What Sides Go With Sheet Pan Sausage Peppers And Onions
We love this Sausage, Peppers and Onions paired with a large green salad drizzled with this Simple House Salad Dressing. To stay gluten and grain free, you can spoon this easy sheet pan deliciousness over spaghetti squash. Or serve with Instant Pot Loaded Mashed Potatoes or plain white rice for a total comfort meal.
This can also be enjoyed with any hearty, ancient grain such as buckwheat, millet, rice, or even your favorite buttered pasta.
Sausage And Peppers In The Oven
Sausage and Peppers in the Oven is a simple yet flavorful one-pan dinner that is perfect for a busy weeknight. This dish is made with Italian sausage, bell peppers, and onions and then seasoned to perfection. You won’t regret making this simple meal.
Love this? Be sure to try the Old Fashioned Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe next!
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions
Sausage and peppers make a great dish for parties and pot lucks. Its simple to make a big batch ahead of time, giving you more time to spend with your guests.
To make ahead: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freezing Instructions: Freeze in an airtight, freezer-safe container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
To Reheat: Place the in an oven-safe dish and cover with aluminum foil to retain moisture. Gently reheat in the oven at 250°F/121°C until warmed through .
Recommended Reading: Baking Bread In The Oven
Making These Oven Baked Italian Sausage And Peppers
I used yellow and red peppers to make this but I have done it with green, as well. Any peppers will do, though and you can add in other veggies as well.
Today, it was onions, garlic, mushrooms and sliced celery with the peppers.
Start by browning the sausages in an oven proof saute pan on the stove over a medium high heat. You just want to get a bit of color to them and partially cook them to save on the oven time, but not cook them all the way through.
Remove and set them aside.
Put the onions, celery and pepper in the same pan and cook for a minute or two, to give them a nice char. Once again. Dont cook them until they are soft. Just stir them around until they get a bit of browning going on.
I didnt use any oil in the recipe, but did have a bottle of coconut oil spray that I used during each addition, just to keep the vegetables from sticking.
Stir in the mushrooms and garlic, cook for another minute. Look at that color and all those fresh flavors!
Stir in the diced tomatoes, basil, Italian seasonings, and salt and pepper. Give everything a really good stir and then lay the sausages over the top of the vegetables.
Place the whole pan in a preheated 375 º oven for about 20-25 minutes until the sausages are cooked through and the vegetables are nicely roasted. Easy peasy!
Tips For Preparing Sheet Pan Meals
Sheet pan dinners are the best way to make a lot of food at once with minimal clean-up! Who can say no to that? Below are a few bonus tips to make sheet pan dinners like this one part of your weekly meal routine.
Prep the VeggiesChopping the onions, garlic, and peppers ahead of time cuts down on cooking time. Refrigerate the veggies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Want to add broccoli or asparagus for extra veg? Go for it! You can make this meal all your own by including your familys favorite veggies in the sheet pan.
Assemble and RefrigerateDid you know you can assemble sheet pan meals and refrigerate them overnight before baking? Now you do, and this is the perfect recipe to begin. Slice the peppers and onions, toss them onto the sheet pan with the garlic, and top with the sausage. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Use those LeftoversThis part shouldnt be too hard since leftovers taste even better the next day in a sandwich or over a salad.
Recommended Reading: Hamilton Beach Air Fryer Toaster Oven Recipes
How To Make Sheet Pan Sausage And Peppers
Step 1: Prep the ingredients
To begin, slice bell peppers into thin strips and cut the onion into half moon strips. Then, whisk together the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil in a small bowl.
Step 2: Prepare the sausages
Next, preheat your oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
Heat a frying pan over medium heat, lightly grease the pan, and sear the sausage links on each side. Dont skip this step! The oven baked Italian sausages will taste much better if they are first browned on the stovetop.
Step 3: Mix everything together
Then, toss the seared sausage, bell peppers, onions, herbs and spices together in a mixing bowl. Pour the tomato paste, balsamic, oil mixture into the bowl and toss again.
Step 4: Bake
Place the ingredients on a baking sheet and arrange so the sausages lay flat on the sheet.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. See post above for ideas on how to serve!
Make A Whole Dinner All On One Pan
This sheet pan sausage and peppers meal will be in my new frequent rotation for dinner. Sheet pan meals make weeknight dinner so easy and fast.
This one includes flavorful Italian sausage, veggies, and a nice herby sauce to go on top. It is also one of the easiest ways to cook Italian sausage perfectly!
And the best part of this sheet pan dinner? Depending on how many youre feeding, it makes plenty of leftovers.
I promise you will love how simple it is to bake sausages in the oven. Just toss the sausages, peppers, and onions in a simple sauce and bake!
You May Like: Outdoor Fireplace Kits With Pizza Oven
What Type Of Peppers And Onions Should I Use
I love giving this sheet pan dinner a burst of color, which is why I opt for colorful bell peppers and a red onion. Use an assortment of green, red, yellow, or orange bell peppers or pick up a bag or two of mini sweet peppers, which I love because they dont contain as many pesky seeds, so theyre even easier to prep.
Simply Recipes / Alison Bickel
What Other Protein Can I Use In Sausage Peppers And Onions Recipe
Although this recipe specifies Sausage,Peppers and Onions, it can also serve as a guide to endless variations usingdifferent proteins such as:
- Chicken breasts: slice large chicken breasts horizontally in half to create fillets cook20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Chicken tenderloins: cook for approximately 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Chopped chicken: chop chickeninto 1 1/2 chunks cook for approximately15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Shrimp: Roast for 4-6 minutes or just until shrimp is opaque.
Also Check: How To Use Ge Oven
The Baking Dish Matters
When you make Italian Sausage and Peppers in the oven, the dish you choose will make a big difference in the result!
The BEST dish for this recipe is a larger, more shallow dish like a 9×13 pyrex, rather than a smaller, deeper casserole dish.
The reason for this is that the large shallow dish provides more surface area to allow the meal to cook more quickly and evenly.
Equally important, a larger dish also gives the sausage a lot of room to spread out so it can brown and get that delicious crispy skin.
How To Cut A Bell Pepper Into Large Strips And With Little Waste
There are several ways to cut a bell pepper into strips. For this Sausage and Peppers recipe, I prefer to have them sized as I would for fajitas and stir frys . You’ll notice that peppers cut this way will have rounded ends where the stem and the bottom once connected.
This way, the peppers will retain some of the crunch after cooking since they are not cut into smaller strips.
Another reason why this works so well is because there is very little pepper to discard. When cutting the bell pepper into thin strips, you are often left with the top and the bottom portion of the bell pepper. This way, you are only discarding the stem and seeds .
Here’s how to cut a bell pepper into large strips:
Also Check: Ninja Foodi Air Fry Oven Recipes
What Is A Good Side Dish With Sausage And Peppers Recipe
Baked Sausage and Peppers is definitely the star of the show, but we love it with a supporting side dish or two such as a fresh green salad or crusty bread. Here are some of our favorite sides to serve with Sausage and Peppers to elevate it the next level:
- Bread: is the easiest side to add and perfect to mop up the leftover juices. Go simple with a side of crusty bread or were obsessed with my Garlic Bread recipe, Dinner Rolls, or Garlic Parmesan Butter Breadsticks.
- Comfort food: other comforting sides include Million Dollar Macaroni and Cheese, Slow Cooker Creamed Corn or Corn Casserole for the win.
How To Make The Recipe
This dish is indescribably comforting and satisfying. Heres the easy steps:
Recommended Reading: Cook Chicken In The Oven
Italian Sausage And Peppers Freezer Meal Instructions
This dish makes a fantastic freezer meal. It can be frozen both before and after cooking. To prepare this before cooking as a freezer meal:
Baked Sausage And Peppers Leftovers
If you find yourself with leftovers, this meal keeps beautifully to be enjoyed another day.
Simply let the leftovers cool, then package in meal sized portions in an airtight container and store in the:
- refrigerator for 3-4 days
- freezer up to 2 months
Reheat leftovers in the microwave or in a skillet on the stove.
Also Check: Is All Clad Oven Safe
What Youll Need To Make This Easy Baked Italian Sausage Recipe
You can get really creative with a dinner like this if you want. Today, were going to keep it simple so everything you need will be at your grocery store. For exact measurements check out the recipe card.
Sausage: Obviously the sausage is one of the main things youll need to make this baked Italian sausage recipe. I suggest using pork sausages with natural casings. Unlike Italian salumi which can be eaten without cooking because they are cured, these raw sausages are not cured and must be cooked before you eat them.
I usually use a mild Italian sausage made with ground pork, spices and fennel seeds.
Onions: You can use yellow onions or Spanish onions. Sometimes I like adding in a red onion for color.
Peppers: I like bell peppers for this recipe. You can use green peppers, but I suggest using red peppers, orange peppers and yellow peppers. They add so much color to the dish and are much sweeter.
White wine: You should use a white wine that is good enough to drink, but isnt too expensive. I usually keep a bottle of Pinot Grigio in my kitchen for cooking.
Tomato sauce: For this, feel free to make a simple tomato sauce or grab a jar of your favorite .
The Spices: You can spice things up with Kosher salt, black pepper, garlic salt and red pepper flakes.
Herbs: Fresh herbs are always better, but if you only have dry herbs, thats fine. Use things like parsley, basil, oregano or a good Italian seasoning mix if you have it.
Can I Use Other Sausage In Baked Sausage And Peppers
You may also use uncooked Italian sausagelinks but you will need to partially cook them before adding to the sheet pan. To cook:
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heatin a large heavy skillet.
- Brown the sausages on all sides.
- Add water 1 cup water, cover andsimmer 10-12 minutes.
- Remove, pat dry and use accordingto recipe directions. Note that thesausages wont be completely cooked at this point but will finish cooking inthe oven.
Recommended Reading: Electric Wall Oven Microwave Combo
Why We Love This Recipe
- This is a very adaptable dish and perfect for using up stray vegetables in the crisper before they start to turn.
- It’s delicious and satisfying, but it also just happens to be gluten-free, low-carb, and Whole30 compliant.
- You can serve it over pasta with your favorite or over zucchini noodles for a low-carb option. If you haven’t tried zoodles before, give them a chance! We LOVE them.
Italian Sausage Onions And Peppers Skillet Meal Prep Tips
- If meal prepping, you can portion out this recipe into air tight containers once it has cooled. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat in the microwave.
- If you want, you can cut the onions and red peppers ahead of time and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. This cuts down on prep time the day of cooking. You can also cook the sausages ahead of time and store them in the fridge as well. Then just add them into the pan at the end.
You May Like: Temp To Cook Chicken In The Oven
Baked Sausage And Peppers Recipe Leftovers
If you are fortunate enough to have leftover Sausage, Peppers and Onions, it stores beautifully to be enjoyed another day.
- Storage: Allow leftover Sausage and Peppers to cool toroom temperature. Store in an airtight containeror portion into smaller containers. Refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- How toreheat: Reheat in the microwave for1 minute, then at additional 30 second intervals as needed. For larger portions, reheat in a non-stick skilletover medium low heat. Reheating leftoversin a skillet is a great time to add diced tomatoes or marinara sauce.
What Sausages To Use For Sheet Pan Sausage And Peppers
The best sausages for this recipe are your favorite sausages. I appreciate the variety found at Costco and Sam’s Club. They are often Bratwurst but not always. I would advise against getting ones with fruit like apple and pineapple since those flavors would compete too much with the Italian theme of the seasonings.
This is a good reminder to read those ingredient labels. Not all sausages are created equally. Some of my favorite clean labels are Applegate, Wellshire, Aidells, Coleman, and Silva among many others. Though this recipe is Whole30, paleo, GAPS, and low carb, the ingredients in that sausage may yield different results.
Be alert to steer clear from ingredients such as monosodium glutamate, sodium lactate, phosphate, and most anything else that’s hard to pronounce.
For this Sausage, Peppers and Onions recipe, we are using approximately one pound of sausage or 5 large links.
Don’t Miss: Are Pyrex Glass Bowls Oven Safe
What Is Sausage And Peppers
Sausage and Peppers is the quintessential Italian-American classic brought to America by southern Italian migrant workers. It became extremely popular at Italian street festivals, block parties, and fairs in the early 1920s.
Italian Sausage andPeppers consists of grilled, broiled, or pan-fried Italian sausages along with sautéedbell peppers and onions seasoned with classic Italian seasonings and vinegarsuch as basil, parsley, oregano and thyme. The combination of juicy sausage and sweet and tangypeppers can be served on its own, or sometimes tomatoesor tomato sauce is also added. Sausageand Peppers can be served plain, on pastas or in Italian subs.
Helpful Tools To Make Italian Sausage And Peppers
- Large Jelly Roll Pan : I use this pan all the time for sheet pan meals and roasting vegetables. You dont want your veggies to overlap or they will steam instead of caramelize. This pan is commercial grade, 18-gauge aluminum for great strength and durability and can hold your heaviest food without warping.
- Quality Knives: a chefs knife will be your most used kitchen tool by far! Quality knives make prep time much quicker and are important for safety as well. If youre concerned about moola, please remember that your best chef knives, depending on how hard you use them and how well you take care of them, can easily last 25 years or more. I love my Wusthofbut there are hundreds of less expensive knives with great reviews such as this one.
- Cutting Board: I use my big solid cutting board daily so its worth the investment. This extra-large cutting board allows you to prep all your veggies on one surface and the bamboo is easier on knives than plastic.
Recommended Reading: Oster Extra-large French Door Air Fry Countertop Oven