure the chicken breasts are cooked to the target temperature is to use an instant read thermometer. Make sure you probe the chicken at the thickest part. If you don’t have one, you can cut open the thickest chicken breast and make sure it is white all the way through.
- This would also be a great time to use an oven-safe alarm thermometer, shown below. This is a special type of thermometer probe that you can insert into the chicken before placing it in the oven. You can place the lid right on top of the wire. The display is kept outside the oven, which will beep when the food reaches your target temperature.
- This is the same thermometer I used for my baked BBQ chicken thighs recipe. This is a great tool to use because you don’t have to keep checking on the chicken, and really helps eliminate the risk of overcooking the chicken!
Why Roast Chicken In A Dutch Oven
- Keeps the chicken moist! A 5-pound chicken cooks in a covered Dutch oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, so the chicken roasts in a moist environment for juicy and moist results.
- Creates crispy skin without burning: As it cooks in the covered pot, the skin starts to brown without burning too fast. During the last 30 minutes, it roasts uncovered to attain that beautiful crispy and golden brown skin.
- Even cooking: Dutch ovens retain heat evenly, so the chicken will cook properly throughout.
- You can make a one-pot meal: Simply add a bed of vegetables, and dinner will be all set!
Read Also: Chicken In Dutch Oven Recipes