What Kind Of Potatoes To Use
To be completely honest, you can use ANY kind of potato for roasting including red skinned, russets, Yukon gold and even sweet potatoes.
To Peel or Not to Peel? While you can peel potatoes before roasting, you definitely do not need to peel them! I personally love the flavor the skin from russet or Idaho potatoes add and I love the look and color of red skin potatoes too!
If youre using small potatoes, you can cut them in half or if theyre tiny, you can just give them a little poke with a fork or knife before baking to allow the steam to escape.
Ways To Use Roasted Potatoes
Crispy roasted potatoes can shine in all sorts of tasty ways.
- As a Side. The easiest way to enjoy herb-roasted potatoes is as a side to many different kinds of main dishes . Combine them with other roasted vegetables for a vitamin-packed medley, like these oven Roasted Potatoes and Carrots. See the next section for great ideas of what to serve with roasted potatoes.
- In a Salad. Make a simple salad more filling by tossing in some crispy roasted potatoes.
- In a Scramble or Hash. Roasted potatoes can instantly become breakfast potatoes. So enjoy them with an over-easy egg on toast, or add them to a savory hash like this Sweet Potato Hash .
- With Fondue. Use roasted potatoes instead of bread with this Cheese Fondue. A great gluten-free option!
How To Make Roasted Baby Potatoes
You May Like: Pizza At The Brick Oven
How Do You Keeping Roasted Potatoes From Getting Soggy
There are a couple of different ways to keep roasted potatoes from getting soggy.
Remove the water. Before placing potatoes into the oven, be sure there is no access water on the potatoes.
Add Oil. Make sure the potatoes are evenly coated in olive oil, this will ensure that they crisp up in the oven.
Dry Rub is the key. Coating the potatoes in a dry rub is very helpful in reducing the moisture in roasted potatoes. Once you have tossed the potatoes in olive oil, coat them the dry rub. After the potatoes have baked, the dry rub will act as a kind of crispy delicious crust!
Which Potatoes Are Best For The Air Fryer
Similar to these Roasted Potatoes and Slow Cooker Potato recipes, the potatoes you use in the air fryer matters. Heres what it boils down to:
- Russets: These will air fry beautifully. They will crisp up wonderfully with a pale golden color. Their insides will be soft and fluffy with a mild flavor. Always a good choice!
- Yukon Golds or Yellow Potatoes: These are a favorite for air frying because they will crisp up perfectly but also turn a bit deeper golden color because of the lower starch and higher sugar content. Their crisp will be a tad softer than a russets however, their insides will be creamy and full of flavor.
- Reds: Red potatoes when roasted will turn an even darker golden brown because of their even higher sugar and lower starch content. They will be crispy coming out but soften quickly on the outside. Their insides will be creamy and soft.
- Baby Potatoes or New Potatoes: These are not a variety or type of potato. They are regular potatoes that have been thinned from the crop early. These potatoes have a high sugar content and roast in the air fryer perfectly as well as hold their shape. Although they can be hard to find in the grocery store as they are somewhat seasonal they are usually a favorite.
Don’t Miss: Salmon On Cedar Plank In Oven
Easy Roasted Potatoes Side Dish
Sometimes coming up with a side dish to make with dinner can be the toughest part. Youve got your main all figured out , but you just dont know what to serve with it.
These easy roasted potatoes are a life saver for me because they are so easy to make and they go with everything! Any time Im struggling to think of a fun good side dish, I just go straight to these seasoned potatoes, because I know they wont let me down!
Lets Make The Best Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes
This is so easy, anyone can make these. Let the kids help, theyll love it. The air fryer makes these almost too easy!
Also Check: L Oven Fresh Keto Bread
How Do You Make Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Clean and cut the potatoes into 1/2-1 inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the oil and spices.
- Spray a shallow baking pan, a baking sheet with 1 sides or cast iron pan with cooking spray or rub lightly with oil. Spread the potatoes in the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Try to have the potatoes in a single layer with space in between for the ultimate crispiness.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Stir the potatoes once after about 15 minutes of baking so they brown on all sides. Turn the broiler on low and broil the potatoes for about 5 minutes to brown them even more. This is optional, but it makes the potatoes crispy. Watch the potatoes closely while they are under the broiler so that they dont burn.
Tips For Crispy Roasted Potatoes
The air fryer recipe makes these foolproof. But here are some tips to help them be awesome!
- Wash: Since youll want to leave the skins on , be sure to wash them thoroughly.
- Oil: If you desire you can use an oil spray to coat your potatoes. You need the oil to help the seasonings stick to the potatoes.
- Preheat: Be sure to allow your air fryer to preheat for maximum crispiness in your roasted potatoes.
- Flip: Use a spatula or a spoon to turn your potatoes. Shaking the basket can cause your roasted potatoes to break apart.
- Know Your Air Fryer: Be sure to read your air fryers manual and know what temperatures and timings will work best with your make and model.
- Even Cooking: To make sure your potatoes roast evenly cut them into same sized pieces.
You May Like: Oster Xl Digital Convection Oven W French Doors
Preparing Potato Wedges For Seasoning
Prepare your potato wedges and soak them for 30 minutes before seasoning to achieve the best results. To prepare them, get the right amount of potatoes and wash them thoroughly to get rid of dirt. You can choose to peel or not, depending on your preference.
Cut into halves and slice them into 3, 4, or more parts depending on the size of your potato. Soak the wedges for 30 minutes and drain the water completely.
How To Make Herb Roasted Potatoes
This easy roasted potatoes recipe is as simple as can be! Potatoes, olive oil, herbs. Thats all you need to make the best herb roasted potatoes, and thats why I love making this side dish for every meal.
How to Make Roasted Potatoes:
Easy seasoned potatoes for every meal!
Id be happy eating these easy roasted potatoes every night of the week with a different main course. The flavor and simplicity of seasoned potatoes would never get old! The way the herbs caramelize on one side while the other side crisps. WOW. Youre going to really love this herb roasted potatoes recipe, especially for Thanksgiving and other holidays. It may not be a traditional holiday side, but it really would be a delicious addition to your Thanksgiving or Christmas table.
See the recipe card below for details on how to make Herb Roasted Potatoes. Enjoy!
If you like this seasoned potatoes recipe, try these other simple potato side dishes:
Recommended Reading: Recipe Roast Vegetables In Oven
How To Clean Red Potatoes Without A Brush
Before you get started making your oven roasted potatoes, youll want to make sure that they are clean. We use plenty of clean water and a vegetable brush that helps to get all the dirt out of the little dips and crevices.
See that little potato man scrubber in our photo? Hes great for scrubbing your potatoes clean! You dont have to use this one, but hes super cute, huh? You can get one here: Spud Dude Potato Brush
While we do recommend using a vegetable scrubber to clean your red potatoes, there are a few options if you dont have one. The most simple option is to use a clean dishcloth and start wiping away the dirt while holding the potato under warm running water. Be sure to scrub into all the crevices and rinse the dirt off of your dishcloth frequently. NOTE: If your potatoes are very dirty, you may want to soak them first for just a bit to loosen up some of the dirt.
If you have a brand new kitchen sponge with a scrubber on one side, you could use that too. But as mentioned above, we dont recommend using a sponge that youve been using to clean dishes and countertops.
Do you have a preferred way to clean potatoes? Share in the comments below!
Once your red potatoes are clean, cut them into pieces that are all about the same size. Depending on the size of your potatoes, you should get about 4-8 pieces from each potato. Lay your cut red potatoes on a baking sheet.
Try This For A Low Carb Substitute
Potatoes have a lot of carbs and since I eat mostly low carb these day I still make recipes like this but I substitute either turnips or radishes. You would not need to soak them, just cut them into uniform pieces and mix with the oil and spices and follow the rest of the recipe.
If you too are watching your carbs try one of these vegetables. Youll be surprised how tasty they are.
Above is the end result of crispy, tasty spicy potatoes with creamy centers. Note you could also use this spice mix on a sweet potato too.
I hope you enjoy this simple recipe because it packs a lot of flavor and is a great side dish for just about any kind of meat. For me its family friendly comfort food and I hope it is for your family as well. Enjoy!
Don’t Miss: Hamilton Beach Air Fryer Toaster Oven Recipes
Expert Tips And Tricks For The Perfect Roasted Potatoes Every Time
- Soak those potatoes first. You dont HAVE TO, but I can assure you that by soaking potatoes first , you will get perfectly crispy, roasted potatoes just like at your favorite restaurant.
- Make sure you drain and dry them well. For the soaking to have the desired effect of removing excess starch, you must drain them and dry them off after soaking.
- Try a salad spinner. I used mine to help dry off the potatoes in record time!
How Do I Make Oven Roasted Potatoes Crispy
There are 2 main keys to getting crispy roasted potatoes: a very hot oven, and plenty of olive oil to coat the potatoes.
For the herb seasoning mixture that dresses the potatoes, I like to use a packet of Italian salad dressing mix. Its a great shortcut option that gives this recipe a ton of flavor, without too much measuring or shopping for spices. Do NOT prepare the salad dressing according to the package instructions simply use the packet of dry seasoning and whisk it together with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Pour the olive oil mixture into a large plastic bag with the diced red potatoes, and toss everything together to make sure that the potatoes are well coated. Spread the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet and theyre ready for the oven!
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Kale In The Oven
How To Bake A Potato
Here Ill show you the step-by-step process for how to make the perfect baked potato. Again, this unique method of dipping the potatoes in salt water, and then brushing them with oil at the end, comes from the scientific chefs at Cooks Illustrated. Its truly the best baked potato recipe!
Dipping Sauces For Potato Wedges
Something to dunk the wedges in is essential!!!
I know some people like tomato sauce or ketchup. Other sauce options Ive seen include BBQ sauce, yogurt, ranch, aoli , and I also like to serve this with Avocado Dipping Sauce.
But for us Aussies, we cant go past sour cream and sweet chilli sauce. In fact, if you order wedges at a bistro, sour cream and sweet chilli is the default serving sauces you have to ask if you DONT want them!!
If youve never tried the sour cream/sweet chilli combo, give it a go! Its outrageously moreish I guarantee youll love it. Nagi
You May Like: How To Cook Kale In Oven
Tips For The Best Baked Potato Recipe
- Prick each potato with a fork before baking. This allows steam to escape so that your potato doesnt explode in the oven.
- Select potatoes that are all roughly the same size and shape so that they will bake in the same amount of time.
- Turn the potatoes over once or twice during the baking process to ensure even cooking.
- According to the folks at Cooks Illustrated, its important to temp the inside of your potato to know when its perfectly cooked. When baking a russet potato, the goal is for its starch to soak up so much interstitial water that its cells sweet and separate, rendering the interior uniformly dry and fluffy. This happens when the inside of the potato exceeds 205°F.
- Cut a slit in the top of your potatoes as soon as they come out of the oven. If you allow a baked potato to sit for too long before cutting into it, the insides will develop a gummy texture.
How To Store Leftovers
- To store leftovers: These potatoes are best enjoyed hot right from the oven, but any leftovers can be stored up to 3 days in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.
- To reheat: Reheat roasted potatoes in the oven at 425 degrees F until warmed through. Or in a fry pan on the stovetop over medium-low heat until warmed through. You can also reheat in the microwave for 45-60 seconds, although not our preference, since they tend to steam instead of maintaining some crispness.
- Ways to use them up: Leftover roasted potatoes are perfect for corned beef hash, egg casserole, and tossed into this kielbasa and cabbage skillet!
Recommended Reading: Dutch Oven Sam’s Club
How To Make Spicy Roasted Potatoes
Step 1: Cut the potatoes into the same size pieces so they cook evenly. Then place them in a bowl of cold water for at least an hour. This keeps them from turning brown and removes some of the excess starch so your potatoes will get nice and crispy.
Step 2: After they have soaked, drain and dry them off with a towel. You can use a tea towel or paper towels but try to get as much of the water off as possible.
Step 3: Mix the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper in a little bowl. Then place the potato pieces into a large mixing bowl and add the olive oil and spice mix. Use your hands and mix well.
Step 4: Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray or a little more olive oil and then spread your potato pieces evenly in a single layer. You dont want to crowd the pan. Give them space so they can cook evenly. Note you could cover your baking sheet with parchment paper if you prefer.
Step 5: Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese and bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 30-40 or until crisp and nicely browned. Baking time may vary depending on the size of your pieces.
Why Make These Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Requires Only 4 Ingredients
- Simple Side Dish
- Can Be Served With Anything
My favorite roasted potatoes with garlic sauce are hard to beat, however, I like to try different spices and flavor combinations! Which is what I did here, crispy roasted potatoes with garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Easy to make, with just a handful of ingredients, these potatoes are the ideal side dish because they pair well with anything and take just 30 minutes to throw together!
Read Also: Is All Clad Oven Safe