This Honey Garlic Butter Salmon In Foil Recipe Is An Easy Dinner To Throw Together On Your Busy Weeknights Or Weekends
A delicious 4-ingredient honey garlic butter sauce is baked with a whole side of salmon, wrapped in foil, baked and broiled for that extra golden, crispy, caramelised and flakey finish! The BEST Salmon In Foil IS RIGHT HERE! So simple with minimal mess to clean up!
Honey AND garlic butter all mixed together is one thing, but smearing it on a good side of salmon is something else! Baking it in its own foil packet makes it so juicy and tender, it falls apart on its own. Your new favourite salmon recipe is here!
Easy Baked Salmon In Foil
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Baked salmon in foil is a moist, flavorful, and flaky whole side of salmon infused with lemon garlic butter sauce. It makes a nice centerpiece for your holiday dinner table, and its also perfect to make for dinner without a special occasion. Salmon in foil is healthy, easy, and ready in under half an hour!
- Pin This Recipe For Later!
How Long Do You Bake Salmon
For a large whole side of salmon, bake for 15-20 minutes in total, then place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes to get a crispy top and nicer color.
The cooking time depends on the thickness of your salmon and the desired doneness of the fish. But I usually check the internal temperature of the thickest part of the salmon and know its ready when it reaches 125°F/52°C , or 145°F/63°C .
Another way to check for doneness is when the salmon can be easily flaked by a fork, but be careful not to overcook the fish as theres nothing worse than dry tough salmon.
You May Like: How To Cook Steak In Air Fryer Toaster Oven
How Do I Store And Reheat Salmon
Leftovers Transfer leftover salmon to an airtight glass container and keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Or, portion them out into meal prep containers to have for lunches throughout the week. Alternatively, see the recipes listed down below to see what you can make with leftover salmon before storing it!
Freezer You can freeze cooked salmon by placing completely cooled salmon in an airtight freezer-friendly container or freezer bags. Keep in the freezer for up to 4 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Reheating You can heat the leftover salmon in the microwave. Add a splash of water if youre worried it will dry out. You can also reheat this on the stovetop. Add some olive oil to a hot pan and add the salmon to it. Cook until heated through.
Baked Salmon In Foil Ingredients
The ingredients in this dish are simple yet packed full of flavor! Each seasoning helps highlight the salmon, not cover up its delicate flavor, so that you can savor the fresh taste.
- Salmon You can use fresh, or frozen just make sure you thaw the salmon in your fridge or under cold water first. Its also up to you whether you use wild-caught or farm-raised salmon though they cook slightly differently.
- Olive Oil A fantastic cooking oil and I love extra virgin olive oil . You wont be using much of it, so it can be substituted with whatever you have on hand.
- Lemon Adds bright, delicious flavor to the salmon. The slices of lemon permeate the fish with citrus notes.
- Unsalted Butter Keeps the salmon moist and juicy. Use your favorite brand, but for a richer flavor, use a European butter.
- Garlic Finely minced to spread that classic, savory taste evenly across the fish. You can use store-bought minced garlic, too, but garlic powder wont provide the same fresh flavor.
- Salt and Pepper A must for any dish! Salt and pepper highlight all of the amazing flavors!
*Be sure to see the recipe card below for ingredients, amounts & instructions!*
Recommended Reading: Easy Oven Mac And Cheese
How Do You Bake Salmon In Foil Easy
- The first step is to get a baking sheet or tray with 1-inch high sides. Even though youre wrapping your salmon tightly in foil, you will need a baking sheet with sides just in case there is any leakage.
- I use two sheets of foil when wrapping my salmon to ensure it completely wraps around the width of the fillet.
- Once your sauce is done, drizzle it all over your fillet. THEN use a brush or spatula to get the sauce covering the entire fillet for those beautiful flavours to cook right through this fish, resulting in an incredible sweet, garlicky and salty flavour.
- Season your salmon with a little extra salt and pepper, then wrap your salmon tightly, sealing the edges together to create a perfect seal to prevent any sauce seeping through any gaps. You want your sauce to STAY in your fish, right?
Substitutions For Oven Baked Salmon
- Salmon: Any fish will work in this recipe. Some of my favorites are Halibut, Cod, Artic Char, or Dover Sole.
- Butter: You can make compound butter with Ghee. Let soften slightly and mix all ingredients. Place on a sheet of parchment paper and shape into a log. Place into the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use.
- Asparagus: Broccoli, green beans, baby potatoes, and brussels sprouts are great options.
- Parsley: Cilantro, chives, and tarragon all pair well with salmon.
- Foil: Parchment paper is a great way to cook fish. Take a large sheet of parchment paper and wrap salmon and veggies into a enclosed packet. In France, they call this En Papillote, click this link for detailed instructions.
- Whole 30: Omit butter and use Ghee.
Recommended Reading: Bake Chicken Legs In The Oven
Need Some Family Meal Ideas
Check out our meal planning here its filled with recipes, meal planner tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. Weve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
You might also just love our quick prawn salad recipe here
Amount Per Serving:
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring – this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate – you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Salmon Baked In Foil Recipe
The dog days of summer call for a meal thats light, fast, and delicious. My Baked Salmon in Foil is perfect! Salmon is a healthy and versatile protein, and this method showcases the fresh taste of the fish, while keeping it moist.
Were right in the middle of salmon season, so now is the best time for fresh, wild-caught fish! Not to worry, though, if you prefer farm-raised or can only get frozen salmon! This main will be delicious no matter what you use.
Addictive, rich, and tasty baked salmon that the whole family will love!
Hungry for Salmon? Why not try my salmon in white wine sauce, pan-seared salmon, or my amazing crab stuffed salmon!
Also Check: Ninja Foodi Air Fry Oven Recipes
Honey Garlic Salmon Baked In Foil
This is one of the best recipes for salmon baked in foil! The honey garlic marinade tastes so good and the entire dish only needs 5 ingredients. Well glaze the fish with a delicious mix of honey, soy sauce and fresh garlic. Then, wrap it in foil and baked in the oven, which only takes around 15 minutes. So easy!
This is a great Asian inspired dinner. Serve it with your favorite healthy sides for and easy family meal you can make in a pinch!
Soy Ginger Salmonan Easy Recipe Everyone Loves
Aside from the few of my mothers unsuccessful attempts to persuade us to eat tuna noodle casserole or fish sticks, we ate very little fish growing up.
Even if you had told me as recently as two years ago that Id start making salmon for dinner at least once a week, I probably would not have believed you.
Fast forward to today: Baked Salmon in Foil and Grilled Salmon in Foil make regular appearances in our home, especially if Im hosting a party or want yummy, healthy leftovers.
Ben loves these particular salmon dishes so much that when I told him I was going to make a new salmon recipe with an Asian spin, I thought there might be mutiny.
Guess which version is his favorite now?
When Im looking to cook smaller portions of fish or if Im craving a fresh twist, todays Soy Ginger Salmon is my pick.
- Its filling, lively, and the chili soy garlic sauce will dance on your taste buds .
- You can use this recipe to cook as many or as few fillets as you like, so its simple to scale to suit one, two, or a few.
Also Check: Le Creuset 5.5 Dutch Oven Sale
How To Know When Salmon Is Done Baking
- The question that scares so many newbies to fish cooking! Here are the best tips to tell when your salmon is done.
- You can check for doneness by taking a sharp knife and peeking into the thickest part of your baked salmon piece. If it is beginning to flake, but still has a little translucency in the middle, it is done, or once your salmon flakes easily with a fork, its done.
- Best option: Use an instant read thermometer like this one. The FDA recommends cooking fish to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- I find that salmon and other fish will continue to cook as they rest after being removed from the oven. I typically remove my salmon early , cover the salmon with foil, then let it rest for about 5 minutes. The resting time allows the fish to come up to 145 degrees F.
- Depending upon your cut of salmon, the fish will likely be pink when it is done and some varieties like coho are naturally a very deep, almost ruby pink. They key is that it is opaque and flakes easily. If its a translucent-looking pink, its likely not done. Again, testing with an instant read thermometer will remove any doubts.
How To Bake Salmon In The Oven
Now that you know how to choose the best salmon, its time to learn how long to bake salmon in oven. This method is simple and foolproof, so youll be able to make delicious baked salmon every time.
Heres what youll need:
- Salt and pepper
To start, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. This will help to prevent the salmon from sticking to the pan and make cleanup a breeze.
Next, place the salmon fillet on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over the top of the fish and season it with salt and pepper. If you like, you can also add fresh herbs for extra flavor.
Then, bake the salmon for 12-14 minutes, or until its cooked through. The exact cooking time will depend on the thickness of the fish, so be sure to use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. The salmon is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
Once the salmon is cooked through, remove it from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to redistribute, resulting in a moister and more flavorful piece of fish.
And thats all there is to it! Baked salmon is a quick and easy meal thats perfect for weeknight dinners. Serve it with your favorite sides and enjoy.
You May Like: 24 Inch In Wall Gas Oven
Why This Oven Baked Salmon In Foil Is So Good
- Chipotle spice – ½ teaspoon of chipotle powder add a bit of kick. Lemon and butter pair perfectly with a bit of heat.
- Compound Butter – a great way to flavor butter for a quick sauce. In this recipe, we use parsley, lemon, garlic, chipotle, salt, and pepper.
- Foil Boats – making a foil boat allows you to bake the salmon and asparagus together, collecting the sauce.
How To Bake Salmon In Foil Packets
- Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare sheets of aluminum foil, one per piece of salmon.
- Arrange salmon on foil. Season with salt and peppers.
- Place lemon slices and butter on top of each piece of fish.
- Bring the sides of foil together to make packets.
- Cook for 18 to 20 minutes in the oven.
- Once done, remove from the oven and baking sheet. Wait a few minutes until the packets are cooler and safer to handle.
- Serve with veggies, rice or pasta.
Read Also: Convection Microwave Over The Range Oven
How Long To Bake Salmon At 425 In Foil
Salmon is a tasty, healthful, and simple protein thats ideal for a fast evening supper. But how long should you bake salmon at 425 degrees in foill? This issue may be difficult to answer since the baking time can vary based on the size and thickness of your fish filet.
However, with a little help, you can quickly estimate how long to bake salmon at 425 degrees in your oven. In this blog article, well show you how to cook salmon precisely every time. So keep reading our blot at Pontbreauxscajunrestaurant to find out all you need to know about baking salmon at 425 degrees!
How To Tell When Salmon Is Finished Cooking
The eternal question! The greatest of salmon crimes is overcooking.
- As this Salmon Temperature Guide outlines, the best way to tell if salmon is done is to use an instant read thermometer like this one. Remove the salmon at 135 degrees F, then let it rest.
- The FDA recommends cooking salmon to 145 degrees F, but its temperature will continue to rise as it rests.
- If you dont have a meat thermometer, you can check for doneness by taking a sharp knife and peeking into the thickest part of your salmon. If it is beginning to flake, but still has a little translucency in the middle, it is done.
- If your piece is thinner check several minutes early to ensure your salmon does not overcook. If your piece is very thick , it may need longer.
Also Check: Conveyor Pizza Oven For Sale
Simple Salmon Baked In Foil
Salmon baked in foil is super easy to cook for a healthy weeknight family dinner. Delicious served with couscous or herby diced potatoes and a big garden salad
Simple salmon fillets baked in foil is so easy to make and best of all theres no pan to wash!
The baked salmon foil parcels are so quick to put together and theyre quick to cook.
Plus you can flavour up the salmon with different tasty combinations of herbs and spices and you can take it in any direction you like. Its one of my favourite easy salmon recipes.
What Temperature Do You Grill Salmon In Foil
If you are using charcoal you will want to light and wait until they turn grey so the flames arent still rising. For one that has a temperature gauge youd still want to follow the same directions as below, so 350 would be ideal. Make foil pack the same way but closed at the top so it steams.
Looking for other ways of cooking salmon youll be obsessed with after giving this a 5 star rating? Try air fryer frozen salmon or frozen salmon in Instant Pot too. Both of those are done in under 20 minutes. Just use a bit of olive oil or a pat of butter on top, steam and serve.
Also Check: Air Fryer Tray For Lg Oven
How To Choose The Best Salmon
The first step in making perfect baked salmon is to select the right cut of fish. Salmon is available in a variety of cuts, including fillets, steaks, and whole fish. For baking, we recommend using a fillet because its easy to portion and cook evenly. You can ask your fishmonger to cut a fillet for you, or you can purchase one thats already been cut.
When choosing a salmon fillet, look for a cut thats about 1-inch thick and 6-8 ounces in size. You can also use a larger fillet, but it will take longer to cook through. If youre feeding a crowd, we recommend cooking two smaller fillets instead of one large one.
In terms of salmon quality, youll want to look for wild-caught salmon thats fresh or frozen. Wild-caught salmon is the best option because its more sustainable and has a higher nutritional value than farmed salmon. Fresh salmon is ideal, but if you cant find it, frozen salmon will work just as well.
When selecting a frozen salmon fillet, look for one thats been individually wrapped and is free of ice crystals. Avoid any salmon that looks discolored or has freezer burn.
How Long Does It Take To Grill Salmon In A Foil Packet
If you are taking this on a camping trip it will take about the same amount of time. Of course it depends on how hot your grill or campfire is but typically youre still looking at about 15 minutes. You will need to enclose the whole thing unless you have a grate to set them on. Steaming salmon in foil is totally fine too, just wont get browned on top.
Also Check: Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner
Add Butter Garlic And Seasonings
- For grilled salmon, Ive been loving the flavor of melted butter. Two tablespoons are all you need for a full 1 ½ pounds of fish. Worth it!
- If you prefer not to use butter or need the grilled salmon in foil dairy free, you can use olive oil or another cooking oil of choice.
- For seasonings, I like minced fresh garlic, along with plenty of kosher salt and black pepper.
- Be generous with the salt and pepper! The more fish you have, the more you need.
- Place more herbs and citrus on top.