Can You Cook Salmon On A Cedar Plank In The Oven
Yes salmon can absolutely be cooked on a Cedar plank in the oven. There are some technique differences between oven-planking and grill-planking.
We grill up a lot of Cedar planked salmon around here, but today we want to share our technique about getting the same kind of results from cooking with planks in the oven. Whether youre an apartment-dweller without an outdoor space or are just trying to stay out of bad weather, this is a great way to get the fresh wood flavor of Cedar in your own kitchen.
There are some factors that should be considered when oven planking to help you get maximum flavor out of your grilling plank.
How To Make Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon
- Prep the cedar planks. First, submerge the cedar planks in room temperature water for about 2-4 hours.
- Season the salmon fillets. Drizzle olive oil over each fillet, then spread a little bit of pressed garlic on top. Combine the cumin, chili powder, and salt in a small prep bowl and sprinkle it over the salmon fillets.
- Grill. Now place the seasoned salmon fillets on each soaked cedar plank, skin side down. Then grill them for 15-20 minutes at 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve with chimichurri sauce.
How To Cook Cedar Plank Salmon On The Grill
So you dont HAVE to grill this salmon recipe on a cedar plank But its certainly a fun and different way to cook fish, as well as being one of the easiest ways to prepare it. My kids were so curious to try it!
Be sure to use an untreated cedar plank for grilling. Ive seen them on clearance at almost all of the grocery and hardware stores Ive visited lately, so this is the perfect time of year to give it a try for cheap.
It does add a distinct cedar flavor to your salmon, so if you find its not for you, just use a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil next time and decrease the grilling time slightly.
Want to learn how to cook cedar plank salmon on the grill? Theres really just two things you need to know: 1) Be sure to soak your cedar plank in water for at least an hour before grilling to prevent it from going up in flames. And 2) After soaking it, pat it dry, and then brush the side that youre going to place the salmon fillet on with a little olive oil to prevent it from sticking.
BTW, this cedar planked grilled salmon technique will work on both a gas grill or a charcoal grill. Both will produce delicious salmon thats perfectly cooked. This really is the best salmon recipe for the summer months!
AND it will even work in the oven if you want to make baked cedar plank salmon during the colder winter months. Check the notes in the recipe card for instructions on how to make cedar plank salmon in the oven.
Read Also: Cooking Chicken Drumsticks In Oven
Brining The Salmon Before Oven Baking
If youd like to see less of the white protein that naturally appears on the surface of the cooked salmon, you can reduce it by brining the salmon in a solution of water and salt. Combine 2 tablespoons of salt with 2 cups of water and submerge the salmon fillets for 10 minutes, then pat dry. The saltwater will gently break down some of the external muscle fibers, preventing them from squeezing out protein as the salmon contracts during the cooking process.
Fresh salmon fillets, ready to brine
How To Prep Ahead
In addition to soaking the planks ahead of time, you can also:: Make the marinade ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Store the marinating salmon up to 4 hours ahead of time in the refrigerator. Dont leave the salmon in the marinade for more than 4 hours otherwise the acidic marinade will break down the muscle fibers.
Recommended Reading: Wall Oven And Microwave Cabinet
Cedar Plank Salmon In The Oven
Impress your friends and family with this cedar plank salmon that is made in the oven. Coated in a coconut crust and seasoned to perfection this salmon cooks directly on a cedar plank straight in the oven. Top it off with a homemade mango salsa and you got yourself a winner.
Cedar plank salmon can be made directly in the oven, no more brunt up planks on the grill. Lets dive right into this delicious recipe.
This recipe has me feeling all the feels today. Plans for a trip with my hubby to visit the Caribbean this spring have been halted because of Rona. Like so many people, this darn pandemic has canceled a lot of our plans.
Can it just end, please?! Seriously, I think were all ready to mingle and hug every person we see and get back to backyard BBQs and date nights. I know I am.
Ive had this trip planned since we had to cancel our vacation to Thailand because of illness. This was supposed to be part relaxing and rejuvenating and part thrilling. Zip-lining in a tropical forest? Sounds like so much fun! Snorkeling in the beautiful blue ocean? Amazing! Dinner on the Caribbean beach? Every night? Yes, yes, and yes!
Alas, Im forced to bring the tropics inside my home and will have to plan for a different getaway in the unforeseeable future. As the saying goes, Third times the charm. Ive got my fingers and toes crossed that its true!
What I Love About This Recipe:
- Restaurant quality flavor without the price tag.
- That glaze: The combination of mustard and brown sugar flavors in the salmon is amazing, especially combined with the woodsy and smoke flavors from the grilled cedar plank.
- Easy: Soak the cedar boards and then you only have 5 minutes of prep and 20 minutes of cook time!
Also Check: Cooking Chicken Wings In Oven
How To Cook Salmon On A Cedar Plank
This Thai sweet chili salmon on cedar plank is super simple and requires only four steps!
- Soak the cedar planks: Soak them for at least one hour. I usually do this in my kitchen sink using a few inches of cold water and a couple of heavy glasses to weigh them down.
- Prepare the Thai sweet chili glaze: Simply follow this Thai chili sauce Its super simple to make by combining all the ingredients in a small pot and simmering for 10 minutes. If your grill has a side burner, you can cook the entire dish outside.
- Begin grilling the salmon: Preheat the grill to medium-high heat . Then place the salmon fillet on the cedar plank and brush with about ¼ cup of the Thai sweet chili and grill, covered, for around 10 minutes.
- Glaze the salmon: With the remaining sauce , then cover and grill for a further 10 minutes or until cooked to your preferred level.
How To Bake Salmon On A Cedar Plank In An Oven
- 1dashBlack Pepper
Read Also: How To Cook Steak In The Oven
What Is Cedar Plank Salmon
Cedar plank grilling is a traditional cooking method that originated in the American Pacific Northwest. The meat is grilled directly on a water-soaked and heated plank of cedarwood.
The wood itself gets hot , but doesnt burn up. Instead, the steam coming off the cedar infuses into the tender meat.
As a result, youâll get a subtle woody flavor and smoky aroma that melds with the meats natural flavors to create something distinct and delicious. And all that steam helps keep your food moist and tender.
Cedar plank barbecues are versatile, working equally well with seafood , poultry, or red meats in general. Most meats are great candidates for plank-style grilling.
Cedar plank grilling has been a classic way to add flavors and create complexity in otherwise ordinary dishes. And as grilling goes, its an easy-going method that allows a chef to get creative with their favorite food.
We decided to take a slightly different tack for our recipe. Not everyone has a barbecue grill, after all.
So rather than cooking on a traditional grill, we will be doing ours in the oven. That way, even if you live in a small apartment, you can still enjoy this classic smoky recipe!
Also, if youâre looking for a baked salmon with both an extra kick of cheese and a smoky crunchy exterior, check out this parmesan crusted salmon recipe.
Do You Have To Soak The Cedar Planks
Yes, for best flavor you should soak the cedar planks at least 15 minutes in hot water before using. There seems to be a lot of debate about soaking time, some say up to 2 hours but I find 15-30 minutes is really all you need as long as you use hot water. For more info about soaking, read this fascinating post.
This recipe is so easy especially if you already have my Homemade Chipotle Seasoning on hand!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Kale In Oven
Cedar Plank Salmon Details
Like most of my grilled recipes, this cedar plank salmon recipe is very simple. As I always say, the grill adds a delicious flavor that ovens cant seem to beat.
- Taste- The smoky flavor from the grill and the earthy, woodsy notes that are absorbed from the cedar plank make this salmon recipe irresistible.
- Texture- The fillets are moist and flaky, having absorbed moisture from the soaked planks along with flavor.
- Ease- This recipe is nice and simple, with only a few ingredients and an easy clean-up since the cooking is done on the plank.
- Time- Cedar plank salmon takes less than 30 minutes to make!
How Long To Grill Salmon On Cedar Plank
Lay each of your salmon fillets skin side down on the oiled face of a soaked plank. Brush the fillets with olive oil and press the brown sugar salmon rub all over the top. Lay the cedar planks directly on the hot grill grates. Cover grill and cook over indirect medium-high heat for about 15 minutes.
Salmon cooks quickly, so check frequently to see if its cooked through and flakes easily as you get close to the 15-minute mark. If you prefer to use the internal temperature as your guide, salmon is cooked through when it reaches 145 degrees internally in the thickest part of the fish.
When its done, you can serve this flaky salmon right on the cedar plank or transfer it to a platter! A few lemon slices on the side are always a nice touch.
You May Like: Stove With Double Oven Gas
Don’t Miss: Best Microwave Convection Oven Combo
Oven Roasted Cedar Planked Salmon
Sometimes, firing up the grill just isnt in the cards. Cedar planked salmon works beautifully in your oven too!
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Salmon fillet, skin on
- 1 Lemon, sliced
- Fresh Herbs Parsley or Dill
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
Making two fillets of salmon takes the same time and effort as making one. Why not double up and enjoy the leftovers for lunch the next day?!
What Side Dishes To Serve With Salmon
- Potatoes- Mashed potatoes and Scalloped potatoes taste amazing with this flaky fish dish.
- Cold salad- Pasta salad and Carrot salad are cool, flavorful additions to the meal.
- Vegetables- I love greens like Garlic asparagus and Crispy Air Fryer Broccoli with salmon.
- Pasta or grains- For a tasty pasta side, serve this Four cheese ravioli, or this Mediterranean quinoa salad for a lighter option.
You May Like: Le Creuset 5.5 Dutch Oven Sale
How To Cook A Cedar Plank Salmon In The Oven
Cedar plank salmon makes a great addition to a meal. It is a tasty, healthy fish, rich in fatty acids and other nutrients. It also provides a whole bunch of protein, with little of the cholesterol that youd find in beef or pork.
It can be a little bland, though, and if eaten on a regular basis it gets repetitive and boring. There are, however, some ways to improve the flavor of salmon and keep it interesting. One of the best ways is roasting or baking on a cedar plank in the oven.
Why I Choose Wild Alaskan Salmon
Of course, I recommend starting with Alaskan salmon because all Alaska salmon is wild caught, never farmed.
Why is this so important to me? Wild salmon is higher in omega-3s, lower in fat, and contains less toxins than farmed fish. So if I dont see it clearly labeled, I always verify that the salmon at my local grocery stores is Alaska salmon.
Like I did today when I didnt see it in the fresh fish caseAlaska salmon season is winding down, so its becoming harder to find it on display. But the butcher behind the counter was kind enough to point me in the direction of some bagged frozen Alaskan salmon.
This actually turned out to be really convenient, because the salmon fillets had all of the pin bones already removed. Not a huge deal, but definitely a nice perk!
NOTE: If youre looking for an excellent source for wild Alaskan salmon, I highly recommend ButcherBoxs high quality sustainably-harvested wild-caught Alaskan sockeye salmon!
Recommended Reading: Kitchen Aid Double Wall Oven
What Fish Is Good On Cedar Plank
Small whole fish like char, trout, walleye and bass are great to use on cedar planks due to their size, flavor and texture. They’re also easily found in lakes across the country. If you’re a fisherman looking for a new way to grill your catch of the day, this Epicurious recipe is a delicious choice.
Cedar Plank Salmon In The Oven:
If you dont have a grill, no problem cedar plank salmon is delicious cooked in the oven as well. You wont achieve the same smoky flavor you get from the grill but it will take up the woodsy flavor of the cedar plank. The preparation is the same but instead of using your grill, preheat your oven to 375 degrees and cook the salmon for about 15-25 minutes or until it easily flakes with a fork.
Read Also: How To Make Wings In The Oven
How Long Does Cedar Plank Salmon Last
This cedar plank salmon is best eaten within two days. If frozen, it can last up to 2 months.
Though soaking the plank may sound demanding, please set your mind at rest you can easily prepare it ahead of time.
If you expect to be pressed for time, soak the plank a few days in advance, seal it tightly in a plastic Ziploc, and put it in the fridge. Whenever youre ready to cook, simply bring it out and spend about 5 minutes preheating.
How To Tell If Salmon Is Cooked:
If you have ever order salmon at a nice restaurant, chances are they either asked you how done you like your salmon, or they simply brought it to you medium or medium rare. Great chefs feel that salmon is cooked perfectly when the salmon is flaky on the outside and has a soft and moist center .
- Watch the color of the fish: It will change from red, raw and translucent looking, to a light opaque pink.
- See if its flaky: Use a fork to gently test if the layers will flake away easily, or not. If they do, its ready. Its better to take it out too early, and have to return it to the oven for a minute or too, then to overcook it!
- Let it rest: Remove it from the heat to rest when its nearly finished cooking, keeping in mind it will continue to a cook a little as it rests on the hot cedar plank.
Don’t Miss: Breville Smart Oven Pizzaiolo Pizza Oven